The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 23, 2020, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Projecting Droplets ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Isn't the other part of the problem that players will not be wearing masks and thus projecting droplets, to which officials will be exposed?
Great point. Now I'm concerned if I'm only wearing one of those "whistle pouches".

Concerned about me getting the virus and passing it to somebody else. Concerned about getting sick and suffering. Concerned about long lasting health effects after recovery. Concerned about dying. Concerned about dying while physically separated from family.

But it's "for the kids"? Sorry. Probably not today. Maybe later.

There's online learning. How about online officiating from the comfort and safety of my computer in my secret underground COVID shelter?

Zoom has a great "Raise Your Hand" feature, it's just like signaling to stop the clock.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 23, 2020 at 11:53am.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I never quite understood the clock reference. It may be correct twice a day but at any other time, which is a huge majority of the time, it is incorrect, so much so, it is rendered useless. Ergo, no need for the clock at all.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Off Of My Iceberg (With Apologies To The Rolling Stones) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I never quite understood the clock reference. It may be correct twice a day but at any other time, which is a huge majority of the time, it is incorrect, so much so, it is rendered useless.
Are you calling me useless?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I never quite understood the clock reference. It may be correct twice a day but at any other time, which is a huge majority of the time, it is incorrect, so much so, it is rendered useless. Ergo, no need for the clock at all.
It does not mean you are right most of the time. Not sure what is hard about understanding this one.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

It was just announced that all of our local IAABO board meetings in 2020-21 will be held via Zoom, probably starting in October or November.

That doesn't give me much confidence that high school basketball will be played in Connecticut this winter.

On a more positive note, I noticed that Halloween candy is on sale at Walmart, CVS, and Stop and Shop.

Instead of X-raying candy for needles and pins, parents will be asking for candy COVID testing.

Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It was just announced that all of our local IAABO board meetings in 2020-21 will be held via Zoom, probably starting in October or November.

That doesn't give me much confidence that high school basketball will be played in Connecticut this winter.

On a more positive note, I noticed that Halloween candy is on sale at Walmart, CVS, and Stop and Shop.

Instead of X-raying candy for needles and pins, parents will be asking for candy COVID testing.
Well, that is all anyone is doing, Zoom meetings. I have been to more Zoom meetings in the last few months that I have met with anyone like I would for work. And I was at a camp this past weekend. I think large gatherings are not going to be the choice until it is necessary (meaning the games).

Peace
Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If Cain was healthy when he went to the Tulsa rally and became sick shortly afterwards, it is a fair, reasonable inference that he may have been infected there. Open to disagreement, but certainly not disingenuous (deceitful, dishonest) at all.
No, it isn't a reasonable inference, at least not any more than the dozen other places he may have been in the week or two prior to becoming sick. Where did he have dinner the day before he left for the rally? Where did he buy his groceries the day after he returned??

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Aug 24, 2020 at 11:32pm.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2020, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whether or not I wear a mask while refereeing is only part of the equation. Isn't the other part of the problem that players will not be wearing masks and thus projecting droplets, to which officials will be exposed?

When I shop or pick up take-out, the employees are always masked. That is different from officiating, where players are not masked, and that would make the risk greater.
It would be possible to officiate a game while maintaining a 6' distance (or more).
Old Tue Aug 25, 2020, 01:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, it isn't a reasonable inference, at least not any more than the dozen other places he may have been in the week or two prior to becoming sick. Where did he have dinner the day before he left for the rally? Where did he buy his groceries the day after he returned??
The inference is that he did not take it seriously or as a threat to his health and the health of others. He did not wear a mask there, he likely did not wear one any other place where people were around. We will never know exactly the place, but we know he went to a rally and wore nothing and openly thought it was not something to worry about (social media Tweets, even after he died ).

So if he got sick not taking it seriously, there are likely others that have been in the same situation and have died. Actually there are people in some positions that openly said it was not a big deal, later to find out they died too.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 25, 2020, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is reasonable, perhaps not the only one, but one possibility among a number. Or he might have been exposed and infected on several of those occasions. But if he were mask-less in those other venues as well, the point is made, regardless.

Last edited by LRZ; Tue Aug 25, 2020 at 08:32am.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2020, 11:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cough It Up ...

Quote:
Great point. Now I'm concerned if I'm only wearing one of those "whistle pouches".
Like when I'm about to hand the ball to an inbounder for a front court endlne throwin and he unintentionally coughs directly into my unmasked face.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 25, 2020 at 12:22pm.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2020, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've been going to grocery stores on a regular basis since the pandemic started. I've been going to restaurants since the end of May. In both of those situations I am easily able to socially distance myself. Cain was not socially distancing himself at the convention, nor were an overwhelming majority of the people who attended, not to mention no other activity he did prior or after would have him around that many people at one time in one space. So no, it is not reasonable nor intellectually honest to state his chances to have caught it at the Tulsa rally were not greater than at other venues, businesses, or facilities.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Aug 25, 2020 at 02:25pm.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2020, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Also the time of exposure is very important. Time spent at the rally was way more than time spent at a supermarket.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2020, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Also the time of exposure is very important. Time spent at the rally was way more than time spent at a supermarket.
Exactly. I have also been to many restaurants and not once was I next to anyone but my wife or son on a regular basis. Not had the virus symptoms and my wife is a medical worker that spends many days with virus patients.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 26, 2020, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I've been going to grocery stores on a regular basis since the pandemic started. I've been going to restaurants since the end of May. In both of those situations I am easily able to socially distance myself. Cain was not socially distancing himself at the convention, nor were an overwhelming majority of the people who attended, not to mention no other activity he did prior or after would have him around that many people at one time in one space. So no, it is not reasonable nor intellectually honest to state his chances to have caught it at the Tulsa rally were not greater than at other venues, businesses, or facilities.
You're assuming what else he did or did not do in the days before an after the rally. Unless you know something I don't, you can't make any claim that it was more likely from the rally. Maybe he visited a nursing home in NYC.