Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Number One Answer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see contact until the white player grabs the arm and tries to swim it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... Blue #2's intentionally and illegally extended arm into White #24"s chest kept White #24 three feet farther away from the basket and a possible rebound. This gave a much shorter Blue #2, with an inside position, a possible tremendous rebounding advantage over a much taller White #24.
Quote:
Look at the video again, "First Blood" was Blue #2 intentionally and illegally extending an arm into White #24"s chest, which was followed almost immediately (split second) by White #24 intentionally and illegally latching onto Blue #2's extended arm.
Blink and you will miss it. It was that close ("followed almost immediately (split second)"). Slow the video down and one can clearly but barely see the touch first, and then the latch on.

JRutledge already matched the "number one answer", and should be pleased that his interpretation is agreed upon by many.

The “Gang of Four” IAABO Co-Coordinators of Interpreters seem to imply that both "contacts" occurred at the same time (contradicting both JRutledge and me).

Quote:
Blue #2, extends his right arm into the torso on White #24. As this occurs, white #24 grabs the arm of Blue #2.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 10, 2021 at 12:33pm.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Blink and you will miss it. It was that close ("followed almost immediately (split second)"). Slow the video down and one can clearly but barely see the touch first, and then the latch on.

JRutledge already matched the "number one answer", that would satisfy me.
I do not think I missed anything. I saw what I saw and used my judgment to draw a conclusion. IT does not mean that there could not have been a foul at some point with that action, but we are not talking about an action in general, but the specific kind of play. IAABO is asking for an answer in the poll, they are not asking for a breaking down of the video and why you call it one way or the other.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:51am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If only the question had given you the number(s) to watch....

On *this* play -- I have no foul because the ball went OOB, so there was no advantage gained.

If the ball had remained live, I have a foul on white for pulling the arm.
I like Bob's answer (as usual)...step in and tell them both to knock it off and play on.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Video Breakdown ...

Quote:
IAABO is asking for an answer in the poll, they are not asking for a breaking down of the video and why you call it one way or the other.
Two parts to these play commentaries. Yes, there is a poll, but then there is a video breakdown with "correct" answer based on the combined expertise of four highly respected veteran interpreters (trainers) who have been selected to lead and train this organization of 15,000 basketball officials.

And, yes, sometimes they get it wrong. They themselves have occasionally admitted such.

And yes, often the poll "winners" are wrong.

Note: Not only are IAABO members asked for an multiple choice answer, but in order to answer such, they must give a reason, it's mandatory, not optional.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 10, 2021 at 12:06pm.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
I have no foul because the ball went OOB, so there was no advantage gained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I like Bob's answer (as usual) ... step in and tell them both to knock it off and play on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
That greater than 10% of the respondents viewed this as a "play on" type of action is interesting; leading one to infer that this series of actions wasn't really all that "foul-worthy" to begin with.
13% is nothing to sneeze at, and should probably not be discounted, overlooked, or ignored.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 10, 2021 at 12:04pm.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Two parts to these play commentaries. Yes, there is a poll, but then there is a video breakdown with "correct" answer based on the combined expertise of four highly respected veteran interpreters (trainers) who have been selected to lead ad train this organization of 15,000 basketball officials.

And, yes, sometimes they get it wrong.They themselves have occasionally admitted such.

And yes, often the poll "winners" are wrong.

Note: Not only are IAABO members asked for an multiple choice answer, but in order to answer such, they must give a reason, it's mandatory, not optional.
I break down film all the time and get opinions from very experienced officials as well and they sometimes disagree. So why is this new in IAABO? Been to camps where you show a play or explain a play and there are different ways to handle it by the clinicians. This is your organization and you have a right to value their opinion. I met Donnie Eppley this past July and he is a great guy and I would value his opinion if talking to him about these plays. But I work for some guys that are D1 and have a lot of experience and when we have shown plays on other forums, often we hear differing opinions from those individuals. So it is not about who wins a poll, but what took place and the way it was explained to call the play. I did not say I was right or care what others think, I saw this play because I have seen plays like this 100 times and was told how to call it by people I work for or work with. If the contact was by the black player, then call that foul and move on. I am not a fan of double fouls in general. Get the first foul.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 12:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Fouls ...

Quote:
I am not a fan of double fouls in general. Get the first foul.
Agree 100%. If I do call a rare double foul in a real game (seldom more than one, or two, a season, if that) it's usually in the first period to remind a few knuckleheads (usually bigs fighting for post up dominance, or while rebounding) that I'm watching.

One exception: It's a call that I like to make in preseason scrimmages, usually boys scrimmages. Two opponents trying to fight their way onto the varsity roster, or a earn a starting spot, both trying to impress their coaches during the little scrimmage time they get by puffing out their chests and trying to be the alpha male. Whistle. Double foul. "Cut that out".

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 10, 2021 at 12:35pm.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
That greater than 10% of the respondents (who have been trained in the same IABO way) viewed this as a "play on" type of action is interesting; leading one to infer that this series of actions wasn't really all that "foul-worthy" to begin with.
However, do you guys ever call a foul on a player for feigning a foul? I know its a foul in the NF rule book (chapter and verse: 10.?.?). But honestly don't think it s ever called, agreeably it would require temerity to do so.
Based on all the videos and responses, you'd get greater than 10% answering incorrectly to "Tue or False -- The basketball must be an approves shade of orange, red-orange, or brown"
Old Sat Sep 11, 2021, 09:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pretty Good Cross Section Of All Basketball Officials ...

Quote:
Based on all the videos and responses, you'd get greater than 10% answering incorrectly to "True or False -- The basketball must be an approves shade of orange, red-orange, or brown"
The seven hundred, or so, IAABO members that comment on these videos probably represent a pretty good (but not perfect, those who volunteer to participate may not be the same as those that do not volunteer to participate) cross section of all 15,000 IAABO basketball officials. Those 15,000 IAABO basketball officials probably represent a pretty good (but not perfect) cross section of all basketball officials.

Great basketball officials. Journeymen basketball officials. Poor basketball officials. Varsity basketball officials. Junior varsity basketball officials. Freshmen basketball officials. Middle school basketball officials. Basketball officials with decades of experience. Inexperienced basketball officials. Rookie basketball officials. Basketball officials with great local trainers and training. Basketball officials with average local trainers and training. Basketball officials with below average local trainers and training.

Some with better rules knowledge than others, just like many Forum members would find in their own local or state organizations.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 11, 2021 at 06:08pm.