The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
My original post was directly from the 2019-2020 test. I am surprised BillyMac did not comment on the OP
This post is just about the same. On the topic closer to the OP above. BV game following the JV game. W10 ends up the the ball in his hands on a made basket immediately as it falls through the basket. He drops it right where it was to avoid a DoG. His teammate, W33, is standing nearby and the ball hits the back of his foot as it is bouncing around. It rolls away out of bounds so Red has to chase it. Red's coach wanted a warning, but seeing as it was unintentional I didn't warn White..
Per the IAABO answer sheet. This is a Delay of Game warning. I assume because the ball IS NOT readily available for the RED team, makes it a DOG warning. Intentional or Unintentional are not factors
I agree with IAABO. According to earlier in this thread some other posters here do not. I simply look at whether the actions of the scoring team delayed the throw-in.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 11:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Iaabo ...

Quote:
My original post was directly from the 2019-2020 test. This post is just about the same. I am surprised BillyMac did not comment on the OP ... Per the IAABO answer sheet. This is a Delay of Game warning.
2019-20 Refresher Exam, or New Applicant Exam?

If the Refresher Exam, what number question, I can't find it on my Refresher Exam, looked twice?

"Just about the same"?

What's the exact wording (just curious)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 18, 2019 at 11:27am.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with IAABO. According to earlier in this thread some other posters here do not. I simply look at whether the actions of the scoring team delayed the throw-in.

You speak as though IAABO has a reputation as a paragon of excellence when it comes to writing exam questions...

...which made me laugh out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tap ...

Quote:
After the ball comes through the net following A-1’s successful try, A-2 unintentionally taps the ball preventing Team B from readily making a throw-in.
Maybe an unintentional "tap" isn't the same as an unintentional "hit with the ball on the head"?

Unintentional, or not, a "tap" sounds like a deliberate "act".

"Act" being part of the actual rule: 10-3 A player shall not: Delay the game by acts such as: Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play.

Maybe the tap by the player was intentional (getting the ball out of his way), but the delay of game by the player wasn't intentional (he had no intent to delay the game), even though it ended up delaying player from readily making the throwin?

Nice thread. Makes me think.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 18, 2019 at 02:06pm.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I am not issuing a DoG warning against a team that is otherwise doing what they are supposed to do and not intentionally delaying the game. That seems very "plumber" like to me. Don't go picking boogers.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 08:23am
This IS My Social Life

Whether this applies to the OP, you decide.
Around here we have two coaches, advocates of an immediate, crushing full-court press, who appear to have been teaching their players to merely touch the ball in some seemingly innocent manner to allow their players just a little more time to apply their pressing activities. It's really only a very scant delay that occurs, either briefly catching the ball then letting it drop, or barely tapping it, but it's enough to have an obvious negative effect upon the throw-in teams. Studying video on it reveals it as quite calculated and intentional. The crews that have caught on to the tactic and pregame it issue the 4-47 warning right away and that pretty much curbs the illegitimate practice the rest of the game. Those crews who are oblivious to the tool given in 4-47 or who don't look close enough to see and know what's going on, well . . .
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Freddy makes a great point. From time to time I see this and put two and two together. If I see it once, I take a mental note because maybe it was a coincidence. Second time, if I’m feeling generous I might let the coach (or captain if I can’t get to the coach) know that I’m on to him/her/them. If I can somehow communicate this to my partners as well, I will.

After that, I officially warn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nip It In The Bud ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... players to merely touch the ball in some seemingly innocent manner ... briefly catching the ball then letting it drop, or barely tapping it ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... once, I take a mental note because maybe it was a coincidence. Second time ... let the coach ... know ... After that, I officially warn.
"DON'T TOUCH THE BALL AFTER A BASKET".

Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The following acts have their own rule and their own penalty, regardless of the score and time remaining in the game: Knocking the ball out of A1’s hands (technical foul), and crossing the boundary line and fouling A1 (intentional personal foul), and also tack on a delay warning in the book for either."
Doesn't matter if player crosses the boundary line or not, it's an IF
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Let The Dogs Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Correct, the thread is about delay of game and there is no delay of game warning (or technical foul) for such an act. An inbounder who holds the ball over the boundary and is fouled is just an "ordinary" intentional foul.

Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
While you are correct, that is an awful rule/interpretation. The defensive player has a right to play a ball that is held across the line. They shouldn't be subject to an intentional foul for doing so.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Dec 19, 2019 at 06:31pm.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While you are correct, that is an awful rule/interpretation. The defensive player has a right to play a ball that is held across the line. They shouldn't be subject to an intentional foul for doing.
As you know, the correct foul when the defender contacted the thrower, but did not break the boundary plane used to be a common foul. However, several years ago either Mary Struckhoff or one of her officiating colleagues screwed this up during a game and rather than admit that it was handled incorrectly, she had the NFHS change the rule!
Old Thu Dec 26, 2019, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While you are correct, that is an awful rule/interpretation. The defensive player has a right to play a ball that is held across the line. They shouldn't be subject to an intentional foul for doing so.
I agree....kinda.

Defensive players do not get that right....just as inbounders get "extra" rights such as traveling and illegal dribbles rules not being in effect. Now, that last sentence is not where I agree with you, it is just a point about inbounders getting special treatment in more ways than one. Now, onto the part where there is some agreement. Take the case of an inbounder leaping entirely across the line and a defender merely brushing the arm of the inbounder before the inbounder releases the ball. This would be an IF and an explanation would be warranted for the entire gym as no one would understand/agree.