The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I am in my first year of officiating and about ready to don the knickers for the first time this weekend. Any advice? Even the most basic advice will be appreciated (e.g., what do you put on first, knickers or socks; how high do you wear them; do you wear anything in particular under the knickers or socks, etc...).
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

First of all- Good Luck!

To start, when I pack my bag here is what I do to make sure that I don't forget anything. I lay it all out on my bed. Socks (football & athletic one that I wear under the FB ones, Knickers, Mcdaniels compression shorts, T Shirt, Ref shirt, belt, hat and shoes. I then make sure that I have my other ref items (flags, cards, bean bags, down markers, etc)
I keep these in their own dope kit for travel. Towel(s) and dope kit. This helps to make

Now to answer the questions, I put on my socks first then the knickers. I then fold the socks over the bottom of the knickers. I wear then 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up my leg.
Ask some of your partners to see if they have other ideas.

The most important thing it to have fun.

Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

What do you wear under the knickers? I saw you listed compression shorts. I assume those are like spandex. Are they white???
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, like spandex and dang sure better be white (or as close as your wife can get them to white after you have worn them a few times). If they are thick enough they will cover the shirt tail which you tcuk insode them. That way your stripes do not show through your pants. Gives you a much neater appearance.

Depending on your dressing room, you might want to have a towel handy so you can put it on the bench or chair you are sitting on to keep your pants clean since many of those places are rusty/dirty/etc.

I wear a second pair of socks (anklets) under the striped socks but that is because two pairs of socks semme to make the shoes fit tighter and prevents blisters.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

The best way to put on the knickers is first put on your socks. The pull the knickers up all the way. Then drop the knickers to the floor. Then take the top of the socks and fold it over the elastic bottom of the knicker. Then pull the knickers all the way up.

If you did it correctly you will not see elastic from either the socks or knickers and the knickers will blouse out perfectly right over the socks.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think you get the idea on knickers and how to start. Here is some inside info, get comfortable!! I start by putting on compression shorts, I prefer under armour or mcdavid, both are comfortable and on a hot night and that is important. I wear sock liners under my football socks, why you ask? "Moisture Transportation", they wick the mositure from my feet and I feel much more comfortable. Themn knickers and belt. For an undershrit I suggest, black, I wear under armour, heat gear, why?? "Moisture Transportation", wicking is the key to comfort. Next the stripes, then polished shoes, followed by the new mesh hat,(Like the pros wear), our crew went to them this year and after the first week I am a believer. Of course the cost of being comfortable isn't cheap but it will pay for itself on a hot night.

Good luck adn Have fun!!
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm a big fan of the mesh hats -- I wore one in baseball this season and bought two (one black w/stripes, one white) for football. I also bought two traditional hats and haven't worn them.

Make sure you have all your little things -- here is my checklist:

First, the uniform. Undershirt (I wear a black McDavid), striped shirt, white compression shorts, socks, shoes, hats.

Then, the essentials in the ditty bag:

whistles and lanyards (I carry more than one and keep a backup in my back pocket)
down indicator
watch w/countdown timer
flags (personally, I carry a ball flag in my belt and a small flat one buried in my right back pocket)
beanbags (one in the belt, one in the right front pocket)
game cards (paper or plastic)
bullet pencils
linesman's clip

I also carry shower stuff and towels for varsity games.

Remember to have fun.

Rich

Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
everyone hit it on the head. Black under shirt (I use underarmor) and white compression shorts (I use Bike brand) tuck the stripes into the compression shorts. Nothing looks tackier than seeing stripes thru the knickers (and you will see it, especially from some old timers)..
A few people around here have tried black compression shorts and said it looks good but the leader in that is our one and only female official. She has the back side to make that look good. Most of the rest of use probably don't. :-)

I use a gym back that has 3 side compartments. one that runs down one side of the long side of the bag and then 2 on each of the ends. I keep whistles, flags, bean bags, etc in those 2, and shower stuff in the long side one. Once the game is over I put all that stuff back in the bag so I never have to check for those before the next game. I then load the main part of my bag from feet up. Shoes, socks (1 football and 1 regular),compression shorts, Knickers, underarmor shirt, stripes, hats (in a hat carrier).
Depending on your white hat you can either shine the shoes right before you hit the field or the night before. Some live and die by the rule you do not shine your shoes at the game site. Live and learn on that one. For so shine I use Kiwi Ultra shine in a bottle and just let set to dry.. Brush off dust and dirt first tho and do all of this away from the rest of your uniform less you drip on those white knickers black shoe polish. Seen someone do this one time.. Not a good thing.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Sep 12th, 2003 at 02:30 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Had a old timer show me a trick. Socks first, then put the knickers all the way on then pull them to the floor. line up the bottoms of the legs about a half an inch below the top of the socks, fold the socks over and then tape them with a couple of wraps of athletic tape. I haven't had any problems with my pants since I started doing this.

On tights, I have black compression shorts, but my knickers are the heavy weight ones out of Honigs and you can't see through them. On my old pair, I had to wear white.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I also take along a garbage bag. This way if my shoes and anything else is very wet or muddy then I don't get the inside of my bag or anything else in there muddy.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Cool

the big trash bag is good for your muddy stuff if you ever get a game in a "mud bowl". I remember showering with my gear on to
rinse off some of the mud.
If you live in a cold weather area, pack plenty of warm gear--
gloves, ear covering, thermal underwear. Being cold is not fun !
I always bring an extra of everything. If someone forgets
socks, or whatever, they can wear yours if size is OK.
I even pack a needle and thread in my Honig "ditty bag",
along with ace bandages, scissors, and tape.
As they say in the Boy Scouts, "be prepared" !!
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

What about socks. I have heard that the one-piece nylon socks can get uncomfortable. Do you guys wear anything under them??
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I always wear regular long socks under them, sometimes 2 pair in the cold and wet.

One referee around here wears knee-high panty hose under his socks and knickers... I won't tell who. He claims it's MUCH more comfortable.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone. Your advice is appreciated and will be very helpful.