The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 06:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same philosophy here in the high school ranks, but obviously, in an entirely different universe. If I have a choice of working a high school game 55 miles away (my longest ride, have to fight John Deere tractors for a parking space), or lower level games just down the street, I'm working the high school game every single time.

Again, this is why the OP's situation has nothing to do with how things are done in high school ball or your corner of Connecticut.

In college ball, you are taking the higher level game. So lower level supervisors are waiting for D1 officials to get their D1 games and release their open dates. This is why the OP is having his schedule affected as he waits for his supervisors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Raymond and JRutledge. I'm not sure how this topic snowballed, but I assumed it had something to do with Covid and now that's more or less been confirmed.

I'm curious now if there was a similar delay to schedules for the other sports, as I know no change affected soccer.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Again, this is why the OP's situation has nothing to do with how things are done in high school ball or your corner of Connecticut.

In college ball, you are taking the higher level game. So lower level supervisors are waiting for D1 officials to get their D1 games and release their open dates. This is why the OP is having his schedule affected as he waits for his supervisors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yep -- and it means that while the lower level assigners were used to givebacks in September / October, they now need to deal with givebacks in November, December, January ... and it flows down the line.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 09:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Thanks Raymond and JRutledge. I'm not sure how this topic snowballed, but I assumed it had something to do with Covid and now that's more or less been confirmed.

I'm curious now if there was a similar delay to schedules for the other sports, as I know no change affected soccer.
I am sure it does indirectly. I know football this year at the D3 level has gone off without much of a hitch in my area. I have not heard of many stoppages or even officiating challenges directly to COVID. So maybe it will not be as bad in that sport as it has not been in football.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 07:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Last Minute Changes Related To COVID ...

Quote:
Our high school assignments trickle out with only two weeks in advance. Many still don't like it that way. We've been told that this makes it easier for the assigner to make last minute changes.

That's in a normal year. During COVID last year we got our assignments only one week in advance, sometimes day to day.

So my uneducated guess to Player989random, maybe it has something to do with the possibility of last minute changes related to COVID.

Was my uneducated guess that much far from the more educated answers from our college guys?

Quote:
Could be similar to the reason why my scholastic assignor "trickles" out our assignments, so that he could easily make last minute changes, especially in this age of COVID ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 08:10am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 07:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Water Flows Downhill ...

Quote:
So lower level supervisors are waiting for D1 officials to get their D1 games and release their open dates. This is why the OP is having his schedule affected as he waits for his supervisors.
While I don't work those games anymore, I'm pretty sure that the "mini assigners" of lower level games (Catholic middle schools, travel, recreation) were having difficulties assigning their games last (COVID) year due to our high school assigner assigning games only days, or hours, in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... and it flows down the line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:03am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 08:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Too Many Plates To Keep Spinning ...

Quote:
We've been told that this makes it easier for the assigner to make last minute changes.
Quote:
... "mini assigners" of lower level games (Catholic middle schools, travel, recreation) were having difficulties assigning their games last (COVID) year due to our high school assigner assigning games only hours, or days, in advance.
You couldn't pay me enough to be an assigner (at any level). Too many plates to keep spinning. And yet, the last time we had a vacancy for our scholastic assigner position, we had a dozen people apply for the job.

Note: Salary for our assignment commissioner is $32,200 (70 high schools, many middle schools, 280 officials), plus our local board pays ($2,020) for Arbiter access.

Many years ago I was asked to take on the assigner role for my hometown's recreation and travel programs. I couldn't say, "No thank you", fast enough.

For years I took on the role of assigner for boys and girls unpaid (they're now paid) preseason scrimmages for my hometown high school (I coached in the school system). It was a real headache for only, at most, four, or five, scrimmages. Too many last minute changes (dates, times) from both the athletic director and the officials assigned. This was mostly before email. I was glad when the high school (and all Connecticut high schools, in all sports) went to a mandated (by the CIAC) paid scrimmage system through our high school assigner and Arbiter.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 08, 2021 at 09:02am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 09:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

So my uneducated guess to Player989random, maybe it has something to do with the possibility of last minute changes related to COVID.

