The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Notre Dame/Florida State video request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104957-notre-dame-florida-state-video-request.html)

SC Official Mon Jan 27, 2020 08:15pm

Notre Dame/Florida State video request
 
At 2:31 in the second half there is a travel and a T called on Notre Dame. This prompted Brey to complain about the officiating in the postgame and call out the official by name.

crosscountry55 Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40pm

...For which his school was subsequently fined $20K, and Iím sure itís in his contract that this will come out of his pocket. To his credit, he has already apologized and accepted responsibility.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5Y4lSIzaU0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Jan 28, 2020 02:08am

The coach was right about it not being a travel.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 28, 2020 03:34am

Another case of calling something because it looks awkward, but not because one observed clear illegal action.

Indianaref Tue Jan 28, 2020 07:46am

oops:o

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 08:54am

We all miss calls. My problem with this missed call is that the Center official could see the Lead is on the play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AremRed Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037197)
We all miss calls. My problem with this missed call is that the Center official could see the Lead is on the play.

What? Transition plays are dual coverage nearly all the time....if there was a travel the Slot would actually have the best look here.

Unfortunate IC, reminder we need to have a HIGH degree of certainty before calling things that result in a turnover especially late in the game.

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1037201)
What? Transition plays are dual coverage nearly all the time....if there was a travel the Slot would actually have the best look here.

Unfortunate IC, reminder we need to have a HIGH degree of certainty before calling things that result in a turnover especially late in the game.

Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Center was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037202)
Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Trail was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think at the time of the pass / "third foot" coming down, L had another player in the way.

I have no problem with C getting this (assuming it had been a travel, of course).

Unless we talk with L, we won't know whether he saw it and judged it correctly, or didn't see it so didn't call it.

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1037203)
I think at the time of the pass / "third foot" coming down, L had another player in the way.



I have no problem with C getting this (assuming it had been a travel, of course).



Unless we talk with L, we won't know whether he saw it and judged it correctly, or didn't see it so didn't call it.

If I'm that far behind a play and my partner's right there I'm not coming to get it, especially when I'm looking at the back of the player.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AremRed Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037202)
Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Trail was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

You mean the Center don't you?

In any case the Lead has a couple bodies passing between him and the player with the ball which can obscure his vision the feet/ball/etc.

In your first post you said the Center could see Lead was on the play. In transition there's no way any official should be looking at their partner to see where their eyes are. There's too much going on. In a half court set you generally get a feel for what your partners can and can't see but in transition -- all bets are off.

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1037206)
You mean the Center don't you?



In any case the Lead has a couple bodies passing between him and the player with the ball which can obscure his vision the feet/ball/etc.



In your first post you said the Center could see Lead was on the play. In transition there's no way any official should be looking at their partner to see where their eyes are. There's too much going on. In a half court set you generally get a feel for what your partners can and can't see but in transition -- all bets are off.

The Lead is in the same line of vision as the ball-handler from the Center's vantage point.

We can either continue to do the same things or we can strive to get better by looking at plays where we (officials) make mistakes and figure out how or why it should have been handled differently.

I have also learned from my own personal experiences not to call travels when I don't see the ball thru the entire sequence. There is a point where the ball handler's back is completely turned to the Center official, therefore he would have no idea if there was a bobble or not during those two steps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SC Official Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:26pm

To me this wasn't even a "because it looked funny" travel. It didn't even enter my mind when I watched the play for the first time (I didn't know a travel was the call that preceded the T).

We all have bad ICs.

BillyMac Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:26pm

Bobbleheads ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037208)
... not to call travels when I don't see the ball thru the entire sequence. There is a point where the ball handler's back is completely turned to the Center official, therefore he would have no idea if there was a bobble or not during those two steps.

Good point, especially when the coach and fans see the ball being bobbled.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1