The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 09:10pm
Administrator

Correctable Error or Not?

Mark, Jr., and I attended a LOA meeting tonight and the following Play was presented to the group. I presented my Ruling below but the Ruling presented to the group was that B2's FG should not count because it was a CE, which was because the Officials should not have allowed Team B to have the Ball to make a Throw-in after A2's FG at Team B's Basket.

Play: The Players for both teams are lined up correctly for the Jump Ball to begin the game. A1 tips the Ball to A2 who is standing in Team A's Back Court. A2 immediately pivots toward Team B's Basket and dribbles toward Team B's Basket and Attempts a successful Two-Point FG at Team B's Basket. B1 then takes the Ball Out-of-Bounds, passes the Ball to B2 who then Attempts a successful Two-Point FG at Team B's Basket. A1 then takes the Ball Out-of-Bounds, passes the Ball to A2 who then dribbles the length of the Court and Attempts a successful Two-Point FG at Team A's Basket. Team A's HC immediately requests a Correctable Error TO. A-HC wants B2's FG negated because Team A should have received a Throw-in after A2 erroneously scored in Team B's Basket and not Team B.

(My) Ruling: The score is Team A: 2, and Team B: 4. Team A is charged with a TO because this was not a Correctable Error. NFHS R7-S6-A6 and Casebook Play 7.6.6.

NFHS R7-S6-A6: When an official administers a throw-in to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends.

Casebook Play 7.6.6 SITUATION: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1's disposal. B1 completes the throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be made for the mistake by the official after the throw-in ends.

What say you?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 12:35am. Reason: Added opening paragraph.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 12:38am
Administrator

Edited original comments.

I added a prequel paragraph to my original comment.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

5.2.3 fits the situation better. I agree with you ruling Team A 2, Team B 4. Officials should have stop game when A2 scores a basket into B's basket and emphasize each team's direction.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

There's also some case in Rule 10 to the effect that Team A scores, Team A inbounds the ball and scores again. Ruling: If it's accidental, it's a "do over" if it's intentional it's a T. A's second basket never counts.

BM will be along shortly to post the actual verbiage.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's also some case in Rule 10 to the effect that Team A scores, Team A inbounds the ball and scores again. Ruling: If it's accidental, it's a "do over" if it's intentional it's a T. A's second basket never counts.

BM will be along shortly to post the actual verbiage.
10.2.4 SITUATION:

Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1 inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A's basket.

RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with an unsporting technical foul; (b) assess a delay-of-game warning for interfering with the ball after a goal; (c) cancel the field goal; (d) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any non-flagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting; and (e) put "consumed" time back on the clock.

COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire procedure would be followed except no unsporting team technical foul would be charged. A team technical would be assessed if the team had received a previous delay warning. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which an official administers the throw-in and a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball. (4-47-3, 7-6-6, 10-2-1b)
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
5.2.3 fits the situation better.
5.2.3 SITUATION: A1 completes the throw-in to A2 to begin the second half. A2 is confused and dribbles toward the basket Team A used during the first half and dunks the ball into the basket of Team B. RULING: Legal goal. Two points are awarded to Team B. The ball is bounced to a player of Team A out of bounds at the basket of Team B. Team A may put the ball in play from anywhere along the end line as after any score by B (earned or awarded). (5-2-1; 7-5-7)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that this is not a correctable error. It is a mistake on the throwin, which, as the cited case plays indicate, can be fixed, but it is still not a correctable error.

By the time play was stopped to deal with it, it was too late to fix.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Correctable Error ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree that this is not a correctable error. It is a mistake on the throwin, which, as the cited case plays indicate, can be fixed, but it is still not a correctable error.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 01:42pm.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several
baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball into the opponent’s basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket. (4-5-4)

This is a bit different as officials allowed the jumpers to be in the wrong direction but I believe the ruling would apply. It is not CE.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

By the time play was stopped to deal with it, it was too late to fix.
"It's an error, and it's correctable, but it's not a Correctable Error."
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Not a CE and too late to fix anything.
MTD has the correct score and ruling.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
5.2.3 fits the situation better. I agree with you ruling Team A 2, Team B 4. Officials should have stop game when A2 scores a basket into B's basket and emphasize each team's direction.
The direction was already supposed to be emphasized by the Referee before the jump ball.

After the initial goal, crew should have just called a DOG on Team B, or maybe a T if Team A was, after realizing the mistake, trying to inbound the ball.

Ruling: The entire crew should should lose a whole bunch of future games.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
The direction was already supposed to be emphasized by the Referee before the jump ball.

After the initial goal, crew should have just called a DOG on Team B, or maybe a T if Team A was, after realizing the mistake, trying to inbound the ball.
I agree per the specific situation case. But in the moment, this might all happen faster than anyone is able to process. You know how fast the ball is often taken out after a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Ruling: The entire crew should should lose a whole bunch of future games.

No. Dude, that’s callous of you to say.

I would say that the LOA members who gave the incorrect ruling should send out a clarification email and then let MTD Sr. present the correct ruling at the next meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk