The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Dunking ...

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...DLXmFiFzUx.mp4

I originally didn't want to post this video on the Forum because I didn't think it was a controversial situation. That is until I later received the IAABO International Play Commentary.

Disclaimer: For IAABO Eyes Only: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO International Play Commentary
Officials should be aware that a player does not need to “hang” on the ring to be penalized for a technical foul during a dunk attempt. Dunking is legal. (4-16) However, players must not grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury. (10-4-3) In this play, the offensive player grasps the ring as he dunks the ball into the basket. By rule, this is a technical foul.
Correct Answer: This is a technical foul for hanging on the ring.

4-16: Dunking is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s).

10-4-3: A player must not:Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Note: About 80% of IAABO members (including me) that commented on the video thought that this was not a technical foul for hanging on the rim.

Here was my comment on the video: Not doing chin-ups, not showing off, not acting like the daring young man on the flying trapeze, just catching his balance so that he doesn't break an ankle when landing. This is not a technical foul for hanging on the ring.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 16, 2021 at 02:35pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Glad I don't have to give a hoot what IAABO wants because there is not a chance in hell I am calling that in a HS or college game. I'm not a pioneer.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

King Of The Wild Frontier ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... not a chance in hell I am calling that in a HS or college game. I'm not a pioneer.
As did 80% of IAABO members (including me) that commented on the video.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 14, 2021 at 01:30pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not even close to a technical foul. I would get run out of the Chicago area if I called that a T. Hell naw!!!!

More IAABO trying to be pure mess.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 05:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Must Be Doing Something Right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not even close to a technical foul.
Fully agree. We've got to give the dunker a chance to catch his balance so that he doesn't injure himself when landing. It's a part of the rule.

10-4-3: A player must not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
More IAABO trying to be pure mess.
The good news is that 80% (actually 83%) of IAABO members that commented on the video disagreed with the IAABO International "Gang of Four"(who I've heard speak live and online and I who I highly respect, but I respectfully disagree with their interpretation of this situation).

83%. State and local IAABO interpreters must be doing something right.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 14, 2021 at 05:19pm.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2021, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

What state was that about 18 months ago which had this issue during the state finals weekend? I seem to recall that a state interpreter issued a directive for all of the officials to enforce the rule in the manner described above by Billy in his IAABO missive.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2021, 08:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

So Goes Maine, So Goes The Nation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What state was that about 18 months ago which had this issue during the state finals weekend? I seem to recall that a state interpreter issued a directive for all of the officials to enforce the rule in the manner described above by Billy in his IAABO missive.
Maine.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1018008

Just try naming the last great NBA talent to come straight out of Maine.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 16, 2021 at 08:40am.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2021, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Today's Basketball History Lesson, It Will Be On The Test ...

Quote:
The rule predates breakaway rims. The problem is that the rule does prohibit grasping the basket while dunking the ball. It needs to be updated. Touching the basket is permitted as noted in 4-6-2 Exception. That said, the game has evolved and players have been permitted to grasp the ring while dunking for several years now. Whoever is responsible for this madness taking place in Maine has earned the over-officious award for 2018.
When Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) (UCLA 1966-1969, NBA 1969-1989) started playing basketball for UCLA Bruins, NCAA officials felt that the seven foot, two inch All-American center, being especially tall and athletic, could place the ball over the rim and throw it through the hoop with ease. This feat of athleticism which we all know as the dunk, and seems so routine now, was not so routine back in the mid-1960’s. It was considered unfair that he could do it so easily. So the NCAA banned dunking in 1967. This was called the “Alcindor Rule”. Another reason dunking was outlawed was to prevent injury and equipment damage. A distorted rim could delay a game. As a result of the rule, Alcindor developed a great hook shot, the “Sky Hook”, which he used effectively during his playing days in college, and in the NBA. After multiple issues with the new rule and the invention of the breakaway rim the NCAA allowed the dunk to be legal again during 1976-1977 season which was shortly after UCLA Coach John Wooden's retirement. The “Alcindor Rule” eventually trickled down to NFHS rules. In 1967, the NFHS banned dunking in high school basketball games. In 1970, the NFHS also prohibited dunking during pregame warmups. Like the NCAA, the NFHS reversed itself in 1976 and a rule change allowed dunking during the game but not during pregame warmups, nor during intermissions, and with a later rule change in 1978 outlawing dunking a dead ball.

Darryl Dawkins (NBA 1975-1989), the Philadelphia 76ers six foot, eleven inch, 251 pound center, in a game against the Kansas City Kings at Municipal Auditorium on November 13, 1979 dunked and broke the backboard sending the King’s Bill Robinzine ducking away. Three weeks later he did it again, this time at home against the San Antonio Spurs at the Spectrum. Thus, Dawkins became famous for his backboard shattering dunks and is credited for being the player to cause the NBA to introduce breakaway rims. Breakaway rims are now an essential element of the game of basketball. A broken backboard or distorted rim could delay a game for hours. In 1981 the NFHS adopted specifications for breakaway rims.

Shaquille O'Neal (LSU 1989-1992, NBA 1992-2011) a seven foot, one inch, 325 pound center, was one of the heaviest players ever to play in the NBA. O'Neal dunked with so much power that he broke the steel supports holding backboards during games against the New Jersey Nets and the Phoenix Suns while playing for the Orlando Magic during the 1992–93 NBA season. This prompted the NBA to increase the strength and stability of the backboard supports and change the stanchion design for the following 1993–94 season. The NFHS added backboard support specifications to the rules in 1996-97.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 16, 2021 at 01:19pm.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2021, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look Out Below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
The interpretation used to be closer to literal than it is now. But even back when the hand wrapping and instantly letting go (as in the video) wasn't called. And I think it was in the 80s that the language was added about holding on for protection.
In the mid-eighties, I believe that the grasping rule's only exception was to prevent injury to the dunker and to players under the dunker if, and only if, there were players under the dunker.

Then it was changed to a grasp that prevents injury to any player, the dunker (with, or without, players below), or the players below.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 16, 2021 at 04:23pm.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2021, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory ...

Quote:
That said, the game has evolved and players have been permitted to grasp the ring while dunking for several years now. Whoever is responsible for this madness taking place in Maine has earned the over-officious award for 2018.
The most over-officious award involving a dunk of all-time goes to the college official who, back in the early 1980s, decided, on his way out of the gym to the locker room, to penalize a post game dead ball celebratory one-point victory dunk by a Southern Connecticut State College player. Springfield College tied the game with a technical foul free throw and went on to win the game in overtime. A sad day for the SCSC Owls.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 24, 2021 at 01:48pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2021, 09:55pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The most over-officious award involving a dunk of all-time goes to the college official who, back in the early 1980s, decided, on his way out of the gym to the locker room, to penalize a post game dead ball celebratory victory dunk by a Southern Connecticut State College player. Springfield College tied the game with a technical foul free throw and went on to win the game in overtime. A sad day for the SCSC Owls.

I thought that book was about the Cleveland Browns!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio