The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

The Upcoming Season WAYGD?

WAYGD? What are you gonna do?

Obviously things are still fluid around the country with respect to HS team sports...Football getting ready to kick off....Volleyball playing....A friend of mine who is a V football official attended his daughters V VB contest and they made spectators wear masks. In game participants and officials did not but bench people did. Okay, I guess that's good...also a limited number of tickets available to each player's family and they were required to check in and have name checked off the list before allowing entry.

So we are all curious what's going to happen with hoops...but what are YOU going to do? Do you have concerns? Have you decided you'll bypass officiating this year? Mask, no mask, mask with the gonzo nose/regular whistle, regular mask and the handheld whistle?

WAYGD?

Me...I'm still up in the air. I don't really want to wear mask officiating and refuse to use handheld whistles as I think they suck and you can't really hear them.

Where's your head at right now in August with respect to officiating basketball?
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in a high-risk category, I think, simply because of my age, so I may forego the season. As this was likely to be my final year, in any event, I may "retire" early.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Every college conference with which I'm associated has postponed all sports until January 1st at the earliest, and as of now high school basketball in my state starts December 28th. Therefore I have quite a while to make a decision. If college basketball happens this schoo year, I will most likely officiate. I'm still on the fence about high school because I'm not totally enamored with all the facilities I would be working at.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 10:29am.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

State Sports Plans ...

From the NFHS (as of August 19, 2020)

Alaska (First contests for fall sports moved from August 14 to August 20)

Arizona (Golf – August 17; Cross Country and Swimming and Diving – August 24; Badminton, Fall Soccer and Volleyball – August 31; and Football – September 7)

California (December 2020 or January 2021)

Colorado (Boys Golf – August 3; Boys Tennis – August 10; Cross Country – August 12; Football – February 22; Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Boys Soccer, Unified Bowling and Girls Volleyball – March 1)

Connecticut (August 17)

Delaware (Winter Sports – December 2020; Fall Sports – February 2021; The exact start dates will be decided upon at the September DIAA Board of Directors meeting.)

District of Columbia (January 4)

Florida (August 24)

Illinois (Boys/Girls Golf, Girls Tennis, Boys/Girls Cross Country, and Girls Swimming and Diving – August 10; Boys Soccer, Football and Girls Volleyball – Spring 2021)

Iowa (The IHSAA announced a revised seven-week regular season football schedule running from August 28 through October 9.)

Hawaii (Cheerleading, Cross Country, Football and Girls Volleyball – January 2021)

Georgia (The Georgia High School Association postponed the start of football season until September 4; while permitted to continue practice, competitive cheerleading competitions are delayed until November 21.)

Kentucky (August 24; The golf season schedule is unchanged.)

Louisiana (Cross Country and Swimming and Diving – August 31; Volleyball – September 8; and Football – October 8)

Maine (September 8)

Maryland (Fall and winter competition seasons postponed during the first semester)

Massachusetts (September 14)

Michigan (Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis and Volleyball – August 12; Football – Spring 2021; Competition guidelines for Volleyball, Boys soccer and Lower Peninsula Girls Swimming & Diving will be announced August 19.)

Minnesota (Cross Country, Tennis, Soccer, and Swimming and Diving – August 17; Football and Volleyball – Spring 2021)

Mississippi (August 10; Football starts August 17)

Nevada (Winter sports January 2; Fall sports February 20; Spring sports April 3)

New Hampshire (September 8)

New Jersey (September 14)

New Mexico (The NMAA, through Governor recommendations, canceled contact sports competition for the fall. As a result, the 2020 football and soccer seasons have been switched to the spring semester.)

New York (Not before September 21)

North Carolina (Cross Country and Volleyball – November 4; Swimming and Diving – November 23; Basketball – December 7; Boys Soccer and Lacrosse – January 11; Football – February 8; Boys Tennis, Girls Soccer and Softball – March 1; Baseball, Girls Tennis, Track and Field, and Wrestling – April 12; and Cheerleading – May 1)

Ohio (If, through Governor recommendations, football is permitted competition, the OHSAA feature a six-game season with a postseason will last no later than November 21. Golf, Tennis, Volleyball and Cross Country are permitted to have contests. Decisions on Field Hockey and Soccer will be made at a later date.)

