The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Uniform

I officiated Volleyball years ago in North Carolina. Unfortunately, my job took me away from God's country where I intend to get back to some day, so now I decided to get back into it in PA. Wouldn't you know, they make us wear the old striped referee shirts. The association I am in would like to go to the customary while officating shirts, but the higher ups in PA won't allow it. Apparently, what I hear through the grapevine is that some of the women feel it would look "see through" and another argument is that they say we wouldn't be recognized in white shirts where everyone knows exactly who you are in the striped shirt.

I like the white shirts as they were more comfortble in the warmer months and I thought they looked great. I figure there are shirts out there that are not "see through". After all, this isn't a wet t-shirt contest...LOL. As far as knowing who we are, I guess the black pants and emblem on the shirt stating "Volleybal Certified Official" does't give it away.

Anyone else wearing stripes? PA needs to get with the times?
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Anyone besides me wish we would go back to the strips? Just wondering?
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 06:28pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
ref, the stripes are gone for volleyball (thank God). After wearing the white polo for 12 years, I don't want to ever wear stripes again. I can wear the same uniform for high school, college, and club without having to have different articles of clothing (and, yes, we are still wearing white shirt, navy blue slacks, and white shoes/socks in California.) We do not submit to wearing basketball officiating attire.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've officiated in Pa for 20 years and have given up hope that we will ever switch to the white shirts. It may happen some day but it probably won't be until my officiating days are over.

The 'official' reason for not going to white shirts that I have gotten is that everyone recognizes the people in the zebra shirts so there is no need to change. My take is that the powers that be either don't want multi-sport officials to have to buy a different shirt and/or are afraid that they will lose a bunch of same officials if forced to buy another shirt.

Volleyball is seen by the PIAA heirarchy as a 'lesser' sport and most of the representatives have coached/played/officiated the 'glamour' sports of football, baseball, and basketball. They're used to the stripes on football and basketball officials and have always seen solid-color shirts in baseball. I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of the folks who vote down the white shirts for volleyball have never seen a college volleyball match and don't know that USAV volleyball exists.

If there is any consolation, they don't discriminate against volleyball officials. They still require soccer officials to wear stripes and they have changed the swimming officials' uniform from white to blue pants, supposedly for the reason you stated.

Oh yeah, there's a county in north-central Pa. that we like to refer to as God's Country. Take a trip there and maybe you'll feel like you're home!
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

PA,
I have heard rumblings through the proverbial grapevine that NFHS soccer may go back to zebra strips in a few years because of all of the colors. I have 5 different short sleeve and -4 long sleeve uniform shirts in my bag every game.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info PARef. I was wondering what the deal was behind the scenes. Hope y'all had a great season.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Icky icky icky. Talk about non in keeping with the tradition of the game! What do you do when one or both teams have striped jerseys?