The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

With how competitive it is to move up in college I wonder if he lets his partner eat it so he gets a black eye.

I am popping my whistle and tell him the screen was legal thats why I passed on the contact and while I watch the players you can decide if you want to go IW and tell the coaches we kicked it. In so many sports we can pick up the flag. We fail to use IW call to help us avoid a big mistake. And I hate it.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I am popping my whistle and tell him the screen was legal thats why I passed on the contact and while I watch the players you can decide if you want to go IW and tell the coaches we kicked it. In so many sports we can pick up the flag. We fail to use IW call to help us avoid a big mistake. And I hate it.

Easier said than done. While I agree with your sentiment, to blaze a trail here could cost assignments. And that’s the real issue. Transformation of our mindset on the use of IW to correct obvious mistakes would need to come from the NBA and/or NCAA coordinator levels, and to date we really haven’t seen any movement in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 01:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
With how competitive it is to move up in college I wonder if he lets his partner eat it so he gets a black eye.

Your comment about letting him eat a bad call is way off base. Working the Atlantic 10 is near the top of the food chain. I live in the hometown of the ACC Alliance supervisor, the last ways to get ahead with him are by being a bad partner or reveling in the misfortunes/mistakes of others.

We do not get the blow our whistles after the fact and tell our partner his judgment was wrong on a foul call except for plays involving the restricted area. If the Center official wants to have an opinion about the screen he has to stay and officiate it instead of drifting down court and leaving his partner to officiate the ball and the screen by himself. Like I posted earlier, maybe the Trail doesn't blow his whistle if he sees that the Center is there to officiate the screen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 03:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

What. The. Hell.

So let me get this straight in my mind. You think partner made a bad call. You are going to blow your whistle and walk over to partner and tell partner it was a bad call. Then expect you partner to somehow "fix" said bad call by claiming an IW???

That will be an interesting locker room post game...
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 05:43pm
Administrator

I do not see any problem with the court coverage by the T and C and also this is the T's call 100% of the time. We can watch the tape and discuss whether or not the T made the correct call and I am sure that it will be discussed in the evaluation that he receives: With the questions that he will be asked is where was he looking and what did he see?

It was not a foul but a legal screen. That said, let he who has never screwed the pooch cast the first stone.

Let me everyone with two stories:

#1) I was in attendance at a men's MAC game about 20 years ago. I personally knew the MAC evaluator, who was sitting court side, I personally knew the MAC Supervisor who was sitting court side, and was sitting next to the past MAC Supervisor who was there to evaluate 2 of the 3 officials, as to whether they were to receive an invitation to the Big 10 try out camp. The game started and almost 90 seconds, which 3 team possessions, was played before all 3 officials realized that a major mistake had been made with the Shot Clock. There was a happy ending eventually, all 3 officials made it to the Big 10.

#2) Daryl H. Long, a long time member of this forum, and I were officiating a women's jr. college game at Owens Community College. OCC, at the time, played its men's and women's basketball games on a court at one end of a large multipurpose building with bleachers on only one side of the court. A folding chair was placed at the Division Line extended on the Side Line opposite the Table (and bleachers) about 10 feet off the Side Line. An extra game ball was placed on this chair in case an errant ball would go flying down to the other end of the building. We would grab the ball on the chair and resume the game while some one would retrieve the ball and place it on the chair. Sure enough about 90 seconds into the game the ball goes flying down to the other end and we grab the ball on the chair. We played the next 15 minutes or so with the ball on the chair before one of the players realized that we were playing with a men's ball. We screwed up!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio