The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Travel?

I know the rule that while holding the ball, you cannot touch the floor with any body part other than hand or foot. A1 gained control of the ball while flat on his back. I made sure he did not roll over or try to get up (knowing he could sit up then pass).

He did pass, then I heard the coach complain that he travelled because his shoulder blades touched the floor. He was flat on his back, with his shoulder blades maybe an inch off the floor. I guess while bringing the ball back to pass, his shoulder blades touched the floor. Is travelling the correct ruling?
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shoulder Blades Touching The Floor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I know the rule that while holding the ball, you cannot touch the floor with any body part other than hand or foot. A1 gained control of the ball while flat on his back. I made sure he did not roll over or try to get up (knowing he could sit up then pass). He did pass, then I heard the coach complain that he traveled because his shoulder blades touched the floor. He was flat on his back, with his shoulder blades maybe an inch off the floor. I guess while bringing the ball back to pass, his shoulder blades touched the floor. Is travelling the correct ruling?
No.

"Shoulder blades touching the floor" is a wrestling rule, not a basketball rule for a players who are already flat on their back on the floor.

"Attempting to get up or roll over" can be a subjective call.

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball ... A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up, or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his, or her, back, that player may sit up without violating.

4-44-5: A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body
other than hand or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other
than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 21, 2019 at 11:30am.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Take a look at 4-44-5b:

A player holding the ball:

b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

Nothing about other body parts touching the floor, unlike 4-44-5a. Thigh? Shoulder? Calf? Rump? Nope. The only restriction is the player may not attempt to get up or stand.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
He did pass, then I heard the coach complain that he travelled because his shoulder blades touched the floor.

90% of the travels that coaches want called aren’t actually travels.

Trust your rules knowledge. You were right all along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk