The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Elbows …

Disclaimer: For IAABO Eyes Only: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...2FIE%2Bg%3D%3D

IAABO International Play Commentary
This is an intentional foul. If a player swings elbows excessively, (faster than the rest of the player’s torso), and contacts an opponent, it is at a minimum an intentional foul. If the contact is severe or the player ‘measures up’ the opponent, it is flagrant. (2012-13 POE) In this play, Red #35 swings her elbows in at a pace that exceeds the speed of the torso. This should be ruled an intentional personal foul. Officials only have rules support to rule this incidental contact or a common foul (player control foul) if the player's elbow was stationary when the contact occurred. A stationary elbow is defined as an elbow that is not moving faster than the rest of the player’s torso. (2012-13 POE)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: Intentional Foul 36% (including me), Incidental Contact 23%, Common Foul 22%, Flagrant Foul 19%.

While I can understand the difference of opinion between an intentional foul or a flagrant foul, the percentage of commentators who believe this to be a common foul, or incidental contact, is disheartening. When will the NFHS learn that an eight year old Point of Emphasis that doesn’t make its way permanently into the rulebook is a recipe for disaster? How are inexperienced or rookie officials supposed to know this interpretation?

Stupid NFHS.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Good Of The Cause ...

NFHS 2012-13 Points Of Emphasis

Contact above the shoulders. With a continued emphasis on reducing concussions and decreasing excessive contact situations the committee determined that more guidance is needed for penalizing contact above the shoulders.

A player shall not swing his/her arm(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent. Excessive swinging of the elbows occurs when arms and elbows are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arms and elbows is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot. Currently it is a violation in Rule 9 Section 13 Article.

Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties.
1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2. An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 02:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stationary ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO International Play Commentary ... A stationary elbow is defined as an elbow that is not moving faster than the rest of the player’s torso. (2012-13 POE)
Really?

I figure we have three choices: not moving, moving but not excessively moving, and excessively moving.

Guess which choice I think "stationary" means?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 20, 2021 at 03:23pm.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Are you having a conversation with yourself?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 02:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Talk To Myself ...

With apologies to the Divinyls (1990).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you having a conversation with yourself?
Yes I am.

Second post was for the good of the cause (eight year old citation for those that don't go that far back).

Third post was because I spotted an error in IAABO's explanation that I hadn't spotted earlier.

Feel free to join in my conversation, it's get boring talking to myself, although I'm getting pretty good at it during this COVID lockdown. My cat's only familiar with WNBA rules and interpretations, so I don't bother discussing basketball officiating with her.

C'mon JRutledge. Here's a great chance for you to take a much deserved potshot at IAABO. It's all teed up for you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 20, 2021 at 03:26pm.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

C'mon JRutledge. Here's a great chance for you to take a much deserved potshot at IAABO.
I do not work under IAABO, so I really do not care what their rulings might be. What I do wish is the NF would address these issues with something more than some old interpretations and putting something in a publication every no and then from NASO. Not sure why the NF cannot make this clearer?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BillyMac;1041039]Really?

I figure we have three choices: not moving, moving but not excessively moving, and excessively moving.
/QUOTE]

Basically the excessive movement they are trying say is to be considered intentional/flagrant is one that is moving independent with the torso. Its they're complicated way of trying to have the turn-around-and-someone's-face-happens-to-be-in-the-way not being ruled as intentional/flagrant.

Still have nightmares from those local rules meetings where we wasted two, one-hour long meetings on that stupid thing.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 04:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Importance Of NFHS Rulebook And Casebook To Be Current And Updated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do wish is the NF would address these issues with something more than some old interpretations and putting something in a publication every now and then from NASO. Not sure why the NF cannot make this clearer?
Agree with 99% of your post. Not all officials belong to NASQ, so that shouldn't count.

What publication does every single high school official in the country get? A NFHS rulebbok and a NFHS casebook. Everything that rookie officials and experienced officials need to know should be in the current rulebook and current casebook (written on dead trees, or online). If points of emphasis are important, put them in the current rulebook and current casebook. If an interpretation is deleted from the casebook, the NFHS should give a reason (no longer valid due to a rule change, no longer valid due to a change in interpretation philosophy, or still valid but determined to be not needed (to save space) by the rules committee because the rule alone is sufficient for a proper interpretation).

Sure good trainers should be aware of old and odd interpretations from way back when, and teach such (assuming these are slill valid), but even trainers eventually "age out" and won't be aware of these ancient, but still valid points of emphasis and interpretations that aren't in current rulebooks and casebooks.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 20, 2021 at 04:54pm.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Movement Not Excessive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Its they're complicated way of trying to have the turn-around-and-someone's-face-happens-to-be-in-the-way not being ruled as intentional/flagrant ...
That not what the point of emphasis states:

NFHS: An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.

If a player pivots with the arms (elbows) moving at the same rotational speed as the hips (body) and accidentally and unintentionally whacks an opponent in the head with an elbow, that's a classic example of an intentional foul under the eight year old point of emphasis.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 20, 2021 at 04:50pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Billy Mac - How many consecutive posts

BM - You were going for a personal best of consecutive posts before you were interrupted by Rut. BTW, what is your record for consecutive posts on any one thread?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Next After Esteemed Forum Member ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
... consecutive posts ...
Gotta get to 20,000 posts any way that I can.

Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulatory Thread

BM - Maybe we can have a thread when you get to 20,000 that just congratulates you and you can respond to every post....
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

A Distant 2nd place....

Your 10,000 behind Rut in quanity and WAY more in quality....see how I did that. Two separate posts in 3 minutes....I'm coming after you.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's An Art ...

Quote:
Maybe we can have a thread when you get to 20,000 that just congratulates you and you can respond to every post....
Like this? See how I did that? Comes second nature to me.

Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

See How I Did That ???

Quote:
Two separate posts in 3 minutes....I'm coming after you.
Amateur.