The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

No clock/no count

What do you do if after a time out A1rolls the ball towards the division line and no one touches it but the ball stops rolling? There is no ten second count because the ball has not been touched and the clock has not started because the ball has not been touched.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Night Long (All Night) (Lionel Richie, 1983) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cast View Post
What do you do if after a time out A1 rolls the ball towards the division line and no one touches it but the ball stops rolling?
Wait until a player (other than the inbounder) touches the ball, chop in the time, and start the ten second count if the offense controls (not just touches) the ball first.

Now if you're asking what happens in the theoretical situation where nobody ever touches the ball, you could be there all night long, and we don't get paid by the hour?

There is a penalty for both teams if this occurs:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 10, 2020 at 01:05pm.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you do if after a time out A1rolls the ball towards the division line and no one touches it but the ball stops rolling? There is no ten second count because the ball has not been touched and the clock has not started because the ball has not been touched.
Did this happen to you? I can't see where no one is going to be guarding or going after a loose ball.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Play Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... what happens in the theoretical situation where nobody ever touches the ball, you could be there all night long ...
Although it doesn't exactly apply to this situation, back in ancient times, we could implore one team (the team behind, or the team on defense if the game was tied) to, "Play ball", and charge them with a technical foul if they didn't comply, but that was then, and this is now.

Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

es it happened to me, lower level Middle school game. The defense set up in a zone defense and just stood there. The offense just stood there waiting for someone to put pressure on them, no one moved, so we all just stood there. I and my partner shrugged at each other...now what do we do? In about 15 seconds the defense did move towards the ball and the offense did pick it up. But after the game my partner and I asked what would we have done if no one picked it up.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
es it happened to me, lower level Middle school game. The defense set up in a zone defense and just stood there. The offense just stood there waiting for someone to put pressure on them, no one moved, so we all just stood there. I and my partner shrugged at each other...now what do we do? In about 15 seconds the defense did move towards the ball and the offense did pick it up. But after the game my partner and I asked what would we have done if no one picked it up.

The coaches have both agreed to shorten the game per 5-5-3.

While there's no specific guidance on how to handle it, I'd blow the whistle, ask each coach how long s/he wants to let this play go on, and subtract the smallest answer form the remaining time. Readminister the throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The coaches have both agreed to shorten the game per 5-5-3.

While there's no specific guidance on how to handle it, I'd blow the whistle, ask each coach how long s/he wants to let this play go on, and subtract the smallest answer form the remaining time. Readminister the throw-in.
Man Bob that is a great idea!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Could you have applied 2-3 (ruling on points not specifically covered) and 10-2-1 to call a double T for allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest?

It's not double secret probation, but it would get both the attention of both teams.

There are always bizarre situations that simply cannot be anticipated under the rules, thus requiring some creativity.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Someone will touch it soon enough.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 03:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There is always the advertent, inadvertent whistle.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There is always the advertent, inadvertent whistle.
And then what? repeat the whole thing again?

After some time with it setting there, I would be inclined to stop the game and ask both teams if they just want to end the game since neither team seems to want to play.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 12, 2020 at 01:02am.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2020, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Someone will touch it soon enough.

Yup. Right about the time when that unusually boisterous hot mom in the stands screams at her kid to “just go get it!”

Parents of middle schoolers have ways of affecting games when coaches choose not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Had a parent of a ninth grade player in a game tell her daughter who was on the floor after competing for a loose ball that was going the other way and just sitting there to "get your butt up and run to the ball!" It was audibly apparent to all spectators. Maybe a bit embarrassing to the child-player, but she got up and ran---despite her own coach not imploring her to do so.