The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

pregame dunk

During pregame warmups, a player attempts to dunk a layup, but the dunk does not go in. Is this still cause for 't'?
Thanks in advance
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
During pregame warmups, a player attempts to dunk a layup, but the dunk does not go in. Is this still cause for 't'?
Thanks in advance
By rule it is. The rule states "A player shall not dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball."

Last edited by ilyazhito; Sat Jan 23, 2021 at 06:39pm.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
By rule it is. The rule states "A player shall not dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.
*Good point ilyaz; however, it takes temerity to make that type of call. I was on a crew this season when that happened and we were all at mid court pregame, and I looked at the R to take leadership and make the call, but she did nothing but shrug.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And The Coach Sits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I was on a crew this season when that happened and we were all at mid court pregame, and I looked at the R to take leadership and make the call, but she did nothing but shrug.
If it's close (questionable drop in, or dunk) I may warn, but if it's unequivocally positively 100% a dunk, or dunk attempt, I will charge the technical foul, and I'm not waiting to get permission from the referee.

Question: Whistle, or no whistle?

I say no whistle, just a walk over and have a chat with the offending player, then walk over and chat with the offending head coach (letting him know that he has to find a comfortable chair), stop by the table for a chat, then chat with the opposing head coach.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 23, 2021 at 02:05pm.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If it's close (questionable drop in, or dunk) I may warn, but if it's unequivocally positively 100% a dunk, or dunk attempt, I will charge the technical foul, and I'm not waiting to get permission from the referee.

Question: Whistle, or no whistle?

I say no whistle, just a walk over and have a chat with the offending player, then walk over and chat with the offending head coach (letting him know that he has to find a comfortable chair), stop by the table for a chat, then chat with the opposing head coach.
There is a case play which gives the proper procedure for this. It states not to sound the whistle.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always The King Of Interpretations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There is a case play which gives the proper procedure for this. It states not to sound the whistle.
10.5.1 SITUATION E: Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks. RULING: A1 and A2 are both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box, the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the coaching box for the entire game. (10-4-1i)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Just happened to me this afternoon. Short athletic kid attempts to dunk, gets above the rim, makes a fool of hi....I mean, misses.

The crew was late coming out due to COVID timelines that shorten our pregame floor time. So I cut some slack because our jurisdiction may not have been fully observed yet. But mostly because I just 100% knew that the grizzled veteran R on our crew was not interested in the specter of assessing a pre-game dunking T.

I did go talk to the player, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 24, 2021, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Just happened to me this afternoon. Short athletic kid attempts to dunk, gets above the rim, makes a fool of hi....I mean, misses.

The crew was late coming out due to COVID timelines that shorten our pregame floor time. So I cut some slack because our jurisdiction may not have been fully observed yet. But mostly because I just 100% knew that the grizzled veteran R on our crew was not interested in the specter of assessing a pre-game dunking T.

I did go talk to the player, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*As I had observed before,Mr. CC55, it takes temerity to make that kind of call.
Lol @ "spectre of a pregame tech.."
Old Sun Jan 24, 2021, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do They Still Sound Pregame Whistles In Texas ???

Quote:
... our jurisdiction may not have been fully observed yet.
If you're not 100% sure it's a dunk, or a dunk attempt, and if you're not 100% sure that it was under your jurisdiction, then it's probably not T-worthy.

When in Rome ...

Quote:
I did go talk to the player ...
Good. Better than ...

(Young'uns can check out Sergeant Schultz/Hogan's Heroes on the Google.)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 24, 2021 at 07:43pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10.5.1 SITUATION E: Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks. RULING: A1 and A2 are both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box, the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the coaching box for the entire game. (10-4-1i)
This is a bad part of a case play. If the official had sounded his whistle after the first one, A2 likely doesn't attempt a second.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Whistle While You Work ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This is a bad part of a case play. If the official had sounded his whistle after the first one, A2 likely doesn't attempt a second.
Interesting point. I always thought that "but does not sound the whistle" was more of a mechanics situation rather than a rules situation and often wondered about its purpose in the casebook.

Do they still sound pregame, "Warning. We're here. Stop dunking", whistles in Texas?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 11:45am.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

"This is a bad part of a case play."

The case plays says to tell the offender and the head coach, but it doesn't prevent the official from also telling the other players not to dunk: "Son, that's a T. Listen up, everybody, don't dunk!"

Preventive officiating (from that point on), problem solved.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Only Have Eyes For You (The Flamingos, 1959) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
The case plays says to tell the offender and the head coach, but it doesn't prevent the official from also telling the other players not to dunk: "Son, that's a T. Listen up, everybody, don't dunk!" Preventive officiating (from that point on), problem solved.
I'm not a big fan of a "Hey everybody. Look at me." pregame whistle, but it would definitely let everybody in the gym, players on both teams, coaches, fans, police officer in the corner, priest on the bench, hot single Mom selling hot dogs in the concession stand, know that there will be no ignoring of pregame dunking that night.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 12:27pm.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Stop it, BillyMac. You can accomplish this without becoming the center of attention. You've never stepped towards players on the layup line and said to them all, "tuck your shirts in" or something like that? And it need not be shouted, it can be done in a conversational tone.

I wish you'd stop channeling Mark Padgett; it's rarely amusing.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Whistle ...

Quote:
You can accomplish this without becoming the center of attention.
I was referring to sounding a whistle. A whistle seven minutes before the game begins would most certainly elicit attention.

Quote:
You've never stepped towards players on the layup line and said to them all, "tuck your shirts in" or something like that?
"Tuck your shirts in"? Layup line? Never. I've got bigger fish to fry.

Earrings, undershirts, headbands, wrist bands, sleeves, earphones, long fingernails, making me decide if it's a dunk or not? Yes. Absolutely.

Quote:
And it need not be shouted, it can be done in a conversational tone.
It certainly can, and I do it (see above), but a whistle would let everybody on both teams know that there will be no ignoring of pregame dunking that night, maybe preventing a second illegal pregame dunk down the other end of the court (extrapolating Altor's post).

However, I'll just continue follow 10.5.1 SITUATION E.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 03:13pm.