Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What'cha Call Experts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Misinformation
No. Raymond and JRutledge have given me enough "first hand" expert information to impress hot single women at cocktail parties.

"Shaken and not stirred."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 12:47pm.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Cents ...

Quote:
It's just me, but I'm thinking he was looking for answers from folks who have some first-hand experience or insider information.
Agree. But since there appears to be no additional fees for making or reading posts on the Forum, I just thought I would offer my two cents, how we went from a full season of assignments published at once; to trickles two weeks at a time; to day to day, hour to hour, during COVID last year.

Even with my ignorance of college assigning, I was still able to (I believe) come up with a somewhat logical and close to the mark explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Late Assignments Related To COVID
JRutledge and Raymond did come up with the first-hand experience and insider information that Player989random sought.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 12:49pm.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

or

Quote:

There is not always a equivalency or a correlation to what you do in your little corner of Connecticut. It is alright not to make it about your local environment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I bet there is never a conversation in a locker room or officials' get-together where you don't jump in with your perspective, no matter what the subject is.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 12:54pm.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Agree. But since there appears to be no additional fees for making or reading posts on the Forum, I just thought I would offer my two cents, how we went from a full season of assignments published at once; to trickles two weeks at a time; to day to day, hour to hour, during COVID last year.

Even with my ignorance of college assigning, I was still able to (I believe) come up with a somewhat logical and close to the mark explanation.

JRutledge and Raymond did come up with the first-hand experience and insider information that Player989random sought.
What does your high school assignment process have anything to do with this situation asked about in the OP? Nothing.

Even the stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with how games are given in my area and I work in 2 different states. Most of my high school games have been assigned since the summer. It literally has nothing to do with what happens in college other than people with opportunities will likely give a date or two back. But that happens without a college assignment. So more information that is irrelevant to the discussion we are trying to have with stuff about where you live that does not matter to most across the country.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Similar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What does your high school assignment process have anything to do with this situation asked about in the OP?
This:

Quote:
... how we went from a full season of assignments published at once; to trickles two weeks at a time ...
Quote:
... changing from entire season published to a slow trickle ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 02:57pm.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Guilty As Charged ...

Quote:
I bet there is never a conversation in a locker room or officials' get-together where you don't jump in with your perspective, no matter what the subject is.
I am so curious, want everything double checked and confirmed, and want all i's dotted and all t's crossed, that my colleagues have been known to restrict me to three questions at our local meetings.

Everything about basketball officiating interests me, and nothing about basketball officiating doesn't interest me.

Same thing with backyard chickens. Had a periodontist appointment today. Knowing that I raised backyard chickens, my periodontist had many questions for me because his adult daughter (a former student of mine) just started a backyard flock. I was more than pleased to oblige. A normal forty-five minute appointment turned into an hour long appointment.

Being a direct paternal descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century C.E., I definitely have the Irish gift of gab.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 01:38pm.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 01:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I am so curious, want everything double checked and confirmed, and want all i's dotted and all t's crossed, that my colleagues have been known to restrict me to three questions at our local meetings.

Everything about basketball officiating interests me, and nothing about basketball officiating doesn't interest me.

Same thing with backyard chickens. Had a periodontist appointment today. Knowing that I raised backyard chickens, my periodontist had many questions for me because his adult daughter (a former student of mine) just started a backyard flock. I was more than pleased to oblige. A normal forty-five minute appointment turned into an hour long appointment.

Being a direct paternal descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century C.E., I definitely have the gift of gab.
Questions are great, especially when the subject matter is outside one's scope of expertise or knowledge.

In this case, I saw lots of statements, so I don't think your anecdote applies.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2021, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dovetailing ...

Quote:
Questions are great, especially when the subject matter is outside one's scope of expertise or knowledge. In this case, I saw lots of statements, so I don't think your anecdote applies.
Didn't have a lot of questions because I was mostly posting about my local high school assigning policy (something that I already knew a lot about), spitballing to see if something would stick and if it had any bearing on the original (college) post.

I found out that while there was some dovetailing, it wasn't really that much.

Quote:
... how we went from a full season of assignments published at once; to trickles two weeks at a time ...
Quote:
... changing from entire season published to a slow trickle ...
Quote:
Possibility Of Late Assignments Related To COVID
I'm never afraid to ask questions, but sometimes one doesn't know what one doesn't know.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 02:59pm.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 03:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

The dominoes have finally fallen.

I just received a bunch of D2 and D3 assignments over the last 3 days. I've had to turn in one JuCo assignment and I have had a bunch of partner changes in my other JuCo games, including the one I ended up turning back.

This is the situation the OP was referring to.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 03:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The dominoes have finally fallen.