Oregon (Basketball, Swimming and Diving, and Wrestling – December 28; Football, Soccer, Volleyball and Cross Country – February 22)

Pennsylvania (August 24)

Rhode Island (September 14)

South Carolina (Girls Golf, Swimming and Diving, and Girls Tennis – August 17; Cross Country and Volleyball – August 24; Competitive Cheer and Football – September 8.)

Texas (August 3 for conferences 1A-4A football and volleyball; conferences 5A-6A start September 7)

Vermont (Football programs are allowed to hold a 7-on-7 touch football season (not the NFHS-recognized 6-, 8-, 9- or 11-player contact football); Volleyball matches must be held outside – September 8)

Virginia (December 14)

Washington (September 7)

West Virginia (August 17)

Wisconsin (Fall Sports – August 17; Winter Sports – November 23; Alternate Fall Sports – February/March, per WIAA Release; and Spring Sports – April 19)

The following states will not play football this fall:
California
Colorado
Delaware
District of Columbia
Hawaii
Illinois
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oregon
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I will be on the court as soon as I get assigned games to work as long as I don't have to wear a mask or use an electronic whistle.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 11:09pm
beware big brother

I have been working AAU tournaments every weekend in Illinois and Wisconsin for the last month, and have at least a few more weekends scheduled. If and when college games start, I will be there, for high school games, I was trying to do as few as possible before covid, now I have an excuse to do none.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2020, 07:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Well my NAIA conferences at this point are going as scheduled. The HS will start a little later and no tournaments will take place, which is usually the first week of the season. Season for high school got moved back, but we do not know when they are able to play games at this point. All the NCAA stuff got moved back as well, so not much information on schedule as of right now there either. So as Raymond said, I have some time. Right now I am going forward. But the issue this year is football for both high school and college start late winter so not sure how that is going to change things.

I will be at a camp for the next two weekends. A lot of little protocols to work those games. I will see how I feel.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 20, 2020, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I'm out if we have to wear a mask. I can't hardly breathe under exertion with a mask just walking briskly without concentration in breathing. It's like walking through a sauna and nearly chokes me. Was born with cleft pallet/lip. After multiple surgeries things aren't quite right and I have to consciously breathe through my nose.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2020, 12:55pm
Administrator

Mark, last game officiated/umpired was Wed, Mar. 11th: college softball in Florida. By the time we were having lunch on our way home on Fri., Mar. 13th, his entired H.S. baseball and H.S. and college softball schedule had been canceled.

While there has been youth baseball and softball tournaments and a couple of college sponsered H.S. basketball team camps this Summer, Mark, Jr., choose not to umpire baseball and softball (nor officiate basketball) this Summer because he did not want to risk being infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus; that is not fear talking, that is science talking.

Yes, he lost a considerable revenue stream this Spring, he lost 5 Div. I conference weekends and a possible NCAA Div. II or Div. III Regional. But we let science prevail and not politics. We are seeing the results of not listening to the STEM professionals.

Earlier this week in interviews on CNN:

Dr. Deborah Birx: https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...s/coronavirus/

and

Dr. Anthony Fauci: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...cdb547684b2645

We have seen out breaks of COVID-19 because of large gatherings where the wearing of masks and physical/social distancing protocols were not followed: Just think of President Trumps political rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the number of his staffers that tested positive for COVID-19 and Herman Cain not only contracting COVID-19 but dying from it.

Now look at how these protocols are being ingnored on college campuses, by the rank-and-file college students. Colleges are proving unable to insure that its students will follow safety protocols and K-12 public school districts are seeing outbreaks of COVID-19. And let us not forget Sturgis, South Dakota; how long will it before we see the consequences of that gathering.

Those in power at the highest levels listened to money instead of listening to the STEM experts. And our country is now suffering from it. I am reminded of the meme that has made the rounds of social media: "At the beginning of a disaster movie is a scientist whom the politicians ignore."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Aug 20, 2020, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Mark, last game officiated/umpired was Wed, Mar. 11th: college softball in Florida. By the time we were having lunch on our way home on Fri., Mar. 13th, his entired H.S. baseball and H.S. and college softball schedule had been canceled.

