The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

BI on Throw in

Phoenix Suns score on a throw in with .9 seconds remaining last night. I thought the NBA rule was the same as NFHS?? That is offensive BI in a High Schoo game.
Thoughts?
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NBE rules permit the offense to reach into the cylinder to contact the ball on an inbounds pass. This isn’t real basketball. It’s an entertainment show which believes that offense equates to money and sales.

I went and watched the highlight on ESPN. You are correct that this is illegal under NFHS rules.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

NFHS 4-6-2: Basket interference occurs when a *player* (offense or defense)...Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.

Case Book 9.11.2 SITUATION C applies, but since this is offensive basket interference, no points may be scored:

"Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly into the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A’s basket?

B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line. (4-6)"
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 06:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if the NBE rules permit the offense to reach into the cylinder to contact the ball on an inbounds pass. This isn’t real basketball. It’s an entertainment show which believes that offense equates to money and sales.

I went and watched the highlight on ESPN. You are correct that this is illegal under NFHS rules.
Either team is allowed to contact the ball. The announcers explained that rather clearly before they even started showing replays.

It's a rules difference, just like FIBA allows the ball to be taken off the rim. Guess international basketball isn't real either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hearing Something A Hundred Times Isn't Better Than Seeing It Once (Confucius) ...

https://youtu.be/MfWzzSFGb34
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 23, 2021 at 08:48am.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 09:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Throwins ...

Just a reminder to high school centric officials.

Offensive and defensive basket interference can be called on a throwin.

Offensive and defensive goaltending can't be called on a throwin because the throwin is not a legal try.

It's perfectly legal for any player on the court to touch a throwin ball while it's on its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and having the the possibility of entering the basket.

Basket Interference: A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 23, 2021 at 09:53am.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2021, 06:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Embedding is your friend

Peace
Old Thu Jun 24, 2021, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Here is an article detailing how the NBA rule is in fact different from that of NFHS during a throw-in.

AP Photo transref:WCF143, transref:WCF148

By TIM REYNOLDS=

AP Basketball Writer=

When Phoenix's Deandre Ayton reached over the rim to dunk Jae Crowder's pass for what became the winning points of the Suns' 104-103 win over the Los Angeles Clippers, several players immediately argued that the play was illegal.

Perhaps it was wishful thinking on their part.

Or, perhaps more likely, they did not fully understand the rule.

In almost any other situation, what Ayton did would have been a violation - offensive basket interference - and the shot shouldn't have counted. But in this situation, what he did was perfectly legal.

WHY DID IT COUNT?

NBA Rule 11, Section I, Subsection f gives part of the answer.

That rule states that a player shall not ''touch any ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to score. This is considered to be a `field goal attempt' or trying for a goal.''

Crowder's pass - an extremely difficult one - was not a field goal attempt. Because it was an inbounds pass, it would not have counted as a field goal even if it went through the basket untouched by a teammate. The goaltending rule doesn't apply for the same reason.

CAN THIS HAPPEN DURING LIVE PLAY?

No. Such a play only works with the clock not running, or in NBA parlance, when the ball isn't ''live.''

During a live-ball situation as play is happening, if Crowder wanted to throw an alley-oop pass to Ayton and not be part of a violation he would have to ensure that the ball isn't what's called ''inside the cylinder'' - basically, an imaginary ring extending up from the surface of the rim.

But the clock was not running. This was not a live ball.

From the NBA case book, addressing such a situation: ''Goaltending or basket interference has not occurred. For either of these violations to occur, a ball which is alive must enter the cylinder area after having been legally touched on the playing court. All players must consider this type of play as an ordinary throw-in and anyone may attempt to gain possession of the ball without penalty.''

HAS THIS HAPPENED BEFORE?

Yes, and perhaps most notably, in Phoenix.

During a game on Dec. 26, 2017 between the Suns and Memphis Grizzlies - tied with 0.6 seconds remaining - then-Suns coach Jay Triano called for a play where Phoenix's Dragan Bender would throw an inbounds pass over the rim and set up Tyson Chandler for a dunk.

Triano had asked the NBA long beforehand if such a scenario would be legal. The NBA confirmed that it would be, and Triano kept the idea stashed in his mind for such a moment. Bender's pass was precise, Chandler got the dunk down and the Suns won 99-97.

''It's a rule a lot of people don't know,'' Triano said that night. ''You cannot goaltend a ball that isn't going to count.''

---

More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Old Thu Jun 24, 2021, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is an article detailing how the NBA rule is in fact different from that of NFHS during a throw-in.

AP Photo transref:WCF143, transref:WCF148

By TIM REYNOLDS=

AP Basketball Writer=

When Phoenix's Deandre Ayton reached over the rim to dunk Jae Crowder's pass for what became the winning points of the Suns' 104-103 win over the Los Angeles Clippers, several players immediately argued that the play was illegal.

