The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No clock/no count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104909-no-clock-no-count.html)

Jim Cast Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:34pm

No clock/no count

What do you do if after a time out A1rolls the ball towards the division line and no one touches it but the ball stops rolling? There is no ten second count because the ball has not been touched and the clock has not started because the ball has not been touched.

BillyMac Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:47pm

All Night Long (All Night) (Lionel Richie, 1983) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cast (Post 1036642)
What do you do if after a time out A1 rolls the ball towards the division line and no one touches it but the ball stops rolling?

Wait until a player (other than the inbounder) touches the ball, chop in the time, and start the ten second count if the offense controls (not just touches) the ball first.

Now if you're asking what happens in the theoretical situation where nobody ever touches the ball, you could be there all night long, and we don't get paid by the hour?

There is a penalty for both teams if this occurs:

https://tse3.explicit.bing.net/th?id...=0&w=318&h=180

BigT Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57pm

Quote:

What do you do if after a time out A1rolls the ball towards the division line and no one touches it but the ball stops rolling? There is no ten second count because the ball has not been touched and the clock has not started because the ball has not been touched.

Did this happen to you? I can't see where no one is going to be guarding or going after a loose ball.

BillyMac Fri Jan 10, 2020 01:16pm

Play Ball ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1036645)
... what happens in the theoretical situation where nobody ever touches the ball, you could be there all night long ...

Although it doesn't exactly apply to this situation, back in ancient times, we could implore one team (the team behind, or the team on defense if the game was tied) to, "Play ball", and charge them with a technical foul if they didn't comply, but that was then, and this is now.

Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

Jim Cast Fri Jan 10, 2020 01:20pm

es it happened to me, lower level Middle school game. The defense set up in a zone defense and just stood there. The offense just stood there waiting for someone to put pressure on them, no one moved, so we all just stood there. I and my partner shrugged at each other...now what do we do? In about 15 seconds the defense did move towards the ball and the offense did pick it up. But after the game my partner and I asked what would we have done if no one picked it up.

Jim Cast Fri Jan 10, 2020 01:22pm

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 10, 2020 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cast (Post 1036652)
es it happened to me, lower level Middle school game. The defense set up in a zone defense and just stood there. The offense just stood there waiting for someone to put pressure on them, no one moved, so we all just stood there. I and my partner shrugged at each other...now what do we do? In about 15 seconds the defense did move towards the ball and the offense did pick it up. But after the game my partner and I asked what would we have done if no one picked it up.

The coaches have both agreed to shorten the game per 5-5-3.

While there's no specific guidance on how to handle it, I'd blow the whistle, ask each coach how long s/he wants to let this play go on, and subtract the smallest answer form the remaining time. Readminister the throw-in.

BigT Fri Jan 10, 2020 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1036655)
The coaches have both agreed to shorten the game per 5-5-3.

While there's no specific guidance on how to handle it, I'd blow the whistle, ask each coach how long s/he wants to let this play go on, and subtract the smallest answer form the remaining time. Readminister the throw-in.

Man Bob that is a great idea!

LRZ Fri Jan 10, 2020 02:10pm

Could you have applied 2-3 (ruling on points not specifically covered) and 10-2-1 to call a double T for allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest?

It's not double secret probation, but it would get both the attention of both teams.

There are always bizarre situations that simply cannot be anticipated under the rules, thus requiring some creativity.

Raymond Fri Jan 10, 2020 03:20pm

Quote:

Someone will touch it soon enough.

Raymond Fri Jan 10, 2020 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cast (Post 1036652)

There is always the advertent, inadvertent whistle.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 10, 2020 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1036664)
There is always the advertent, inadvertent whistle.

And then what? repeat the whole thing again?

After some time with it setting there, I would be inclined to stop the game and ask both teams if they just want to end the game since neither team seems to want to play.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1036663)
Someone will touch it soon enough.

Yup. Right about the time when that unusually boisterous hot mom in the stands screams at her kid to “just go get it!”

Parents of middle schoolers have ways of affecting games when coaches choose not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kansas Ref Mon Jan 13, 2020 03:51pm

Had a parent of a ninth grade player in a game tell her daughter who was on the floor after competing for a loose ball that was going the other way and just sitting there to "get your butt up and run to the ball!" It was audibly apparent to all spectators. Maybe a bit embarrassing to the child-player, but she got up and ran---despite her own coach not imploring her to do so.