The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Dunking;
During preGame warm-ups = T
What about an attempt to dunk in pre-game?

Dunking:
During Game = OK
During a dead ball situation in game?
Attempt to dunk during dead ball in the game?

Dunking after final horn?
Attempting to Dunk after the horn?

"technical foul if ...dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball prior to or during the game or during any intermission until jurisdiction of the officials has ended. This item applies to all team members."
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
Dunking;
During preGame warm-ups = T
What about an attempt to dunk in pre-game?

Dunking:
During Game = OK
During a dead ball situation in game?
Attempt to dunk during dead ball in the game?

Dunking after final horn?
Attempting to Dunk after the horn?

"technical foul if ...dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball prior to or during the game or during any intermission until jurisdiction of the officials has ended. This item applies to all team members."
Dunking - During warmups, automatic T. An attempted dunk in my book is just like a dunk, T coach loses his box and has to sit the whole game.

After the final horn and the end of the game, I ignore it.

Dead ball dunking I would say judgement. If the dunk was an attempt after the shot before the whistle then let it go. If the player just dunks for no reason during a dead ball, wack him.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Define attempt to dunk.

Do you mean throwing it down, contacting the rim, and missing a dunk or being above the basket and kind of dropping it over?

One is a T, the other has me telling the player, "Don't make me decide if that was a dunk."
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

WHY?

What is the purpose of this rule? Isn't it to ensure that the equipment doesn't get damaged before the game starts or during a dead ball? There is probably also some relevance to the taunting aspect of a big crashing dunk - that's why we call a T for hanging on the rim or doing chin-ups.

I firmly believe that we need to enforce the purpose of the rule and not someone's incorrect grammatical interpretations of rule book technicalities.

So, from my viewpoint, dropping the ball through from above the rim is definitely not a dunk. Challenging the integrity of the basket before the game has the potential to damage the equipment and therefore stop the game before it gets started - T-bone. Showboating/taunting during a deadball should likely be a T in all situations.

I've seen officials call a T for simply shooting a deadball; per 10-3-6b (last year's book), that's correct but I wouldn't do it.

10-3-6b A player shall not... delay the game by acts such as: failing when in control, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a violation or foul is called.

I will T-bone those that showboaters or those that commit unnecessary acts that could potentially damage the equipment.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 05:39pm
In Memoriam

Re: WHY?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I firmly believe that we need to enforce the purpose of the rule and not someone's incorrect grammatical interpretations of rule book technicalities.

So, from my viewpoint, dropping the ball through from above the rim is definitely not a dunk. Challenging the integrity of the basket before the game has the potential to damage the equipment and therefore stop the game before it gets started - T-bone. Showboating/taunting during a deadball should likely be a T in all situations.

Actually, if you do enforce the grammatical interpretation of the "dunking" definition, then the call falls right into place with what you're advocating.

Rule 4-16 sez that a dunk is "driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s)".

Simply dropping the ball through the basket from above meets none of the criteria mentioned in the "dunk" definition. Ergo, the rule book agrees with you. No call.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Don't use contact with the ring as your determining factor.

But note that contact with the ring is NOT part of the definition. So, you can have a "dunk" without the player touching the ring.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Don't use contact with the ring as your determining factor.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
But note that contact with the ring is NOT part of the definition. So, you can have a "dunk" without the player touching the ring.

Which is why I said, "Don't make me decide if that was a dunk."