The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-W: Cylinder?

Does NCAA-W have a cylinder rule?

In the Ohio State/Iowa women's game, the L called a PCF on an OS player who was so closely guarded that she could not stand upright without causing contact or falling forward. I'm not describing it well, but it looked to me that the defender was crowding the offensive player, clearly within her cylinder.

The actual foul call was because the OS player, in trying to stand erect, pushed the defender out of the OS player's cylinder.

Sorry, I did not pay attention to the time of the play. If anyone else saw this and can provide the time, maybe Jeff can pull it up? I'd like to see it again, to see if my impression was accurate.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Does NCAA-W have a cylinder rule?

In the Ohio State/Iowa women's game, the L called a PCF on an OS player who was so closely guarded that she could not stand upright without causing contact or falling forward. I'm not describing it well, but it looked to me that the defender was crowding the offensive player, clearly within her cylinder.

The actual foul call was because the OS player, in trying to stand erect, pushed the defender out of the OS player's cylinder.

Sorry, I did not pay attention to the time of the play. If anyone else saw this and can provide the time, maybe Jeff can pull it up? I'd like to see it again, to see if my impression was accurate.
No.

Is this your description, the announcers description, ...?

(That blue is for x-ref, not for sarcasm)
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

The description is mine--to avoid agita, I listen to sports with the sound off--but I tried to be as accurate as I could; I added the "out of the OS player's cylinder" only to better describe the play. The OS player clearly pushed the defender in trying to straighten up and it was obvious that this push was the PCF, but the defender was clearly straddling the legs of the OS player, who was bent forward in receiving the ball and could not stand upright without increasing the contact.

I had no issue with the PCF if the defensive pressure was legal.