The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAM shot clock violation rule request

Could someone please post the shot clock violation rule and penalty for NCAAM?

Relevant for the final ten seconds of the first half in the Gonzaga/Baylor championship game.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Relevant for the final ten seconds of the first half in the Gonzaga/Baylor championship game.
Do you mean where they put the ball?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

What portion of the rule?

In regards to the game clock, it's set to 30 seconds from the beginning of the possession if officials have that knowledge. I make a point to know that information.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

In the women’s final, Stanford started a possession with 36.6 left in the game. They never got off a shot before the shot clock elapsed. The clock showed 5.5 left. I’m thinking they’re going to put 6.6 seconds on the clock. Instead they go to the monitor and put 6.1. I work FIBA so I do not claim to know NCAA rules, but this doesn’t seem right.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
In the women’s final, Stanford started a possession with 36.6 left in the game. They never got off a shot before the shot clock elapsed. The clock showed 5.5 left. I’m thinking they’re going to put 6.6 seconds on the clock. Instead they go to the monitor and put 6.1. I work FIBA so I do not claim to know NCAA rules, but this doesn’t seem right.
If your facts (starting possession at 36.6) are correct, then your conclusion is correct.

I tuned in during the last possession, and based on the clocks on the screen, I agree that the clock was set to low -- but I also recognize that the clocks on the screen might not be correct.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I had a question about the shot clock on the F1. It occured very close to mid court.

Free throws and the ball. Does the shot clock reset to 20 or 30 or is it dependant on if the ball is being taken out of bounds in the front court or back court?
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From what I understand, the rules for the ending the 1st half are different from the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half. In this case, the crew erred and should have left the game clock at 7.8 seconds as the shot was released on time but failed to hit the rim; adding the extra time was incorrect.

If this had occurred in the 2nd half, the crew may have used instant replay to put time back on the game clock from when the shot-clock violation occurred. See AR 308.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
I had a question about the shot clock on the F1. It occured very close to mid court.

Free throws and the ball. Does the shot clock reset to 20 or 30 or is it dependant on if the ball is being taken out of bounds in the front court or back court?
I didn't see the game, but this c-n-p from the rules book might help:

b. Reset to 30 seconds when the following occurs:
1. There is a change in team control and the ball remains live or after a
score by the opponent;
2. Team control is re-established in the backcourt after the team loses
control of the ball;
Note: The mere touching of the ball does not start a new shot-clock period
when the same team remains in control of the ball as in loose ball situations.
3. A held ball occurs or any other situation occurs where the alternatingpossession
arrow must be used to determine team possession and the
alternating possession arrow favors the defense for a throw-in in the
backcourt;
4. A try for goal strikes the ring or flange and control is gained by the nonshooting
team;
5. A single personal or technical foul is assessed to the defensive team while
the ball is in control of the offensive team in the backcourt;

6. A double personal foul when only one of the fouls is flagrant and it
is assessed against the offense in their front court and the defense is
awarded the ball for a throw-in in their backcourt. If the flagrant foul
is assessed against the defense, the shot clock should be reset per Rule
2-11.6.c.1;
7. A violation occurs, except as in Rules 2-11.6.a.1 and .2 and the defense
is awarded the ball for a throw-in in the backcourt. If the throw-in is in
the front court, the shot clock shall be reset per Rule 2-11.6.d.6; or
8. An inadvertent whistle occurs when there was no player or team control
at the time of the whistle and the alternating-possession arrow favors
either team for a throw-in in the backcourt.
c. Reset to 20 seconds or the time remaining (whichever is greater) when the
following occurs:
1. A personal or technical foul is assessed to the defensive team and the ball
is to be inbounded in the front court;

2. When a kicking the ball/fisting violation is committed by the defense
and the ball is to be inbounded in the front court or backcourt;
Note: This rule applies only when the foul or violation in 1 or 2 above
occurs prior to a try for goal which hits the ring or flange.
3. An inadvertent whistle occurs when there was no player or team control
at the time of the whistle and the alternating-possession arrow favors
either team for a throw-in in the front court.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 12:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
From what I understand, the rules for the ending the 1st half are different from the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half. In this case, the crew erred and should have left the game clock at 7.8 seconds as the shot was released on time but failed to hit the rim; adding the extra time was incorrect.

If this had occurred in the 2nd half, the crew may have used instant replay to put time back on the game clock from when the shot-clock violation occurred. See AR 308.
AR 308 is in reference to rule 11 and the voluntary use of instant replay to ascertain the correct time. I don't necessarily know that forbids the use of definite knowledge by an official to set the game clock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Do you mean where they put the ball?
This was my main concern. The adding of time to the game clock is a secondary concern.
On an airball from the top of the key (outside the 3pt arc) is the location of the ball and hence the spot of the violation the release point by the shooter if the horn sounds while the ball is in flight? If so, a sideline throw-in seems correct as opposed to a spot on the endline.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was my main concern. The adding of time to the game clock is a secondary concern.
On an airball from the top of the key (outside the 3pt arc) is the location of the ball and hence the spot of the violation the release point by the shooter if the horn sounds while the ball is in flight? If so, a sideline throw-in seems correct as opposed to a spot on the endline.
I see where you're getting at Nevada and had this discussion during my pre-games. It was explained to me like this (and it makes sense): there is NO team control on an attempted FG try. The violation occurs when the ball does NOT hit the rim. The ball is to be inbounded at the designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred; which would be the endline.

This is different from a 10-second backcourt violation if the ball that was still in the air was passed from the BC to the FC. There is still team control on a pass; thus the ball would be inbounded by the new offense at the nearest designated spot in the new FC from where the pass originated.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's a specific NCAAW interp that the violation is on the endline. I assume NCAAM is the same. And, the time is the time when the ball passes below the rim (that might not be the exact wording, but it's the practical effect).
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's a specific NCAAW interp that the violation is on the endline. I assume NCAAM is the same. And, the time is the time when the ball passes below the rim (that might not be the exact wording, but it's the practical effect).
I would appreciate it if someone could post these NCAA interpretations because by the definition of ball location, the spot of the violation would be from where the try was released.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would appreciate it if someone could post these NCAA interpretations because by the definition of ball location, the spot of the violation would be from where the try was released.
The spot of the throw-in would be at the endline as the violation occurred when the ball did not hit the rim. If horn sounded when the ball was still in his hands at the top of the key, that is where the violation would have occurred.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
The spot of the throw-in would be at the endline as the violation occurred when the ball did not hit the rim. If horn sounded when the ball was still in his hands at the top of the key, that is where the violation would have occurred.
You are failing to grasp that the location of the ball in the air, which fails to contact the ring or backboard, and has also not contacted the floor prior to the horn sounding is by definition at the spot from where the player released the try.