View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Elbows …

Disclaimer: For IAABO Eyes Only: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...2FIE%2Bg%3D%3D

IAABO International Play Commentary
This is an intentional foul. If a player swings elbows excessively, (faster than the rest of the player’s torso), and contacts an opponent, it is at a minimum an intentional foul. If the contact is severe or the player ‘measures up’ the opponent, it is flagrant. (2012-13 POE) In this play, Red #35 swings her elbows in at a pace that exceeds the speed of the torso. This should be ruled an intentional personal foul. Officials only have rules support to rule this incidental contact or a common foul (player control foul) if the player's elbow was stationary when the contact occurred. A stationary elbow is defined as an elbow that is not moving faster than the rest of the player’s torso. (2012-13 POE)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: Intentional Foul 36% (including me), Incidental Contact 23%, Common Foul 22%, Flagrant Foul 19%.

While I can understand the difference of opinion between an intentional foul or a flagrant foul, the percentage of commentators who believe this to be a common foul, or incidental contact, is disheartening. When will the NFHS learn that an eight year old Point of Emphasis that doesn’t make its way permanently into the rulebook is a recipe for disaster? How are inexperienced or rookie officials supposed to know this interpretation?

Stupid NFHS.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)