The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 08:20pm
C'mon man!!

HS uniform

SECTION 4 UNIFORMS ART. 1 . . . Team jersey color and design shall adhere to the following: a. The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members.

I have recently come into disagreement with some officials that if the uniform isn't exactly the same color, the player can't play. For example a sophomore has the old blue uniform and the varsity has the new blue model and the shades are slightly different.
Some officials say they can't play because they aren't the "same" color.
Any thoughts on how to argue that the player should be able to play by rule?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Three responses:
(1) Who is the R?
(2) "I'm colorblind, looks good to me."
(3) Case Play 3.4.1 SITUATION B is analogous: Team A has white home jerseys with black and red trim around the neckline and armholes and a black and red-patterned design in the side panel. Team member A15 is from the Junior Varsity team and will participate in the Varsity game. A15’s jersey is white, but has (a) no trim around the neckline and armholes; (b) only red trim in the side panel; (c) no trim whatsoever. RULING: Legal jersey in (a), (b) and (c); A15’s jersey has not violated the uniform rules.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Don’t trouble trouble.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

To start with, the penalty for illegal uniforms of players who participate is a direct T to the coach. Coach can keep them on the bench to save a T. Only illegal equipment and apparel prohibits players from playing.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
To start with, the penalty for illegal uniforms of players who participate is a direct T to the coach. Coach can keep them on the bench to save a T. Only illegal equipment and apparel prohibits players from playing.
This is the correct response by rule. If the torso of a player's jersey is not the "same single solid color" as those of the other teammates, then the rule has been infringed and the proper penalty is to be assessed. As noted above, that is simply a direct technical foul to the head coach of the team. The penalty does not prevent the individual from participating in the contest.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I suggest that a "slightly different" shade of blue is not illegal under 3-4-1 and that, consistent with the intent and purpose of the rules, the caseplay modifies the "illegal uniform" idea. Is "slightly different blue" the equivalent of "trim"? If not, then the JV jersey in the case play is illegal and has violated the rules. But the case play says the jersey is legal.

Examples of illegal uniforms--generally applicable to all team members--in the case book are very different than a slight difference in hue.

Suppose a player forgot his blue jersey but had a green one. Are you going to let him play at the cost of a T, because it's an "illegal uniform" and not "illegal equipment"?

Unless there is an old case play, no longer in the book, to the contrary, this is how I would argue to the "can't play" officials.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Jan 21, 2021 at 10:17am.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=LRZ;1041052]I suggest that a "slightly different" shade of blue is not illegal under 3-4-1 and that, consistent with the intent and purpose of the rules, the caseplay modifies the "illegal uniform" idea./QUOTE]

Similar to the "undershirt much match the jersey" rule -- how exact do we want to be.

I often say that when I was in kindergarten, I only had the box of 8 crayola crayons, not the box of 64 with the sharpener on the side. So, I only know blue, black, green red, yellow, orange, brown, white and not sky blue, baby blue, light blue, carolina blue, honolulu blue.... So, that's the (general) criteria I use.

And, in the OP -- it might also depend on how much the Soph plays in the V game -- if it's in a mop-up role at the end of the game I'm likely to be more forgiving than if he's the first sub off the bench.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 10:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I suggest that a "slightly different" shade of blue is not illegal under 3-4-1 and that, consistent with the intent and purpose of the rules, the caseplay modifies the "illegal uniform" idea. Is "slightly different blue" the equivalent of "trim"? If not, then the JV jersey in the case play is illegal and has violated the rules. But the case play says the jersey is legal.

Examples of illegal uniforms--generally applicable to all team members--in the case book are very different than a slight difference in hue.

Suppose a player forgot his blue jersey but had a green one. Are you going to let him play at the cost of a T, because it's an "illegal uniform" and not "illegal equipment"?

Unless there is an old case play, no longer in the book, to the contrary, this is how I would argue to the "can't play" officials.
I'm looking for reasons to let the player play, not trying to find reasons to keep him from playing.

I'm going to tell my partners (and the opposing coach, assuming he even has a problem with it), that I'm making the decision to let the player play and feel free to contact our supervisor, as will I.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Any R who would assess a direct T on a high school coach for one of the player's jerseys being a slightly different shade of blue is an overly officious official with whom I have no desire to work.

If there's no confusion on the part of the opposing team - we're playing ball in games where I'm the R. And I dare the opposing coach to call the assigner (no coach I work for would).
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

White Is The New Black ...

Quote:
Suppose a player forgot his blue jersey but had a white one. Are you going to let him play at the cost of a T, because it's an "illegal uniform" and not "illegal equipment"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 21, 2021 at 12:11pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 11:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Yellow Or Orange In High School Basketball ...

And no crying in baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... I only know blue, black, green, red, yellow, orange, brown, white ...
Real colors are only one syllable.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 21, 2021 at 06:58pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;1041053]
Quote:
I suggest that a "slightly different" shade of blue is not illegal under 3-4-1 and that, consistent with the intent and purpose of the rules, the caseplay modifies the "illegal uniform" idea./QUOTE]

Similar to the "undershirt much match the jersey" rule -- how exact do we want to be.

I often say that when I was in kindergarten, I only had the box of 8 crayola crayons, not the box of 64 with the sharpener on the side. So, I only know blue, black, green red, yellow, orange, brown, white and not sky blue, baby blue, light blue, carolina blue, honolulu blue.... So, that's the (general) criteria I use.

And, in the OP -- it might also depend on how much the Soph plays in the V game -- if it's in a mop-up role at the end of the game I'm likely to be more forgiving than if he's the first sub off the bench.
You'd think that a second team player on the V team would be given the proper uniform. That's the common practice around here. Rarely see a JV uniform with the V team but the opposite is common.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 11:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Give An Inch, Take A Mile ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Several years ago, during player introductions, my partner and I noted that a visiting starting player wearing a very dark purple road jersey (that we called one syllable “Black”) was wearing a black undershirt, with extremely short sleeves. We both decided to let it go but to mention to the player and coach that said player should get a purple undershirt.

In the second period a visiting substitute takes off his warmup jacket and heads to the table to enter the game. He's wearing a long sleeve black undershirt under his dark purple jersey, the long sleeve black undershirt being much more noticeable (and illegal) than the starter wearing an extremely short sleeve black undershirt.

This quote immediately came to mind:"No good deed goes unpunished." (Oscar Wilde, Irish playwright, poet, and author)

Dark Purple, Black; Potato, Potahto; Tomato, Tomahto.

We let him enter.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 21, 2021 at 12:12pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

So we are going to penalize the school because a jersey of the exact same color does not fit, might have been damaged, or they could not afford extra jerseys to hand out to all their kids? Nope. Let them play and move on.

Same with the undershirt, if the jersey is black, I am not going to expect everything to match exactly to that black of the jersey. Hell they can wash something and it will fade. It is not that serious people. What is the spirit of the rule?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Don't think anyone is saying to charge a T here. The OP was asking whether the players could play at all.