The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 11:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would appreciate it if someone could post these NCAA interpretations because by the definition of ball location, the spot of the violation would be from where the try was released.
There are several references to a shot clock violation and the throw-in taking place at the nearest spot of the violation. So if the shot is outside the 3 point line, I would assume as long as the violation took place when the ball is in the air, I would assume it would go on the sideline in most of those cases (it could go on the endline if ball shot in the corner). But it does not seem to specifically reference where. I think for a long time people assumed that was always on the endline if the shot missed the rim from outside somewhere. Then there has been some discussion about putting it where the shot took place. I have even wondered if the shot misses the ring, but hits the floor under the basket, is that spot the endline too?

Peace
Old Wed Apr 07, 2021, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are failing to grasp that the location of the ball in the air, which fails to contact the ring or backboard, and has also not contacted the floor prior to the horn sounding is by definition at the spot from where the player released the try.
I totally understand where you are getting at in relation to the ball being in the air on a FG try.
Ask yourself this.

If the shot is released before horn sounds and the ball is in flight when the horn does sound, do you blow your whistle at that point to call the violation? No.

You wait to see if the ball hits the rim or not. That is when you determine if that shot clock violation occurred; it does not occur in mid-flight. The spot of the violation is when the ball failed to hit the rim. That is why a violation is still called if the defensive team catches an airball.

There is no team control on a shot. If the violation occurred during a pass between teammates, then you would inbound it closest to the designated spot from where the pass came from.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2021, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

This is from an "ask Jon" (Levinson, secretary-rules editor):
DATE:

1/13/2020

RULE:

9-11 also A.R. 260 (2)

QUESTION:

Play one - A1 is dribbling the ball at the top of the key with 3 seconds left on the shot clock. A1 does not recognize that they are close to a shot clock violation and continues to dribble until the shot clock hit 0. So we have a shot clock violation by A1 and the ball will be placed to the spot nearest the violation. So it will be place on the side line nearest the violation.

Play two - A1 is dribbling the ball at the top of the key with 3 seconds left on the shot clock. A1 recognizes that they are about to commit a shot clock violation. A1 shots the ball, while the ball is in the air the shot clock hits 0. The ball does not hit the rim and lands on the floor. Where do we in-bound the ball?

We had several different thoughts and never came up with the exact answer. So where is the violation, at the point of the shot or at the spot of where the ball hit the floor after not hitting the rim. Can you please help to clarify this for me? I am struggling finding the correct ruling.

ANSWER:

In play 1, because a player is in control of the ball, the out-of-bounds spot is the spot nearest to there the ball was located (player in control of the ball) (Rule 9-11 Penalty) The rule is the same for Play 2; that is, the out of bounds spot is nearest to where the ball is located when the violation occurs. In this play, the violation does not occur until the try fails to strike the ring or flange (Rule 9-11.4). It does not occur when the try is in flight (the shot-clock horn sounds) because the try was released before the expiration of the shot-clock period and the try does not end until it is successful or not. If the try falls just short of, and not striking, the ring, the throw-in spot for the violation is the end line.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2021, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
ANSWER:

The rule is the same for Play 2; that is, the out of bounds spot is nearest to where the ball is located when the violation occurs. In this play, the violation does not occur until the try fails to strike the ring or flange (Rule 9-11.4). It does not occur when the try is in flight (the shot-clock horn sounds) because the try was released before the expiration of the shot-clock period and the try does not end until it is successful or not. If the try falls just short of, and not striking, the ring, the throw-in spot for the violation is the end line.
Thank you.