While there has been youth baseball and softball tournaments and a couple of college sponsered H.S. basketball team camps this Summer, Mark, Jr., choose not to umpire baseball and softball (nor officiate basketball) this Summer because he did not want to risk being infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus; that is not fear talking, that is science talking.

Yes, he lost a considerable revenue stream this Spring, he lost 5 Div. I conference weekends and a possible NCAA Div. II or Div. III Regional. But we let science prevail and not politics. We are seeing the results of not listening to the STEM professionals.

Earlier this week in interviews on CNN:

Dr. Deborah Birx: https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...s/coronavirus/

and

Dr. Anthony Fauci: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...cdb547684b2645

We have seen out breaks of COVID-19 because of large gatherings where the wearing of masks and physical/social distancing protocols were not followed: Just think of President Trumps political rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the number of his staffers that tested positive for COVID-19 and Herman Cain not only contracting COVID-19 but dying from it.

Now look at how these protocols are being ingnored on college campuses, by the rank-and-file college students. Colleges are proving unable to insure that its students will follow safety protocols and K-12 public school districts are seeing outbreaks of COVID-19. And let us not forget Sturgis, South Dakota; how long will it before we see the consequences of that gathering.

Those in power at the highest levels listened to money instead of listening to the STEM experts. And our country is now suffering from it. I am reminded of the meme that has made the rounds of social media: "At the beginning of a disaster movie is a scientist whom the politicians ignore."

MTD, Sr.
Cain traveled a lot in the weeks prior to the rally . Personally wouldn't rak medical advice from someone that told his AIDS patients they could have sex with anyone if theirblevels fell below detection thresholds and been wrong about every outbreak since and every step of this outbreak. And neither of those have treated patients in years.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 02:09am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Cain traveled a lot in the weeks prior to the rally . Personally wouldn't rak medical advice from someone that told his AIDS patients they could have sex with anyone if theirblevels fell below detection thresholds and been wrong about every outbreak since and every step of this outbreak. And neither of those have treated patients in years.

Herman Cain was not a medical doctor. He was a business man.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Herman Cain was not a medical doctor. He was a business man.

MTD, Sr.
Did I say was a doctor? I said he traveled a lot prior to Tulsa so linking his death to Tulsa is disingenuous. The rest of the rest of the comments were in reference to Lord Pope Fauci, the Oft Wrong and Pompous and fellow unlicensed Dr. Birx.

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 07:34am.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

If Cain was healthy when he went to the Tulsa rally and became sick shortly afterwards, it is a fair, reasonable inference that he may have been infected there. Open to disagreement, but certainly not disingenuous (deceitful, dishonest) at all.

From whom do you get your medical advice? And, please, let's not descend to the level of schoolyard name-calling.

Last edited by LRZ; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 09:01am.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 09:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Did I say was a doctor? I said he traveled a lot prior to Tulsa so linking his death to Tulsa is disingenuous. The rest of the rest of the comments were in reference to Lord Pope Fauci, the Oft Wrong and Pompous and fellow unlicensed Dr. Birx.
I think we can make several infurances by what happened to Cain if he died and we are not aware of the others he could have infected. We know he had the virus, his family confirmed that several times. So even if he did not get it at that rally, he could have given it to someone that was there and many were not wearing a mask at all. I personally would be a little concerned if I found out I was around someone that had the virus and did not do things to help prevent the spread. Then that person dies as well? Sorry, very much a decent assumption that this person did not care about who he could hurt by not at doing the very least.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think we can make several infurances by what happened to Cain if he died and we are not aware of the others he could have infected. We know he had the virus, his family confirmed that several times. So even if he did not get it at that rally, he could have given it to someone that was there and many were not wearing a mask at all. I personally would be a little concerned if I found out I was around someone that had the virus and did not do things to help prevent the spread. Then that person dies as well? Sorry, very much a decent assumption that this person did not care about who he could hurt by not at doing the very least.

Peace
You'd have to know you had the virus or exposed to be concerned about spreading it. I doubt he would of went if he thought he was infected.

As for information, I work for a hospital and her bombarded with information every day.