Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Arbiter Accounts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I can tell you do not know how Arbiter works. The different accounts are for the assignors or organizations that have access to their own assigning accounts.
Now that I think about it, maybe I know a little.

When I log onto Arbiter, I have four accounts. Two for my local scholastic assigner (one for local scholastic assignments and one for local scholastic Arbiter Pay); and two for my state association (one for state tournament assignments (and announcements), and one for state tournament Arbiter Pay). Every official in Connecticut has two accounts with the state association, whether one usually works state tournament games, or not (somehow tied into criminal background checks and, for this year, COVID vaccination status (or medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief), electronically "signing" a sworn affidavit). I used to have a fifth account, for my Catholic middle school assigner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 29, 2021 at 12:52pm.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks for answering, I really didn't expect you to answer. I was just marveling.

If I may be so bold?

High school and college, multiple levels, multiple sports, multiple states, how many "assigners" do you actually work for? What's the most assigners (multiple sports) you actually worked for in any one year? What's the most basketball assigners you actually worked for in any one season?
All the Chicago area assignors are under one account. But I might work for about 10 different people in total. Some wait until the last minute and get no games, but can fill open dates on Arbiter.

I work for 5 college supervisors (range from all levels except D1).

And I work mainly for 1 Indiana assignor, even though I am working one game for another assignor for one game.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mens Recreation Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For the rest, for low level games, easy come, easy go. Maybe I'm available, maybe I'm not, maybe thank you, maybe no thank you. I have skills that are needed, there are not an unlimited number of available skilled officials, I work on my terms, I can always shop around. Supply and demand.
In ancient times, before my local board assigned girls high school games, and we had more available officials than games to be assigned, our local high school assigner actually assigned a few mens league games, subvarsity officials couldn't opt out, it was viewed as a training ground. That stopped when we started working girls high school games, doubling our assignments.

Here in my hometown, we had a veteran official assign our hometown mens recreation games. Most of the games went to his longtime buddies, I was the new guy. I worked a few fill in games for him and found that it wasn't my cup of tea. Extremely lazy mechanics. Never any switching. Unsporting behavior almost always ignored. Every game I worked I felt like I was the new sheriff in town. While I didn't totally quit his league, I did tell him to put my name dead last on the fill in list. Thankfully, he complied.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 29, 2021 at 01:48pm.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Impressive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... Chicago ... I might work for about 10 different people in total ... work for 5 college supervisors ... work mainly for 1 Indiana assignor,
Again: Wow.

Still doing football and baseball?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 29, 2021 at 01:43pm.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not work anything but high school and college. I do not work girls or women's basketball at all either. I keep it simple. Works for me and we do not have any assigning organization for the most part in Illinois. Assignors work for the conferences and they have very little if any affiliation with one group. The only one that does is the COA which the assignor assigns mostly Catholic League Members, but hires many more that are not members of the COA.

I do not have the stomach for middle school, Men's leagues, rec leagues or anything not associated directly with schools. Then again I have little time. About 4 days a week is enough.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure where this notion that college assigners don't use Arbiter comes from. Four of my five leagues are on Arbiter.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Correct...but for college leagues that still use Arbiter, some coordinators will simply pass over you if you show that you have 'something.' And in a state where HS assignments are done thru Arbiter well in advance of college assignments, it cost me from getting more college games in the past.
Yep, and this exact conundrum is one of the reasons I am glad I live in a state where HS games are assigned 2-3 weeks in advance at the most.

It also is another flaw of Arbiter that they have refused to address.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2021, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not sure where this notion that college assigners don't use Arbiter comes from. Four of my five leagues are on Arbiter.
I do not think anyone said that college assignors do not use Arbiter. Certainly the case for most of my career. My longest working league the assignor still uses Arbiter and has not given it up. But Division 1 was using Blue Zebra for the most part and many supervisors that are D1 officials have used that system. Now there is RefQuest Plus that is coming into play and used as an assigning site. Two of my supervisors have used that site and it seems like more are going to make that change. But Arbiter is the most popular site overall. But it is losing users and one of the reasons is the NCAA is walking away from the assigning piece of that site.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 11, 2021, 01:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Recent email from supervisor:

"...attempt to schedule and knowing that the D1 Leagues have NOT sent out their dates/sites,it looks like a lot of you have been assigned and/or accpeted dates from other JUCO and/or D2 or D3 leagues that use Arbiter. When this happens, and even if you have not accepted these dates, if the other league uses Arbiter you show not available..."

"...I had a call with Arbiter about this and there is nothing they can do about this..."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 11, 2021, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

When an officials does not show up, all you have to do is click Potential Officials and then you can see where and the group that is making that official Unavailable
Old Thu Nov 11, 2021, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Recent email from supervisor:

"...attempt to schedule and knowing that the D1 Leagues have NOT sent out their dates/sites,it looks like a lot of you have been assigned and/or accpeted dates from other JUCO and/or D2 or D3 leagues that use Arbiter. When this happens, and even if you have not accepted these dates, if the other league uses Arbiter you show not available..."

"...I had a call with Arbiter about this and there is nothing they can do about this..."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hogwash. There is something Arbiter could do about it, they just don't want to.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2021, 05:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree. They have kind of messed up their system somehow. These were not problems over a year ago. Not sure why it is now?

Peace
Old Fri Nov 12, 2021, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. That behavior makes absolutely zero sense. In my system, I let officials declare which leagues schedules have priority and which one can block another one.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2021, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
When an officials does not show up, all you have to do is click Potential Officials and then you can see where and the group that is making that official Unavailable
If true, that is actually a huge security/privacy hole. Assignor A should have zero visibility into what Assignor B is doing unless either Assignor B or the individual official grants access to that information.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2021, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree. That behavior makes absolutely zero sense. In my system, I let officials declare which leagues schedules have priority and which one can block another one.
Do they do it online or do they send that to you? That sounds like extra work that would be annoying. Not because you do not need to have some understanding, but are we talking the same level? Because if an assignor does not know that I would rather work a college game for more money than a high school game, then we have some bigger issues with the schedule. But then again we do not have assignors that have that much control over us. And no high school assignor should be acting like working their game over a college game (regardless of what I have to do to work the game), I would not want to work for them.

Peace