Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Music Blaring Throughout The Gym ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"Son, that's a T. Listen up, everybody, don't dunk!".
Quote:
... in a conversational tone.
Are the players down the other end of the court going to be warned with this statement in a conversational tone over the music blaring throughout the gym?

Again, I'm not a big fan of the pregame dunking whistle, nor am I to willing to ignore 10.5.1 SITUATION E and be the first one on my block to do it, but, like Altor, I see some value in it, and I wouldn't take my whistle and go home if the interpretation was changed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 01:50pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

What the hell are you talking about?

Jeez, I should have known better than to interject into one of your conversations with yourself. Either you have no common sense, you enjoy splitting hairs, or you are a troll. When you wondered why traffic here seems to have tapered off, look in the mirror.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 02:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Dunking Whistle ...

Quote:
I should have known better than to interject into one of your conversations with yourself.
While I have been known to reply to my own posts after further reflection, this is not the case here. All of my posts in this thread, even a single back-to-back, have been replies to other members posts.

Bottom line. I'm not a big fan of the pregame dunking whistle, nor is the NFHS, but I see some value (as does Altor) in it because it may prevent a subsequent "violation". While I agree with LRZ that warning (before or after charging a technical foul) players in a layup line in a conversational tone is a good preventative measure (for many issues, not just pregame dunking), it only works for those within earshot (in a gym with blasting music). A whistle (again, I'm not a fan) sounded will be a preventative measure for everybody in the gym, not only those that are within conversational tone earshot ("Hey. Look down there. He got T-ed up for dunking. We should be more careful".)

I'm not looking to T-up players for pregame dunking, I will try to prevent pregame dunking from happening, but if I have to T-up players, I will.

Maybe Texans have the right idea?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 03:28pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's my fault. This is one of those times where I simply disagree with a rule or case (or in this case, a single sentence fragment within a case). I pointed out my disagreement.

Do what you need to do and what you feel is best after reading the appropriate materials from the NFHS and your assignors.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 03:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gospel Truth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
It's my fault.
No need to fall on your sword. It was a good point that had some value regarding preventative officiating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Do what you need to do and what you feel is best after reading the appropriate materials from the NFHS and your assignors.
Ain't that the gospel truth.

Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 04:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While I have been known to reply to my own posts after further reflection, this is not the case here. All of my posts in this thread, even a single back-to-back, have been replies to other members posts.

Bottom line. I'm not a big fan of the pregame dunking whistle, nor is the NFHS, but I see some value (as does Altor) in it because it may prevent a subsequent "violation". While I agree with LRZ that warning (before or after charging a technical foul) players in a layup line in a conversational tone is a good preventative measure (for many issues, not just pregame dunking), it only works for those within earshot (in a gym with blasting music). A whistle (again, I'm not a fan) sounded will be a preventative measure for everybody in the gym, not only those that are within conversational tone earshot ("Hey. Look down there. He got T-ed up for dunking. We should be more careful".)

I'm not looking to T-up players for pregame dunking, I will try to prevent pregame dunking from happening, but if I have to T-up players, I will.

Maybe Texans have the right idea?
I've gone almost 20 years without sounding my whistle nor seeing anyone else sound their whistle. The 3-4 times I've been involved in games where players were T'd for dunking (including one D1 game before the rule change), the players were well aware officials were standing right there on the sidelines.

Now we need to announce ourselves with whistles all of a sudden?
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 04:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double The Fun ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I've gone almost 20 years without sounding my whistle nor seeing anyone else sound their whistle. The 3-4 times I've been involved in games where players were T'd for dunking, the players were well aware officials were standing right there on the sidelines.
Forty years for me. Exactly the same thing.

Quote:
Altor's casebook interpretation comment wasn't about "announce(ing) ourselves", rather it was about announcing (by whistle) the actual technical foul. Texas is the only place I know of that announces themselves with a pregame "entering the court" whistle.

I'll just continue follow 10.5.1 SITUATION E, as I've been doing, and as my local colleagues have been doing, for forty years.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 04:38pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I've gone almost 20 years without sounding my whistle nor seeing anyone else sound their whistle. The 3-4 times I've been involved in games where players were T'd for dunking (including one D1 game before the rule change), the players were well aware officials were standing right there on the sidelines.

Well, the ultimate problem is that there is a rule that is clear and the coaches for some dumb reason never address it. So you see officials do all kinds of things to not have to call a T anyway they can. I am in support of all of it personally if it gets you over. Part of it too is that even when you see it, we have to argue about it with someone. Either the coach that saw it on the other team or the coach of the team that did it.

I had to call it at the beginning of the season last year. I did not personally see it, but I heard it for sure. And it took the next 5 minutes to tell the coach he had to sit down and he wanted me to "give him a break."

I am good with whatever people want to do here and I have done both. In some situations, if I do not do it that way we will have multiple Ts because silly coaches never address this with their teams.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 05:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Already Know, Old Joke, But A Goodie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... he wanted me to "give him a break."
Arm, leg, or neck?

Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Working with a guy the other day that reported a story to me about a crew that Td up a kid for pregame dunking. Problem was they were in the locker room and someone part of either the coaching or game admin staff came in with video of said dunking. They went out and issued the T based on the video.

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 08:44pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 08:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ouch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Working with a guy the other day that reported a story to me about a crew that Td up a kid for pregame dunking. Problem wax they were in the locker room and someone part of either the coaching or game admin staff came in with video of said dunking. They went out and issued the T based on the video.
I've got an opposite story about a crew that exited to the locker room after a game, well outside the visual confines of the court, and were convinced by a coach and athletic director to come back out to the the gym to fix a scoring error that, in the end, overturned the result of the game. One of the officials was a guy that I often worked with and I considered him to be a very good official, who's day job was that of a highly respected attorney, so he was not a stupid person. I felt bad for him, the newspaper story named him and the story made all the large statewide newspapers, not just the local newspaper.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 08:13pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

That's why it's good practice in the final minute of a close game during timeouts to go over and try to head off a potential issue. Especially if you've had some odd sequences that could of led to scoring confusion.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wish you'd stop channeling Mark Padgett; it's rarely amusing.
Actually I get a chuckle out of the nostalgia of hot mom jokes from time to time.

Quote:

Jeez, I should have known better than to interject into one of your conversations with yourself. Either you have no common sense, you enjoy splitting hairs, or you are a troll. When you wondered why traffic here seems to have tapered off, look in the mirror.

Bully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 26, 2021, 10:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Any Problems With The Books Guys ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
That's why it's good practice in the final minute of a close game during timeouts to go over and try to head off a potential issue.
Unless it's forty-point blowout, great advice.

Old Tue Jan 26, 2021, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Unless it's forty-point blowout, great advice.
That's why he said "close game" in his post. It's something I've been doing for years, even when I'm not the 'R'.