The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2021, 04:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Packing Bags …

Should this be ruled a traveling violation? Observe the play and make a decision as to whether or not the player committed a traveling violation. When does the dribble end? Is the left foot or the right foot the pivot foot? Is the movement after establishing the pivot foot legal?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...eFDL7McByu.mp4

IAABO gives two choices: This is a traveling violation. This is not a traveling violation.

My comment: This is a traveling violation. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot. He lifted that pivot foot without passing or shooting.

In really struggled with this play. Early returns by IAABO members who viewed the video and commented are leaning, by a wide margin, toward it not being a traveling violation, so I'm probably wrong, but I'm willing to learn how to adjudicate this play better.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 12, 2021 at 05:29pm.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2021, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Player gathers with LF on the ground (just outside the red line on the court), then steps with the RF, then the LF (now in the middle of the lane) . (And, maybe with the RF again, but it's hard to tell.

But if viewed from the other side, I might have a different opinion

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Feb 12, 2021 at 04:22pm.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2021, 06:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

I can't tell from this view exactly when the dribble ends. It may have been after he already lifted his left foot.

Had a D3 game once where I called a travel on a play where my view was blocked as the dribble was ending. On video, I saw that either the player had bobbled it or a defender had dislodged the ball (forget which) and it was an incorrect call.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO International Play Commentary ...

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...eFDL7McByu.mp4

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is not a traveling violation.

This move is commonly referred to as a “Euro Step.” We are often asked, is a “Euro Step” is legal? The answer to this question comes down to where the pivot foot is located when the dribble ends.

If the dribble ends with a foot in contact with the floor, it becomes the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step. (4-44-2b1) Oftentimes, when players attempt this move, they lift the pivot foot and place it back to the floor before releasing the ball on a try. This would be a traveling violation.

When putting this clip in slow motion and going frame by frame, we see the dribbler has both feet slightly off the floor when the dribble ends. He then lands on his right foot and then steps with his left foot before attempting the try.

Since the player was airborne when the dribble ended, the first foot to touch becomes the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step. (4-44-2a2) Since the ball handler jumps and releases the ball on a try before returning the pivot foot to the floor, this is a legal play.

So the legality of the “Euro Step” comes down where the pivot is located when the dribble ends before executing the two steps needed to make the move. It can be a challenging play for officials. Be quick to identify the pivot foot and observe if the pivot is lifted and placed back to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try. This will determine if the play is legal or illegal.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a traveling violation 55%; This is a traveling violation 45% (including me).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 07:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Many Knowledgeable Officials On This Forum ...

Note: I was wrong, calling it a travel violation.

114 views and only bob jenkins and Raymond were confident enough to offer knowledgeable opinions? I realize that this was a tough play of adjudicate, but there are a lot of knowledgeable officials on this Forum, certainly more than two. Basketball officials shouldn't fear being ridiculed by others, it happens every single night in gyms all over the country, mostly by fans in the cheap seats, but only happens rarely here on the Forum. Basketball officials have to have thick skin, or one will soon be eaten alive and spit out. I view the Forum as, mostly, an educational tool, where we learn by discussing plays, and especially by discussing and correcting our mistakes.

Yeah. I know. Sorry. I realize that not everybody is retired and in a COVID lockdown like me, who can sit in front of his computer screen all day discussing basketball plays. Almost all you have to go to day jobs to pay your bills. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

Plus most of you don't care a hill of beans about what IAABO pontificates.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 16, 2021 at 02:25pm.