I just received a bunch of D2 and D3 assignments over the last 3 days. I've had to turn in one JuCo assignment and I have had a bunch of partner changes in my other JuCo games, including the one I ended up turning back.

This is the situation the OP was referring to.
My understanding is one of the consortiums just dropped their games for November over the weekend. I have literally 1 NAIA game (I have a tournament but that does not count for this conversation with 4 games over Thanksgiving) and 1 D2 game who said he only dropped games through November. I have about 3 D3 games but had them for some weeks now. Nothing in December and beyond other than JUCO which is likely going to be given back once everything really comes out.

All my supervisors were not very happy in the end because of the late assignments. Usually, we have most of the initial schedule in August or September. Not this time.

Who cares what HS is doing because that is not what the OPer was even referencing. Just one person. LOL!!!

Peace
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Covid ...

Quote:
The dominoes have finally fallen. I just received a bunch of D2 and D3 assignments over the last 3 days. I've had to turn in one JuCo assignment and I have had a bunch of partner changes in my other JuCo games, including the one I ended up turning back.
Quote:
My understanding is one of the consortiums just dropped their games for November over the weekend ... Nothing in December and beyond other than JUCO which is likely going to be given back once everything really comes out. All my supervisors were not very happy in the end because of the late assignments. Usually, we have most of the initial schedule in August or September. Not this time.
COVID related?

Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 04:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Two of my conferences just finalized and released their COVID policies for the season this past Friday and Saturday.

Draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut COVID Protocols ...

Quote:
Two of my conferences just finalized and released their COVID policies for the season ...
Not sure what all the COVID protocols will be in Connecticut scholastic games this upcoming season.

Last year: Masks for all (players, coaches, officials, fans). Officials come in uniform (no locker rooms available for officials). Number of fans limited (varied from one school system to another, usually one, or two parents allowed per player, no student fans). Short regular season. No state tournament (just conference tournaments).

This year: Interscholastic athletic officials must be fully vaccinated for COVID, or be exempted from the vaccine requirement for reasons of medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief. Governor's executive order in already in place (expires February 15, 2022) for an indoor mask mandate in all schools (fall indoor girls volleyball players and indoor girls swimmers (on pool deck) wore masks, as did officials, coaches, and fans). Full regular season and state tournament planned.

No word yet on number of fans allowed (will be decided by individual school systems), or locker room availability for officials.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 26, 2021 at 12:41pm.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not sure what all the COVID protocols will be in Connecticut scholastic games this upcoming season.

Last year: Masks for all (players, coaches, officials, fans). Officials come in uniform (no locker rooms available for officials). Number of fans limited (varied from one school system to another, usually one, or two parents allowed per player, no student fans). Short regular season. No state tournament (just conference tournaments).

This year: Interscholastic athletic officials must be fully vaccinated for COVID, or be exempted from the vaccine requirement for reasons of medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief. Governor's executive order in already in place (expires February 15, 2022) for an indoor mask mandate in all schools (fall indoor girls volleyball players and indoor girls swimmers (on pool deck) wore masks, as did officials, coaches, and fans). Full regular season and state tournament planned.

No word yet on number of fans allowed (will be decided by individual school systems), or locker room availability for officials.
Still all has little to do with the original question. This was not about high school officiating at all, but why scheduling is taking so long than normal.

And yes some assigning might be COVID policy related but not much else. Institutions are trying to decide as compared to last year what they will do that is different or if they will keep some of the same policies they had before.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

COVID Protocols ...

Quote:
Quote:
Still all has little to do with the original question.
My post wasn't about the original post of the thread, but was a response to a very recent post by Raymond regarding COVID policies.

Quote:
Two of my conferences just finalized and released their COVID policies for the season ...
I thought that my post would spark some interest from others to share their state scholastic COVID policies.

Quote:
Institutions are trying to decide as compared to last year what they will do that is different or if they will keep some of the same policies they had before.
Which is exactly what I did in my post, note "Last year" and "This year".

Quote:
Last year: Masks for all (players, coaches, officials, fans). Officials come in uniform (no locker rooms available for officials). Number of fans limited (varied from one school system to another, usually one, or two parents allowed per player, no student fans). Short regular season. No state tournament (just conference tournaments).This year: Interscholastic athletic officials must be fully vaccinated for COVID, or be exempted from the vaccine requirement for reasons of medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief. Governor's executive order in already in place (expires February 15, 2022) for an indoor mask mandate in all schools (fall indoor girls volleyball players and indoor girls swimmers (on pool deck) wore masks, as did officials, coaches, and fans). Full regular season and state tournament planned. No word yet on number of fans allowed (will be decided by individual school systems), or locker room availability for officials.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 26, 2021 at 01:37pm.