The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Shot clock violation

Say it's the dying seconds of a game and a player shoots and air balls and there is a shot clock violation. Does the game clock stop as soon as the shot clock goes to 0? Or do the refs have to wait to blow their whistle until it is determined the shot does not hit the rim, even if that occurs a second or so after the shot clock hits 0? I imagine if a player threw up the shot with 0.3 on the shot clock, there would more than 0.3 seconds pass before you can determine shot was missed so wondering when the game clock would stop.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1967 View Post
Say it's the dying seconds of a game and a player shoots and air balls and there is a shot clock violation. Does the game clock stop as soon as the shot clock goes to 0? Or do the refs have to wait to blow their whistle until it is determined the shot does not hit the rim, even if that occurs a second or so after the shot clock hits 0? I imagine if a player threw up the shot with 0.3 on the shot clock, there would more than 0.3 seconds pass before you can determine shot was missed so wondering when the game clock would stop.
The game clock doesn't stop until it's a violation. It's not a violation until the ball does not hit the rim.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 01:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

In the NBA/WNBA/D-League, the game clock will be reset to the time when the shot clock hit all zeros.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the NBA/WNBA/D-League, the game clock will be reset to the time when the shot clock hit all zeros.
Hmm yes I do recall them sometimes having to reset the game clock once the violation takes place, although this seems to contradict what Bob was saying, unless Bob wasn't referring to NBA?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Hmm yes I do recall them sometimes having to reset the game clock once the violation takes place, although this seems to contradict what Bob was saying, unless Bob wasn't referring to NBA?
We're always referring to HS and/or college. Those speaking about the NBA will so note when posting. I do not believe we have any active NBA/WNBA/D-League officials in the forum at the moment.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wasn't. Your question didn't specify (and I failed to recognize that you have posted several NBA-specific questions recently). Most of what we discuss is NCAA and FED (which doesn't have a shot-clock on the national level; some states have adopted one); so I defaulted to NCAA
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually, when I read the NBA rules, I seem to get a different conclusion. See here: http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf

It says if a field goal attempt is in flight, the ball becomes dead when the goal is made, missed or touched by an offensive player. Later it says whenever shot clock reads 0 and ball becomes dead, there is a 24 second violation. This makes me think the game clock would get reset only to the time when the ball became dead (ie: when the field goal was determined to be missed). Am I missing something?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2016, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, when I read the NBA rules, I seem to get a different conclusion. See here: http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf

It says if a field goal attempt is in flight, the ball becomes dead when the goal is made, missed or touched by an offensive player. Later it says whenever shot clock reads 0 and ball becomes dead, there is a 24 second violation. This makes me think the game clock would get reset only to the time when the ball became dead (ie: when the field goal was determined to be missed). Am I missing something?
NBA rules are such that they do not allow a team to waste more than 24 seconds if they are guilty of shot clock violation. For example: Team A inbounds the ball with 24.7 left in the game. A1 releases the ball with 1 second left on the shot clock. The game clock goes off while the ball is in the air. The ball does not contact the basket ring. The ruling would be that officials will indicate a shot clock violation and reset the game clock to .7 seconds and award a throw in for B on the sideline.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.