The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Mechanics of Calling a Screen Near the Division Line

Might be hard to find, obscure network. Dayton @ Richmond, 1/25, NBC Sports Washington, 4:29 2nd.

Moving backcourt to frontcourt, D3 sets a screen in the backcourt near the center circle. R22, closely guarding the dribbler D0, doesn’t see it and slams into D3 at speed. T, who had been watching the transition dribble, appears to see the screen late, observes the massive collision, has to put air in the whistle for something like that of course, and calls an illegal screen on D3. But the screen was well set 3-4 steps before contact.

CI for sure, but here’s my discussion request. C was ahead of the play but looking over his shoulder he saw it develop. He definitely had an opinion on the play, but he didn’t go talk to T to give him any info. He flinched, almost as if he considered it. But the CI stood.

D head coach had a beef and ended up drinking some T for it.

Thought this would be a good “help?” play for discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 10:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

From your description it is unclear if the C had a whistle. For the C to have an opinion on the play he needs to have a whistle. If he didn't blow there nothing he should be doing nothing other than assuming his new position for the throw-in.

I'm going to pull up the game on Synergy when it is available. If there was a screen developing near the division line, the Center needs to stop and officiate the match-up. He would be the primary on a double whistle, but with no whistle we don't go to our partners giving our opinions on what should be called.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Jan 25, 2020 at 11:01pm.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
From your description it is unclear if the C had a whistle. For the C to have an opinion on the play he needs to have a whistle. If he didn't blow there nothing he should be doing nothing other than assuming his new position for the throw-in.

I'm going to pull up the game on Synergy when it is available. If there was a screen developing near the division line, the Center needs to stop and officiate the match-up. He would be the primary on a double whistle, but with no whistle we don't go to our partners giving our opinions on what should be called.

Fair enough. He didn’t have a whistle. He probably wishes he had in retrospect, but he didn’t. T’s whistle was almost immediate, probably because of both his surprise and the force of the collision. So C didn’t get much of a chance to process the play. But I’ll bet he knew the call was wrong a split second later. Half the offense and the whole bench sure did.

You know in football information causes flags to get picked up once in a while. I sometimes wish that mentality were more prevalent in basketball (out of bounds calls notwithstanding).

Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Here you go...

https://imgur.com/a/muqxoXA
Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Fair enough. He didn’t have a whistle. He probably wishes he had in retrospect, but he didn’t. T’s whistle was almost immediate, probably because of both his surprise and the force of the collision. So C didn’t get much of a chance to process the play. But I’ll bet he knew the call was wrong a split second later. Half the offense and the whole bench sure did.

You know in football information causes flags to get picked up once in a while. I sometimes wish that mentality were more prevalent in basketball (out of bounds calls notwithstanding).

Perhaps he didn't have a whistle because there was no foul. Hard to uncall a partner's foul call or prevent them from calling one.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perhaps he didn't have a whistle because there was no foul. Hard to uncall a partner's foul call or prevent them from calling one.

With the benefit of hindsight, what’s your opinion? Push on R22 or incident contact?

Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 08:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Definitely not a foul, either offensively or defensively. Center saw the screen developing, so I wish he would have stayed and officiated the play instead of drifting away. Maybe if the Trail sees the Center is there on the play he doesn't put a whistle on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 08:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
With the benefit of hindsight, what’s your opinion? Push on R22 or incident contact?

I don't even need hindsight. First time I saw the play run through, my immediate thought was, that's not a foul.

Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I don't even need hindsight. First time I saw the play run through, my immediate thought was, that's not a foul.

This is why I hate when people training new officials say things like, “When a player goes down like that, there has to be a whistle.”

Old Sun Jan 26, 2020, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Incidental contact....on first viewing, not hindsight. The screen was legal by a long shot. The defender, not seeing it, ran into it and not through it....the screen did its job, play on.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2020, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I watched the game live on TV. I thought it was a play-on despite the hard contact involved. The screener gave the defender enough time and space to avoid the contract.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2020, 03:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Peace
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have a call if the screener goes down rather than the screen....(ee?) (ed?)?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Do you have a call if the screener goes down rather than the screen....(ee?) (ed?)?
Maybe, and maybe not. See 4-4-7
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Might be hard to find, obscure network. Dayton @ Richmond, 1/25, NBC Sports Washington, 4:29 2nd.

Moving backcourt to frontcourt, D3 sets a screen in the backcourt near the center circle. R22, closely guarding the dribbler D0, doesn’t see it and slams into D3 at speed. T, who had been watching the transition dribble, appears to see the screen late, observes the massive collision, has to put air in the whistle for something like that of course, and calls an illegal screen on D3. But the screen was well set 3-4 steps before contact.

CI for sure, but here’s my discussion request. C was ahead of the play but looking over his shoulder he saw it develop. He definitely had an opinion on the play, but he didn’t go talk to T to give him any info. He flinched, almost as if he considered it. But the CI stood.

D head coach had a beef and ended up drinking some T for it.

Thought this would be a good “help?” play for discussion.

So let's discuss this: Assume the Trail Official, seeing the clear-out, narrows his angle of vision too much on the dribbler/defender that he doesn't see the legality of the screen, if at all. The resulting collision catches him off guard and he instantly blows the whistle and assumes/guesses the screen was illegal and makes the call. I would like to know from members, if you were in that situation and realizing you may have kicked that call, would instead confer with the Center and ask how he saw it? And, upon confirmation with the C that the screen was legal, resort to an IW and resume play with a throw in for the team that had the ball. Or, just stay and live with your call.