The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Flop

Where in the rulebook does it say anything about a flop situation.
Is it located under contact?
What is the signal?
What is the foul?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Where in the rulebook does it say anything about a flop situation.

Is it located under contact?

What is the signal?

What is the foul?

You will not find the word “flop” in the rule book. It is fan-speak and announcer-speak (though most officials would admit to informally using the term often as a descriptor).

There is no signal, mainly because 99.99% of the time there is no call to signal. Likewise, there is no special information signal for “I have a flop on that no-call.”

The foul, if there were to be one, would be a player technical for faking being fouled. I’ve never seen this called at either the HS or NCAA level. I think the NBA tried to crack down on flopping a few years back and maybe issued a few Ts (they certainly issued some fines), but I’m not sure this is as much under the microscope lately.

Mostly, I chuckle mockingly at floppers, make no call, and we play on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I *think* NCAAM now has it as one of the (now) 5 "delay warnings."

Many in FED, NCAAW, and previously in NCAAM use the informal "get up" signal to show that they saw the play, but judged not foul.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 12:29am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Y

The foul, if there were to be one, would be a player technical for faking being fouled. I’ve never seen this called at either the HS or NCAA level.

You are not watching enough NCAAM basketball this season. Although it isn't a player technical, but rather a class B technical, and without going through the whole rule doesn't necessarily cause a technical foul on the first occurrence.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 04:05am
This IS My Social Life

NFHS Player Technical 10-4-6f, "Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to , acts or conduct such as . . . faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled."

A good article on the topic appeared in Referee magazine several months ago which was repeated in the Referee Preseason Prep publication.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jan 01, 2020 at 11:39am.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 05:42am
This IS My Social Life

Article on the Topic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HlO...w?usp=drivesdk
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Speak of the devil...this just in:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...Hfc?li=BBnb7Kz

Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 10:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You will not find the word “flop” in the rule book. It is fan-speak and announcer-speak (though most officials would admit to informally using the term often as a descriptor).

There is no signal, mainly because 99.99% of the time there is no call to signal. Likewise, there is no special information signal for “I have a flop on that no-call.”

The foul, if there were to be one, would be a player technical for faking being fouled. I’ve never seen this called at either the HS or NCAA level. ...

That would not be an accurate statement.

NCAA-M 4-10-1.c

4. Faking being fouled (flopping) on block/charge plays or attempted tries for goal or using any other tactics such as a "head bob" which might lead an official to believe that a foul has been committed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That would not be an accurate statement.

NCAA-M 4-10-1.c

4. Faking being fouled (flopping) on block/charge plays or attempted tries for goal or using any other tactics such as a "head bob" which might lead an official to believe that a foul has been committed.

Good reference. I presumed NFHS rules in my response but have not read the NCAA book in a few years.

I wonder if the NFHS committee will ever follow suit.

Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I hope they do, and that the NBA also follows suit. The flopping is getting ridiculous. I had to warn players last year to tell them to stop, and I hope that a flop warning gets officially adopted.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 02:56pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I hope they do, and that the NBA also follows suit. The flopping is getting ridiculous. I had to warn players last year to tell them to stop, and I hope that a flop warning gets officially adopted.
If you want them to stop faking being fouled, enforcing rule 10-4-6f would work. In fact, it worked all three times it was called in the United States last season. Why wouldn't you want to just do that rather than add something new? Jus' curious.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

When I suggested to enforce the rule as written, partners have questioned me about whether it is advisable to do so. I don't care. If I see it again, T.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
...I hope that a flop warning gets officially adopted.

It was speculated earlier that the NCAA includes this as a DOG warning. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I would LOVE to see this added as a DOG warning in NFHS. I think that’s a great idea. Right now there’s nothing between “nothing” and “T,” which is why officials are reluctant to go straight to the T.

Remember when swinging elbows short of contact was a T that nobody ever called? They changed it to a violation and than at least it got called once in a while. Good change. Let’s do something similar with “faking being fouled.” It delays the game because you have to address it, so you get one warning and then after that the penalty is unpalatable enough that the players will likely knock it off.

Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And The Academy Award For Best Actor Goes To ...

The problem with high school players is that they not as savvy, aren't as good actors, and are more timid, compared to college players.

When a high school player sets up to "take a charge" it's very difficult for an official to differentiate between a great acting performance and a kid who's afraid to take the full brunt of the charge and begins to fall backwards, not to fake a foul, but thinking that falling backward will somehow lessen the pain.

Same thing with high school shooters. High school shooters are concentrating on trying to draw contact and/or trying to make the shot. They're not savvy enough to concentrate on a third thing, faking being fouled, the best that they can usually come up with is to complain if officials don't call the foul.

Forty years. Never called a technical foul for faking a foul. Never observed a technical foul for faking a foul. Made a few comments (warnings). Heard a few comments (warnings). But that was the total extent of these situations. It's been several years since I even thought that a high school player was faking being fouled.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 01, 2020 at 07:12pm.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was speculated earlier that the NCAA includes this as a DOG warning. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I would LOVE to see this added as a DOG warning in NFHS. I think that’s a great idea. Right now there’s nothing between “nothing” and “T,” which is why officials are reluctant to go straight to the T.

Remember when swinging elbows short of contact was a T that nobody ever called? They changed it to a violation and than at least it got called once in a while. Good change. Let’s do something similar with “faking being fouled.” It delays the game because you have to address it, so you get one warning and then after that the penalty is unpalatable enough that the players will likely knock it off.

Faking being fouled IS a delay of game warning in NCAA men's rules.