The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

dead ball foul or live ball foul

A1 is oob awaiting the ball to be handed to him for a throw in. While waiting the teams start there inbound play early when B2 runs directly through a screen by A2.
The ball is still dead until the ball is handed to the thrower, correct? There for it would be a Technical foul???
When I first heard this scenario I first was thinking that the ball is at the disposal of the thrower so it would be a live ball common foul, but after researching and studying a little more in depth I believe my initial thought was incorrect.
However depending on the severity of the foul I think I would have just told the players to hold up the play hasn't started yet.
I'm asking two things. 1) what is the correct ruling 2) How would you have handled the situation?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got nothing unless it would have been ruled an intentional foul during a live ball.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
A1 is oob awaiting the ball to be handed to him for a throw in. While waiting the teams start there inbound play early when B2 runs directly through a screen by A2.
The ball is still dead until the ball is handed to the thrower, correct? There for it would be a Technical foul???
When I first heard this scenario I first was thinking that the ball is at the disposal of the thrower so it would be a live ball common foul, but after researching and studying a little more in depth I believe my initial thought was incorrect.
However depending on the severity of the foul I think I would have just told the players to hold up the play hasn't started yet.
I'm asking two things. 1) what is the correct ruling 2) How would you have handled the situation?
You only have the options to call an intentional or flagrant technical foul. If the contact necessitates such foul, then call it.

-Josh
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
You only have the options to call an intentional or flagrant technical foul. If the contact necessitates such foul, then call it.

-Josh
Or tell them to knock that s*** off and then go back and administer the throw in. That's what happens 99% of the time (rarely is the contact I or F, so it's "ignored" by rule, even if it needs to be "addressed" by the official).
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
or tell them to knock that s*** off and then go back and administer the throw in. That's what happens 99% of the time (rarely is the contact i or f, so it's "ignored" by rule, even if it needs to be "addressed" by the official).
+1
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

that is my reaction as well. This was a discusion that was brought up amongst a few relatively veteran officials at a scrimmage.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
that is my reaction as well. This was a discusion that was brought up amongst a few relatively veteran officials at a scrimmage.
Was there a consensus?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

not really. That is why I wanted to see what you all said. But the conscenses was if there was one was dead ball foul which was a technical foul.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:14pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
not really. That is why I wanted to see what you all said. But the conscenses was if there was one was dead ball foul which was a technical foul.
I think it is either an intentional or flagrant if it is dead ball, maybe?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I think it is either an intentional or flagrant if it is dead ball, maybe?
Either way, it's technical.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:34pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Either way, it's technical.
Yea, I looked it up after I said that. Doh!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

-Josh
I do tell them to cut it out the first time it happens. If telling them once doesn't work, I've been known to withhold the ball and wait until they cease contact. There is nothing in the rule book saying that we have to immediately put the ball in play. Back away from the thrower and bounce it to him after the shenanigans cease.

-Josh