The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2020, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Coach in dressing room.......

Anyone see this video posted to Offsides?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...93993880891641
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Thoughts:

1. Someone’s athletic administration security protocols need a review.

2. I wasn’t even there and the dude already lost me when he brought up the foul count. Seriously, can’t these coaches ever come up with something more original?

3. I suspect this coach won’t be doing much more coaching this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

I love how people in the Facebook group are like “Coaches aren’t allowed in the dressing room in my area.”

Well Sherlock, I’d wager that most places have that as a policy, and since when can’t policies be broken if some arseclown really wants to?

SMDH
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will say this bluntly and publicly.

If a coach comes into my locker room, all bets are off. I do not know why you are there or what your real intentions are. I am going to make this very uncomfortable for him and make as much of a scene as I can. I am not pulling punches or trying to keep some level of professionalism I keep hearing others talk about. For one, you could be coming with violent intentions and I am not just going to sit back and take an ass whooping because we have to act professionally. You have crossed a line and whatever happens at this point is going to happen. I am certainly not going to initiate anything, but I am not going to be OK with you in my personal space as I would not if my family was around or if you are on my property.

People like this do this because they think we are going to just be nice about it. I will not be nice about it in this situation and often we are in very closed spaces as well. I would have been more adamant and talked about him like I was playing the dozens back in the day and called him everything I could think of and talked about his coaching and anything else I could come up with. Ya'll do what you wish, that would not have been me in that video.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's Not Opportunity Knocking ...

Back in ancient times, as a young junior varsity official, after observing the varsity game, the two varsity officials and I went to the dressing room. After a polite knock on the door, and a polite request by the winning coach to come in, he was allowed to enter. Most of what happened next is just a blur, but what started out as, "Nice game guys", quickly escalated into a near fist fight, with one of the varsity officials and myself just barely keeping the other varsity official and the coach from killing each other.

Bo Schembechler (University of Michigan football coach), and my parents, said, "Nothing good ever happens after midnight".

I say, "Nothing good ever happens when a coach (even the winning coach) comes into the officials locker room".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I get a broken link message for the video.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will say this bluntly and publicly.

If a coach comes into my locker room, all bets are off. I do not know why you are there or what your real intentions are. I am going to make this very uncomfortable for him and make as much of a scene as I can. I am not pulling punches or trying to keep some level of professionalism I keep hearing others talk about. For one, you could be coming with violent intentions and I am not just going to sit back and take an ass whooping because we have to act professionally. You have crossed a line and whatever happens at this point is going to happen. I am certainly not going to initiate anything, but I am not going to be OK with you in my personal space as I would not if my family was around or if you are on my property.

People like this do this because they think we are going to just be nice about it. I will not be nice about it in this situation and often we are in very closed spaces as well. I would have been more adamant and talked about him like I was playing the dozens back in the day and called him everything I could think of and talked about his coaching and anything else I could come up with. Ya'll do what you wish, that would not have been me in that video.

Peace
Yep. These guys were way nicer than I would have been.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 08:31am
Courageous When Prudent

That dude didn't have enough weight to be stepping into my dressing room...LOL
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVBlue View Post
I get a broken link message for the video.
Me too. Any other link or way to see it?
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately there are holier-than-thou officials that believe we are just supposed to stand there and "take it." If we stand up for ourselves it's somehow our fault.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 09:02pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Anyone see this video posted to Offsides?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...93993880891641
The video is 404-compliant (i.e. not available) at the time I'm composing this.

In my statistician days, one of my coaching buddies thought it would be a good idea to confront the officials in their locker room post-game to express his opinions on calls with he disagreed.

Long story short, he ended up with a two-game suspension and the team lost both those games -- costing it a potential shot at the league title.

Upon his reinstatement, he admitted it was a stupid thing to do and the two losses drove home the point that he couldn't do anything like that ever again. On the plus side, he made good on changing his attitude towards officials; for the remaining 4-5 years I did stats for him before taking up officiating, he only received one technical foul for unsporting conduct.

But yeah, coaches confronting officials in the locker room isn't a good thing. Officials need to file the appropriate incident report with the state (or appropriate person/entity) and inform the assigner when that happens.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Absent the video, would someone please summarize what happened?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 09:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Absent the video, would someone please summarize what happened?
The coach of a losing team is videoed in the locker room berating the officials about the job he thinks they did, which was not very good. And is ranting about how if they see the video they would somehow agree with him. And he is there being held back by some guy that is hard to tell if he is a security or a fellow administrator. You hear some response in the background by one of the officials (maybe the person making the video) to some of the things he is saying. But overall the coach was being an ass and it was shown on video his behavior to be in the official's space.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 01:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Is that even a locker room? Looks like a faculty room or something and there are multiple people in there. That's not good...
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 04:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back in ancient times, as a young junior varsity official, after observing the varsity game, the two varsity officials and I went to the dressing room. After a polite knock on the door, and a polite request by the winning coach to come in, he was allowed to enter. Most of what happened next is just a blur, but what started out as, "Nice game guys", quickly escalated into a near fist fight, with one of the varsity officials and myself just barely keeping the other varsity official and the coach from killing each other.

Bo Schembechler (University of Michigan football coach), and my parents, said, "Nothing good ever happens after midnight".

I say, "Nothing good ever happens when a coach (even the winning coach) comes into the officials locker room".

Especially if you feed it after midnight.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I wonder who will understand.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio