Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With An Injury …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...PrhGw0Pg%3D%3D

Did the officials properly stop play for this injured player? Did official properly beckon coach to attend to the injured player? Was this player required by rule to be replaced? During the dead ball period, officials allowed substitutes for both teams to enter the game. Was that correct?

Two choices: The official properly beckoned the coach. The official did not properly beckon the coach.

My comment: The official did not properly beckon the coach. Play was properly stopped for the injured player. The lead official did not properly beckon the coach; however, the trail official may have properly beckoned the coach but can’t be observed in the video. Since a timeout was not requested, the injured player was required by rule to be replaced. All substitutions were correct.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Beckoning ...

Just a reminder about an unannounced, slight wording change in 2014-15 regarding beckoning that is probably only relevant on written exams, if that:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1029392

The "and/or" is still, six years later, in 3.3.6 Situation B.

Stupid NFHS.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 16, 2021 at 12:55pm.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not give a crap about the beckoning part. There could have been one of the officials off-camera having a conversation or allowing a coach to come onto the court. BUt if a coach comes out after we have stopped the game for an injury, then that is fine with me. They should be able to check on their player without such formality.

The issue I am more concerned with is when they stopped play. Now if you deem he is in some kind of danger, I am fine with it. But the reality is that he must come out the game if the coach or trainer came out to check on them. The player cannot just stay in the game. That is clear in 3-3-6. A coach can call a timeout and keep him in the game, but when he comes out there he is leaving the game if I am working, but that did not take place here.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Another thing, I am not standing over any player either during an injury. I am getting as far away from that situation as possible. For one if the player or coach thinks he was injured by an opponent, why would I want to have that conversation right next to the player. Even after the player got up he tried to claim he was hit in the head by the opponent. That is true, but looks like #12 was falling into his opponent and as he fell he got contacted inadvertently by the opponent. Those are the breaks in a contact sport. I saw nothing illegal that cause that injury. Yeah, he might be hurt, but it appears even somewhat of an act considering how he got up. But he is coming out of that game if I am working, even if I did not see the contact.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

He Was Beckoned ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not give a crap about the beckoning part ... But if a coach comes out after we have stopped the game for an injury, then that is fine with me. They should be able to check on their player without such formality.
Agree, and we've been told such (regarding an injury) by our local interpreters, and we've also been told that if asked, "He was beckoned".

Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Continuing Participation ...

Quote:
But he is coming out of that game if I am working, even if I did not see the contact.
Coach requesting a timeout will keep him in the game.

Possible concussion? Here in Connecticut a state law has been passed by the legislature, and signed by the governor, that requires coaches to have mandatory concussion training and puts all the responsibility on the coach regarding such a player continuing to participate in the game. Officials are not any part of the equation (officials here in Connecticut pay annual dues ($13.00) and belong to an officials arm of the our state interscholastic sports governing body, and that arm put in a tremendous effort and lobbied the state legislature (our dues at work) to keep officials out of the law, for example, no mandatory concussion training, and thus, no decision making, for officials). In fact, we're advised not to ever use the work "concussion" in discussing such an injury with a coach, we're limited to saying "Coach, you may want to check out number twelve".

However, as usual, when in Rome, check your local listings.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 16, 2021 at 01:36pm.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Out Of Dodge ...

Quote:
Another thing, I am not standing over any player either during an injury. I am getting as far away from that situation as possible.
Agree. Once an adult (coach, trainer, etc.) gets there, IAABO mechanics have one official secure the ball and stand at the throwin location and the other official stand at the division line on center circle closest to the table to deal with substitutions.

Can't speak to NFHS mechanics.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 16, 2021 at 01:21pm.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live And Learn ...

Quote:
I am not standing over any player either during an injury. I am getting as far away from that situation as possible. For one if the player or coach thinks he was injured by an opponent, why would I want to have that conversation right next to the player.
Good reason to "Get out of Dodge":

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post389571

Start with my post, but be sure to read the entire thread (try to avoid reading posts by Old School).

JugglingReferee: This sitch is a perfect example of why not to hang around, and in fact to get away from, the coach and injured player. I would have started walking away as soon as the (coach) came onto the court. No need for you to be there.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 16, 2021 at 01:16pm.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 01:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

-- Game properly stopped immediately, especially when there are 20 seconds left and the opponent is up by double figures.

-- Once a trainer runs on the court, the coach is beckoned as far as I'm concerned

-- Player properly directed to leave the game
Old Sat Jun 19, 2021, 08:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...PrhGw0Pg%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: The official properly beckoned the coach.

When an apparent injury occurs on the court, it is often difficult for officials to determine if/when play should be stopped. Officials need to quickly assess the severity of the injury and if the player's location puts them in danger of further injury if play continues.

If an injured player does not appear to require immediate attention and a scoring attempt is imminent, officials should allow play to continue until the scoring attempt no longer exists and then stop play to address the injury situation. (Manual p. 25-26, 133-134)

In this play, the officials appear to make a good decision to stop the game, as after the opposing team secures the ball, they are not advancing the ball into the frontcourt or actively pursuing a chance to score. Therefore, this was a good opportunity to stop the game and attend to the injured player.

We only see one official in this clip, and he does not appear to beckon bench personnel onto the court to attend to the injured player. This beckoning is important, as, by rule, bench personnel may not enter the court unless permitted by the officials. (10-5-2) Officials should not be quick to beckon bench personnel if they think the player would have a chance to continue to participate. This is especially true when the injured player is entitled to free throws. If the official is in the player's proximity to ask if he/she is ok, officials may find the player can continue.

A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and comes onto the court must be directed to leave the game unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out. (3-3-6) The official in this play does a good job communicating to the head coach that a substitute was needed for the injured player. Once that substitute was completed, play was properly resumed.

If and when play is stopped and bench personnel enters the court, officials should quickly move to injury time-out positions. One official shall secure the ball and move to the designated throw-in spot, using proper ball placement mechanics. Partner(s) shall take positions in front of the center circle facing the scorer’s table to assist table personnel, coaches, and game management in addressing injury and related issues. (IAABO Manual p. 47, 157)

Officials should seek to master the rules and procedures that apply to injury situations. All officials should understand how to deal with blood issues and potential concussion situations. All of these situations should be discussed before every game as a part of an effective pregame conference.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: The official did not properly beckon the coach 77% (including me). The official properly beckoned the coach 23%.

Old Sat Jun 19, 2021, 08:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Providing The Collar And Cuffs Match (James Bond, Diamonds Are Forever, 1971) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: The official properly beckoned the coach ... We only see one official in this clip, and he does not appear to beckon bench personnel onto the court to attend to the injured player. This beckoning is important ...