View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 09:10pm
Administrator

Correctable Error or Not?

Mark, Jr., and I attended a LOA meeting tonight and the following Play was presented to the group. I presented my Ruling below but the Ruling presented to the group was that B2's FG should not count because it was a CE, which was because the Officials should not have allowed Team B to have the Ball to make a Throw-in after A2's FG at Team B's Basket.

Play: The Players for both teams are lined up correctly for the Jump Ball to begin the game. A1 tips the Ball to A2 who is standing in Team A's Back Court. A2 immediately pivots toward Team B's Basket and dribbles toward Team B's Basket and Attempts a successful Two-Point FG at Team B's Basket. B1 then takes the Ball Out-of-Bounds, passes the Ball to B2 who then Attempts a successful Two-Point FG at Team B's Basket. A1 then takes the Ball Out-of-Bounds, passes the Ball to A2 who then dribbles the length of the Court and Attempts a successful Two-Point FG at Team A's Basket. Team A's HC immediately requests a Correctable Error TO. A-HC wants B2's FG negated because Team A should have received a Throw-in after A2 erroneously scored in Team B's Basket and not Team B.

(My) Ruling: The score is Team A: 2, and Team B: 4. Team A is charged with a TO because this was not a Correctable Error. NFHS R7-S6-A6 and Casebook Play 7.6.6.

NFHS R7-S6-A6: When an official administers a throw-in to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends.

Casebook Play 7.6.6 SITUATION: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1's disposal. B1 completes the throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be made for the mistake by the official after the throw-in ends.

What say you?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 12:35am. Reason: Added opening paragraph.