The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

BI on TI

Today's Referee.com case play: BI on a TI, 2 points awarded.

On a TI, A1 throws the ball, which bounces off the rim, and while the ball is in the cylinder above the basket, B1 touches the ball and knocks it away. Ruling: BI and 2 points, because BI does not require a try or tap.

Goaltending does require a try or tap, so if B1 touches the ball before it hits the rim, it's not goaltending because the throw is not a try or a tap.

BI on a throw that, if it went in, would be a violation by the throwing team? If I had this happen in a game, I would have gotten it wrong.

Query: If BI occurs on a TI from beyond the 3-point line, do you award 3 points? Or is this throw considered not "from the field by a player behind" his/her arc?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2020, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Today's Referee.com case play: BI on a TI, 2 points awarded.

On a TI, A1 throws the ball, which bounces off the rim, and while the ball is in the cylinder above the basket, B1 touches the ball and knocks it away. Ruling: BI and 2 points, because BI does not require a try or tap.

Goaltending does require a try or tap, so if B1 touches the ball before it hits the rim, it's not goaltending because the throw is not a try or a tap.

BI on a throw that, if it went in, would be a violation by the throwing team? If I had this happen in a game, I would have gotten it wrong.

Query: If BI occurs on a TI from beyond the 3-point line, do you award 3 points? Or is this throw considered not "from the field by a player behind" his/her arc?
OOB is not behind the 3-point line. It is OOB.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2020, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the BI causes the ball to become dead immediately, so whether the ball then goes in or not is immaterial. Award 2 points if violation by defense, then resume play with a TI (spot or anywhere along the EL dependent).

In 11 years, only got close to this once, on a botched alley-oop, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jun 13, 2020, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

crosscountry55: What I meant was if there had been no BI and the TI went in, that would be a TI violation.

It seems incongruous to award points on a TI-BI where the TI itself could not result in a basket, but Referee.com says yes.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2020, 11:42am
Administrator

Quote:
crosscountry55: What I meant was if there had been no BI and the TI went in, that would be a TI violation.

It seems incongruous to award points on a TI-BI where the TI itself could not result in a basket, but Referee.com says yes.
I do not have access to my Casebook but there is at least one NFHS Casebook Play and at least one NCAA Men's and Women's Casebook Play/Approved Ruling addressing this Play. It is BI, per rule, because the Ball is Live during a Throw-in and BI only pertains to a Live Ball that is in the Cylinder and how the Ball came to be in the Cylinder has no bearing on the Play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jun 13, 2020, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It is logical because, without it, the throwing team could "shoot the ball" and then slightly touch the ball just before it goes in to end the throwin and make it a legal basket, being more or indefensible. Having BI prevents that. To keep it simple, the same rule applies the defense.