The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Rotation

Where does the calling official go after reporting the foul in NFHS rules for basketball
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 View Post
Where does the calling official go after reporting the foul in NFHS rules for basketball

Table side. Exception is when opposite new L or C calls a foul on the defense in the backcourt when going to front court. In that case, move to the reporting area and report, then go back opposite and remain/become the L, respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Table side. Exception is when opposite new L or C calls a foul on the defense in the backcourt when going to front court. In that case, move to the reporting area and report, then go back opposite and remain/become the L, respectively.

Unless you're doing games in Ohio, you go opposite now except for the "step-out".
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Unless you're doing games in Ohio, you go opposite now except for the "step-out".

A la NCCAM and IAABO mechanics?

Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAM at least wouldnt have a clue about IAABO
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
NCAAM at least wouldnt have a clue about IAABO

I’m pretty sure IAABO 3-p goes opposite. Actually even in 2-p they do this. Basically wherever IAABO has a chance to do something different than NFHS, they do it, in order to justify their existence and sell books.

Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the time. In MD and DE, IAABO boards go tableside, but otherwise follow standard IAABO mechanics (bouncing the ball up the sideline as Lead on throw-ins below the free throw line extended, not blowing the whistle on last second situations except to wave off a shot released late, etc.) as described in the IAABO mechanics manual

In Ohio, one goes opposite like NCAAM.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 07:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 View Post
NF says to go table side on fouls.

But to be clear, a rotation is a live ball movement during play. A switch (what you are actually asking about) is a dead ball movement with no play going on. So we switch during foul reporting, not rotate.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There also might be some exceptions to going table-side when calling a TC or PC foul, depending on the state and who (L,T,C) calls the foul.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 04:16am
This IS My Social Life

Michigan will be going "opposite table" this year, reverting back to the NFHS mechanic prior to 2006. Some modifications for 2-person whereby we won't be switching on every foul like IAABO.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Michigan will be going "opposite table" this year, reverting back to the NFHS mechanic prior to 2006. Some modifications for 2-person whereby we won't be switching on every foul like IAABO.

Curious. Did they provide a rationale? If so, was it a pendulum swing in the timeless “to communicate with the head coach or not to communicate with the head coach” debate?

Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Maybe Michigan is ahead of the curve in anticipating the changes in the next version of NFHS mechanics. I'm also curious about the change.

I second JRut on the use of proper terminology, and request that this thread be renamed to Switching. Rotation is a live-ball movement of the Lead official to ballside in a 3-person crew that causes the Trail and Center officials to change their positions. Switching is movement during a dead ball by the officials after one of them calls a foul or violation, resulting in the officials changing (or exchanging) positions.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Maybe Michigan is ahead of the curve in anticipating the changes in the next version of NFHS mechanics. I'm also curious about the change.
People have been saying for years that NFHS will revert to going opposite and it hasn't happened. When Ohio made the switch a couple years ago I believe someone on this forum was adamant that they were just getting ahead of the curve for when the NFHS made the change.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 10:42am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Curious. Did they provide a rationale?
This was the announcement that went out in the form of a recent weekly preseason MHSAA Officials' Bulletin:

MECHANICS
One new approved mechanic that will be included in the new
MHSAA Officials’ Manual, scheduled to be made available in about
2 weeks, will have officials going “Opposite Table” again beginning
this season. Some will consider this a new mechanic, but actually
we’re only reverting to the protocol as it was before it was changed
in approximately 2005.
This change is primarily designed for the three-person system,
though it will, to a lesser extent, apply to the two-system also. The
reasons are two-fold: Balance in play-calling responsibilities on the
court and to reduce the number of extended conversations
between coaches and officials that disrupt flow and take away the
concentration of the official.
To assist officials learning this new mechanic and for those
whose role it is to teach this mechanic to other officials, here is a
link to a downloadable PDF document that explains and illustrates
the most common details of the mechanic for both systems: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T2...55r67J_GCqwi8E

Rationale for that "Balance in play-calling responsibilities" had to do with this assessment: "The ruling official, most frequently the Lead, was too often simply becoming Trail and then Lead again on the subsequent trip back to the other end where he'd be the most likely official to make the next ruling there. The Lead was merely swapping back and forth and the Center official was, for an extended period of time during the flow of the game, subjected to an unnatural duration without the opportunity to make calls as were the other two."
Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

That makes sense if Lead and Trail have a higher frequency of calls than the Center official. Going tableside would make the Lead and Trail officials constantly switch on fouls, unless the tableside official was the Center, or a rotation causes Center opposite to become Trail opposite. These factors would conspire to keep C as C for some time. With opposite mechanics, the calling official becomes the Center opposite (unless the subsequent throwin is on the opposite side), with the opposite official going tableside. If L and T are usually tableside, this results in everybody being in every position more often than if the crew were to switch tableside.