Was my uneducated guess that much far from the more educated answers from our college guys?
You really should stop talking about this. The season is almost a month away for many (not including scrimmages) and it has nothing to do with last-minute changes. D1 is operating very differently than last year and many things are being asked of the officials like showing vaccination status and more testing to all participants. No one is making last minute changes, they are waiting on the D1 to assign their staffs and the lower level college conferences are waiting so they can not make changes during the season because they did not anticipate that an official might work a higher level game. A D1 assignment can affect a D2, D3, NAIA and JUCO all at the same time. Because if an official had a lower level college game and gets a D1 assignment, there are supervisors that have to fill in the spot that person left. So they wait until most of the assignments are made so they do not have to make multiple changes because of someone they assigned too soon. The only way this affects high school is if someone that works high school is now offered a college game to fill in after someone moves up even if it involves several games.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 09:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, your whole direction of the conversation was off-base to what the OP was asking about. He is very much aware of how HS assigning works.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 10:15am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Last Minute Assignments ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
D1 is operating very differently than last year and many things are being asked of the officials like showing vaccination status and more testing to all participants. No one is making last minute changes, they are waiting on the D1 to assign their staffs and the lower level college conferences are waiting so they can not make changes during the season because they did not anticipate that an official might work a higher level game.
JRutledge is correct. I was wrong. I should have said last minute assignments, not last minute changes.

Which is the way my high school assigner did it last (COVID) year, assigning games only days, or hours, in advance.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:05am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Possibility Of Late Assignments Related To COVID ...

Quote:
Yes, your whole direction of the conversation was off-base to what the OP was asking about.
While I probably gave too much (local scholastic) background information (changing from entire season published to a slow trickle), I was also probably not too far off with my uneducated guess: the possibility of late assignments (not changes) related to COVID.

A change from an open date to a late assignment can be considered a change, but that's semantic nit picking when looking at it from either viewpoint, and I've already admitted to my poor choice of words.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:05am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JRutledge is correct. I was wrong. I should have said last minute assignments, not last minute changes.

Which is the way my high school assigner did it last (COVID) year, assigning games only days, or hours, in advance.
Again there are no last-minute assignments at the D1 level. They have all the time in the world and expectation that their games are going to be covered. Unless you are an NBA official, you are not making more money than a D1 official for each game. And unlike many high school or even lower-level college officials, guys and gals are getting on planes to officiate in many parts of the region or taking 4 to 7-hour drives to games for checks with a comma. Nothing last minute about what an assignor is doing. They are later this year because there are some challenges with who can work and where they can go because of the conference and school protocols. Kind of like the situation in the NBA where only vaccinated players, coaches, and officials can work games in New York. But again we are a month away from the season really being started at the D1 level. So nothing is last minute at this stage.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

See You Later Alligator (Bill Haley And His Comets, 1956) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They are later this year because there are some challenges with who can work and where they can go because of the conference and school protocols.
I probably should have said "later" instead of "last minute".

Wait. I had already used the word "late" in post #26. I beat JRutledge to the punch.

Quote:
Possibility Of Late Assignments Related To COVID
Quote:
I was also probably not too far off with my uneducated guess: the possibility of late assignments ... related to COVID.
Slowly, one post at a time, I've learned a little about college assigning in this thread.

Not a lot, but enough to comment on the subject to liven up a cocktail party.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 12:01pm.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
While I probably gave too much (local scholastic) background information (changing from entire season published to a slow trickle), I was also probably not too far off with my uneducated guess: the possibility of late assignments (not changes) related to COVID.

A change from an open date to a late assignment can be considered a change, but that's semantic nit picking when looking at it from either viewpoint, and I've already admitted to my poor choice of words.
It's just me, but I'm thinking he was looking for answers from folks who have some first-hand experience or insider information. I don't think the was looking for "uneducated guesses" that he could come up with himself. Again, that's just me.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Not a lot, but enough to comment on the subject to liven up a cocktail party.
AKA: misinformation