The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Hitting Basket Ring

I know that the ball hitting the opponent's backboard is the same as the ball hitting the court in-bounds (4-4-5). Does that apply when the ball hits the basket?

Play: B1 gets a defensive rebound. B1 attempts a pass to B2 on the opposite side of the court. The ball hits (a) A's backboard, or (b) A's basket (ring), and rebounds directly to B1. B1 then dribbles. Ruling?

In (a) an illegal (double) dribble violation (see 4.15.1 C). In (b) ?????
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think the only thing you can have, by the book, is if B1 moved to catch the ball resulting in a travel as in. 4.44.3 C
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I would treat the hall striking only the ring the same as if the player merely tossed the ball up into the air and caught it again.
My reasoning for doing such is that the rules book specifies backboard in the passage which states that action constitutes a dribble. As Bob is aware the ring/basket is not mentioned.
Also, the ball does not contact the floor or an official, so we have no rule that covers the described action.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 11:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To the Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
...see 4.15.1 C ...
4.15.1 SITUATION C: A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A’s backcourt. The ball hits B’s backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and: (a) passes the ball to A2; or (b) starts a dribble. RULING: The pass against B’s backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In (a), the pass is legal action. In (b), it is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)

4-4-5: A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds; see also 4-15-1.

4-15-1: It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own backboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2021 at 11:58am.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If It's Not Illegal, It's Legal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... the rules book specifies backboard in the passage which states that action constitutes a dribble ... the ring/basket is not mentioned ... so we have no rule that covers the described action.
Agree. If it's not illegal, it's legal.

Purpose and intent may handle it, but it's a stretch when the casebook play specifically, and only, mentions "backboard".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2021 at 12:19pm.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
I would treat the hall striking only the ring the same as if the player merely tossed the ball up into the air and caught it again.
4.44.3 SITUATION C: (a) A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor; or (b) A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it. RULING: Legal in (a), but a traveling violation in (b). In (b), since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is illegal. (9-4)

Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My reasoning for doing such is that the rules book specifies backboard in the passage which states that action constitutes a dribble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Purpose and intent may handle it, but it's a stretch when the casebook play specifically, and only, mentions "backboard".
Those seem to be the two options, I agree.

Would you rule the same if:

Play: A1 dribbles on a breakaway At the FT line,(a) A1 tosses the ball off his own back board, catches the ball in the air and dunks it. (b) Attempts to toss the ball off the backboard, but the ball hits the ring and rebounds to A1 who catches the ball in the air and dunks it.

Ruling: (a) legal. (b) ????
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Down The Rabbit Hole ...

Quote:
A1 dribbles on a breakaway At the FT line ... Attempts to toss the ball off the backboard, but the ball hits the ring and rebounds to A1 who catches the ball in the air and dunks it.
Is bob jenkins's insinuating that this is an additional illegal dribble?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2021 at 01:19pm.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is bob jenkins's insinuating that this is an additional illegal dribble?
Just noting that all the rulings need to be consistent.

Play: (yes, it's impractical). A1, from the FC, throws the ball off of (a) B's backboard, or (b) The ring attached to B's backboard. The ball rebounds in the air to A2 who is standing the the FC. Ruling: (a) BC violation. (b) ?????
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Rabbit Hole ...

Quote:
A1, from the FC, throws the ball off of ... The ring attached to B's backboard. The ball rebounds in the air to A2 who is standing the the FC.
Here we go again.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2021 at 01:57pm.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 01:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Extreme Makeover ...

Quote:
... it's impractical ...
I find that by pushing rules to the limits, one can gain great incite into rules language (if one is not limited by what the NFHS publishes, or doesn't publish).

I'm the one who is often criticized by those who believe that my "twists and turns" in the same thread confuse things.

But it's not the case here.

This thread has a common theme of, "What's the location status of the ring compared to the backboard?", and every situation noted by bob jenkins pushes that point further along.

I find this thread to be fun and educationally invigorating, but we should prepare ourselves to never get any closure here, unless a "Mighty Mouse" shows up to "save the day" with an overlooked rule or casebook play citation (Nevaderef's area of expertise).

Or we may have to end up using "purpose and intent", and that's often very subjective.

And then we may have a problem comparing a "real" game call to a written test question.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2021 at 05:49pm.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For Young'uns Only ...

Just for the young'uns out there. Unlike in football (and probably other sports) where a team defends its own goal, in basketball a team's own basket is the basket it's shooting at.

Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree. If it's not illegal, it's legal.

The casebook play also specifically states "the ball hits B's backboard and bounces directly back to A1." Question: What if the ball hits B's backboard, then the ring and then to A1? Would it be legal for A1 to start a dribble? IMHO if A1 started a dribble I would rule a violation in all three situations (backboard only, backboard+ring, ring only) to be consistent in not giving A1 an unfair advantage not intended by the existing rule.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2021, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

What advantage would A1 get if the ball came straight to him, didnt hit the floor and he didnt move?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2021, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

I would consider the ball striking the ring at the opponents goal the same as hitting an official and then returning to A1.