View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Dunking ...

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...DLXmFiFzUx.mp4

I originally didn't want to post this video on the Forum because I didn't think it was a controversial situation. That is until I later received the IAABO International Play Commentary.

Disclaimer: For IAABO Eyes Only: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO International Play Commentary
Officials should be aware that a player does not need to “hang” on the ring to be penalized for a technical foul during a dunk attempt. Dunking is legal. (4-16) However, players must not grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury. (10-4-3) In this play, the offensive player grasps the ring as he dunks the ball into the basket. By rule, this is a technical foul.
Correct Answer: This is a technical foul for hanging on the ring.

4-16: Dunking is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s).

10-4-3: A player must not:Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Note: About 80% of IAABO members (including me) that commented on the video thought that this was not a technical foul for hanging on the rim.

Here was my comment on the video: Not doing chin-ups, not showing off, not acting like the daring young man on the flying trapeze, just catching his balance so that he doesn't break an ankle when landing. This is not a technical foul for hanging on the ring.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 16, 2021 at 02:35pm.