The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 27, 2020, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Notre Dame/Florida State video request

At 2:31 in the second half there is a travel and a T called on Notre Dame. This prompted Brey to complain about the officiating in the postgame and call out the official by name.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2020, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

...For which his school was subsequently fined $20K, and I’m sure it’s in his contract that this will come out of his pocket. To his credit, he has already apologized and accepted responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 12:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Peace
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

The coach was right about it not being a travel.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Another case of calling something because it looks awkward, but not because one observed clear illegal action.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

oops
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 08:54am
Courageous When Prudent

We all miss calls. My problem with this missed call is that the Center official could see the Lead is on the play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 12:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
What? Transition plays are dual coverage nearly all the time....if there was a travel the Slot would actually have the best look here.

Unfortunate IC, reminder we need to have a HIGH degree of certainty before calling things that result in a turnover especially late in the game.
Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Center was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 28, 2020 at 01:13pm.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Trail was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

I think at the time of the pass / "third foot" coming down, L had another player in the way.

I have no problem with C getting this (assuming it had been a travel, of course).

Unless we talk with L, we won't know whether he saw it and judged it correctly, or didn't see it so didn't call it.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 12:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think at the time of the pass / "third foot" coming down, L had another player in the way.

I have no problem with C getting this (assuming it had been a travel, of course).

Unless we talk with L, we won't know whether he saw it and judged it correctly, or didn't see it so didn't call it.
If I'm that far behind a play and my partner's right there I'm not coming to get it, especially when I'm looking at the back of the player.

Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 01:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Trail was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.
You mean the Center don't you?

In any case the Lead has a couple bodies passing between him and the player with the ball which can obscure his vision the feet/ball/etc.

In your first post you said the Center could see Lead was on the play. In transition there's no way any official should be looking at their partner to see where their eyes are. There's too much going on. In a half court set you generally get a feel for what your partners can and can't see but in transition -- all bets are off.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You mean the Center don't you?

In any case the Lead has a couple bodies passing between him and the player with the ball which can obscure his vision the feet/ball/etc.

In your first post you said the Center could see Lead was on the play. In transition there's no way any official should be looking at their partner to see where their eyes are. There's too much going on. In a half court set you generally get a feel for what your partners can and can't see but in transition -- all bets are off.
The Lead is in the same line of vision as the ball-handler from the Center's vantage point.

We can either continue to do the same things or we can strive to get better by looking at plays where we (officials) make mistakes and figure out how or why it should have been handled differently.

I have also learned from my own personal experiences not to call travels when I don't see the ball thru the entire sequence. There is a point where the ball handler's back is completely turned to the Center official, therefore he would have no idea if there was a bobble or not during those two steps.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 28, 2020 at 01:21pm.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

To me this wasn't even a "because it looked funny" travel. It didn't even enter my mind when I watched the play for the first time (I didn't know a travel was the call that preceded the T).

We all have bad ICs.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bobbleheads ...

Quote:
... not to call travels when I don't see the ball thru the entire sequence. There is a point where the ball handler's back is completely turned to the Center official, therefore he would have no idea if there was a bobble or not during those two steps.
Good point, especially when the coach and fans see the ball being bobbled.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to hear that.

I’ve had way too many pregames this year where my R has uttered the stale and antiquated, “Tonight we’re going to referee our primaries...stay in your primary...unless it’s an elephant, blah blah blah.” These are quality varsity games and our conversations are at the 101 level instead of the 401 level. And I know what some of you are thinking....”well, Cross, as the U2 you have to step in and take charge of the pregame...” Hey I’m with ya, but around here usurping some of our grizzly veterans is about as taboo as a loud fart in church on Christmas morning. So after a while you just have to live with the fact that elements of your association are about ten years behind the times. It’s frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk