The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Travel???

A cutter in the lane receives a pass with one foot on the floor, this makes it his pivot foot, correct? He then takes two steps, the second one being his original pivot foot. Never dribbling the ball. Travel, correct? Had a coach pretty much lose it the other night. Is he correct or watching too much NBA?

Pfan
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

that is a travel.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 03:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach needs to stop thinking "two steps."
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not About Steps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Coach needs to stop thinking "two steps."
Agree. Think in terms of, by rule, moving the pivot foot within, or beyond, the prescribed limitations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:04pm
Stubborn Member

You aren't that specific in your post, so I have to bring this up...

Once a player picks up his/her pivot foot, they can not put the foot back down on the floor nor start a dribble. But, a player can pick up the pivot foot and then shoot or pass the ball, provided he/she didn't put that pivot foot down beforehand.

Forget the NBA unless you officiate it. Their mechanics and rules are different. In this case, an NBA player is allowed that extra step. Meaning they can pick up their pivot foot and put it back down on the floor (not sure they can start a dribble after picking up the pivot foot, though).
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Once a player picks up his/her pivot foot, they can not put the foot back down on the floor nor start a dribble. But, a player can pick up the pivot foot and then shoot or pass the ball, provided he/she didn't put that pivot foot down beforehand.

Forget the NBA unless you officiate it. Their mechanics and rules are different. In this case, an NBA player is allowed that extra step. Meaning they can pick up their pivot foot and put it back down on the floor (not sure they can start a dribble after picking up the pivot foot, though).
An NBA player is never allowed by rule to pick up their pivot foot and put it back on the floor. The manner in which is pivot foot is determined means different plays are legal under NBA rules and not so under NFHS/NCAA, but a player is still never able to pick up his pivot foot and put it back down.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How can I be more specific? Cutter receives pass with right foot on the ground, steps with his left, then his right, and attempts a lay up. Never putting the ball on the floor. IMO this is a travel.

I think a lot of officials do not call this, so most think it is legal. You probably have a few officials in your area that get more travels than others. What do you think?
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
How can I be more specific? Cutter receives pass with right foot on the ground, steps with his left, then his right, and attempts a lay up. Never putting the ball on the floor. IMO this is a travel.

I think a lot of officials do not call this, so most think it is legal. You probably have a few officials in your area that get more travels than others. What do you think?
I think the only potential question is whether that right foot came back down. Lots of players use a "step through" where they step, then step again with their pivot foot but shoot (or pass) before it touches the floor.

Some coaches go nuts on this when we don't call it, thinking that there mere lifting of the pivot is a travel. Others go nuts because officials call it when they shouldn't. I read your post to mean he put the pivot back down before shooting, but I can see how the OP could be read another way.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:25pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
An NBA player is never allowed by rule to pick up their pivot foot and put it back on the floor. The manner in which is pivot foot is determined means different plays are legal under NBA rules and not so under NFHS/NCAA, but a player is still never able to pick up his pivot foot and put it back down.
I don't like the NBA, so I should have shut my mouth. But I would have swore they said they can take one more step in the NBA. Whatever...thanks.

Quote:
How can I be more specific?
So by saying "step" you mean he picked it up and put it back down on the floor? Check out Adam's post, because he agrees that you weren't that specific. Heck, I just want to make sure.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Receives pass with right foot on the ground, then puts his left foot on the floor, then puts his right floor on the floor and jumps up for a lay up.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:41pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Receives pass with right foot on the ground, then puts his left foot on the floor, then puts his right floor on the floor and jumps up for a lay up.
I'm assuming you mean he caught the pass with his right foot on the ground, picked up the right foot, then the right foot back down on the floor before shooting a lay-up.

Travel
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean he caught the pass with his right foot on the ground, picked up the right foot, then the right foot back down on the floor before shooting a lay-up.

Travel
Do you think a lot of officials miss this since it happens so fast at times?
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 04:45pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Do you think a lot of officials miss this since it happens so fast at times?
absolutely. I'm probably in that group too. Sometimes you can't see that the right foot was down at the time of catching the pass, as he lifts it up too quickl afterwards.

That's one thing I love about officiating basketball... the challenge.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't like the NBA, so I should have shut my mouth. But I would have swore they said they can take one more step in the NBA. Whatever...thanks.
The NBA allows a player two steps after the ball has been gathered. If a player gathers or catches the ball with a foot on the floor, the first step will come when that next foot touches the floor. So in the situation provided in the thread:

Player gathers the ball with the right foot on the floor...the first step would be with the left foot, and the 2nd step would be with the right foot. The left foot would be the pivot in this play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 05:36pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The NBA allows a player two steps after the ball has been gathered. If a player gathers or catches the ball with a foot on the floor, the first step will come when that next foot touches the floor. So in the situation provided in the thread:

Player gathers the ball with the right foot on the floor...the first step would be with the left foot, and the 2nd step would be with the right foot. The left foot would be the pivot in this play.
Okay, that's what I thought. I just didn't describe it correctly.