Perhaps it was wishful thinking on their part.

Or, perhaps more likely, they did not fully understand the rule.

In almost any other situation, what Ayton did would have been a violation - offensive basket interference - and the shot shouldn't have counted. But in this situation, what he did was perfectly legal.

WHY DID IT COUNT?

NBA Rule 11, Section I, Subsection f gives part of the answer.

That rule states that a player shall not ''touch any ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to score. This is considered to be a `field goal attempt' or trying for a goal.''

Crowder's pass - an extremely difficult one - was not a field goal attempt. Because it was an inbounds pass, it would not have counted as a field goal even if it went through the basket untouched by a teammate. The goaltending rule doesn't apply for the same reason.

CAN THIS HAPPEN DURING LIVE PLAY?

No. Such a play only works with the clock not running, or in NBA parlance, when the ball isn't ''live.''

During a live-ball situation as play is happening, if Crowder wanted to throw an alley-oop pass to Ayton and not be part of a violation he would have to ensure that the ball isn't what's called ''inside the cylinder'' - basically, an imaginary ring extending up from the surface of the rim.

But the clock was not running. This was not a live ball.

From the NBA case book, addressing such a situation: ''Goaltending or basket interference has not occurred. For either of these violations to occur, a ball which is alive must enter the cylinder area after having been legally touched on the playing court. All players must consider this type of play as an ordinary throw-in and anyone may attempt to gain possession of the ball without penalty.''

HAS THIS HAPPENED BEFORE?

Yes, and perhaps most notably, in Phoenix.

During a game on Dec. 26, 2017 between the Suns and Memphis Grizzlies - tied with 0.6 seconds remaining - then-Suns coach Jay Triano called for a play where Phoenix's Dragan Bender would throw an inbounds pass over the rim and set up Tyson Chandler for a dunk.

Triano had asked the NBA long beforehand if such a scenario would be legal. The NBA confirmed that it would be, and Triano kept the idea stashed in his mind for such a moment. Bender's pass was precise, Chandler got the dunk down and the Suns won 99-97.

''It's a rule a lot of people don't know,'' Triano said that night. ''You cannot goaltend a ball that isn't going to count.''

---

More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

They actually use the word ALIVE in their casebook? Not surprised at all!!
What a bunch of clowns. The word is LIVE… the ball never is and never will be ALIVE!
Old Thu Jun 24, 2021, 05:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is Your Refrigerator Running ???

Yes? Then you had better go catch it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillblind View Post
They actually use the word ALIVE in their casebook? The word is LIVE… the ball never is and never will be ALIVE!
I also find it odd that the NBA only considers the ball live when the clock is running. I guess that points scored from free throws are dead ball points?

Old Fri Jun 25, 2021, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is not new stuff here. Not sure why basketball officials struggle with the idea that the pros will be different or use different language? Yes, it is about entertainment, that is what pro sports is about. They want certain outcomes. It has nothing or little to do with what other levels do. I have to explain all the time what is different about the NFL when I work college and high school participants what they see on TV does not apply to them. Just a different rule and philosophy, get over it already.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 26, 2021, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yes? Then you had better go catch it!

I also find it odd that the NBA only considers the ball live when the clock is running. I guess that points scored from free throws are dead ball points?
Actually the NBA uses the terms live and alive. On a free throw, the ball is live when at the disposal of the FT shooter and it becomes alive when the FT is released.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2021, 08:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Frankenstein (1931) ...

Quote:
Such a play only works with the clock not running, or in NBA parlance, when the ball isn't ''live.'' ... But the clock was not running. This was not a live ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Actually the NBA uses the terms live and alive. On a free throw, the ball is live when at the disposal of the FT shooter and it becomes alive when the FT is released.
Makes it even more silly. Nevertheless, to paraphrase JRutledge, different level, different language.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 26, 2021 at 09:01am.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2021, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Makes it even more silly. Nevertheless, to paraphrase JRutledge, different level, different language.

I don't know why that makes it silly. I actually like the fact that they have a separate term for that difference in the ball's status.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jun 26, 2021, 09:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Change Of Status ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I actually like the fact that they have a separate term for that difference in the ball's status.
NFHS actually had something (not exactly) similar back in ancient times.

Change of status.

80% of a five second, or ten second count.

After four of a five second count (throwin, closely guarded), no timeout request is granted.

After eight of a ten second count (backcourt, free throw), no timeout request is granted.

I was pleased when the change of status rule was deleted.

Who wants to figure out mathematical percentages in the middle of a basketball game, especially since most officials don't carry a slide rule while officiating? Even back then, many officials didn't wear a belt to loop their slide rule leather (or leatherette) carrying case on.

Do I have that right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 27, 2021 at 10:31am.