The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Guess I'll stop clicking on the thread hoping to learn anything new.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 02:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Goals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... the percentage of commentators who believe this to be a common foul, or incidental contact, is disheartening ...
Quote:
I figure we have three choices: not moving, moving but not excessively moving, and excessively moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Guess I'll stop clicking on the thread hoping to learn anything new.
I too am disappointed. This thread had two main goals:

1) Why did 55% of those IAABO members who commented on the video believe that this was only a common foul, or incidental contact?

2) Why did the IAABO International "Gang of Four" believe that stationary is the same as moving but not excessively moving?

Don't know if it's COVID, or Forum members "aging out" and retiring from the Forum, or passing away, or Forum members leaving the Forum for something better, but the Forum has really gotten less "active" over the past couple of years. If each of us could recruit two new members, maybe we can get back to our past glory. Mark Padgett may even offer a cash prize to whomever recruits the most new members.

The Forum has also gotten more "polite" and "politically correct". I may be willing to forgo that and go back to the old "name-calling days" to get the Forum more active again.

Maybe things will get better next year when everybody's playing basketball again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 22, 2021 at 12:12pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

We are all guilty of enabling BillyMac.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 02:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Your Yin, My Yang ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
We are all guilty of enabling BillyMac.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Jan 22, 2021, 11:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quality ...

Quote:
... the Forum has really gotten less "active" over the past couple of years ...
I didn't mean to sound so negative.

I'd like to add that while the quantity of posters and posts has dipped, the quality still remains quite good. With, or without, the official title, esteemed Forum members, some of whom I occasionally disagree with, or debate (you all know who you are), have much to offer the Forum, experience, intellect, rational thought, knowledge, patience, etc. They're all probably great officials on the court and we should be thankful and pleased that they want to share their expertise with the Forum.

And it's not just the Forum veterans. We've got some newer members, some with less than a thousand posts, who have a bright future, not only officiating basketball, but also educating fellow members of the Forum, and offering a "fresh" perspective.

And almost every single Forum member knows that a basketball is inflated, not stuffed; in other words, it's not just "book-learning".

Most Forum members know the difference between a written exam and a real game, and can navigate the waters between them.

And we all seem to understand the concept of "When in Rome ..." and understand that different doesn't always mean better, or worse, just different.

I am a better official, and a better trainer on my mechanics training committee, because of the Forum.

And if I ever have an odd situation that needs explaining, or a question, or a clarification, or a citation, I know that I get get some great expert input here on the Forum.

And when I'm wrong, I can usually find someone on the Forum to patiently explain to me why I'm wrong.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 22, 2021 at 01:44pm.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac, I think the real reason for the decline was the loss of March Madness last spring. That’s when all of the Forum alumni emerge from their cocoons to declare a crusade against the trolls that we claim to despise but secretly enjoy lambasting.

I’m only half kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
BillyMac, I think the real reason for the decline was the loss of March Madness last spring. That’s when all of the Forum alumni emerge from their cocoons to declare a crusade against the trolls that we claim to despise but secretly enjoy lambasting.

I’m only half kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the fact that much of the country did not even officiate yet or started late has hurt a lot of things when it comes to conversation. Also, there are ton more social media pages that people can go to. This format is not as fruitful anymore IMO for everyone.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 24, 2021, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More Forums To Choose From ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... loss of March Madness last spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... much of the country did not even officiate yet or started late has hurt a lot of things when it comes to conversation ... more social media pages that people can go to ...
Quote:
Maybe things will get better next year when everybody's playing basketball again.
About the same number of officials, more "forums" to choose from.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 24, 2021 at 07:44pm.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2021, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Annual Interpretations ...

Quote:
If points of emphasis are important, put them in the current rulebook and current casebook.
Same thing with annual interpretations.