The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

My crew have had a interesting time adapting to the new three man rotation involving calling official staying tableside. We purchased a book called "Working the Center" and read about certain situations and rotations. We had our director of officiating in the state; however, contradict the book to a degree. I would like to know if anyone has any guidelines and can answer my questions about this particular situation:
Team A is in the frontcourt attempting a shot at their goal and Team B secures the rebound and begins to dribble towards their frontcourt. While in their backcourt, Team B(Now offense) is fouled by Team A. The new Trail, which is tableside, makes the call for a common foul. Where will he rotate if no bonus free throws are awarded? Free throws awarded? If you could help, we would appreciate. Why change rotation if the NF will not issue an officals manual?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the state adoption of the mechanics. Most states, as well as college (and college guys correct me if I'm wrong), will report the foul, and return to being T, administering the throw-in. However, in PA, we long switch on all fouls in the backcourt, so the calling T now becomes the new L.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[
Team A is in the frontcourt attempting a shot at their goal and Team B secures the rebound and begins to dribble towards their frontcourt. While in their backcourt, Team B(Now offense) is fouled by Team A. The new Trail, which is tableside, makes the call for a common foul. Where will he rotate if no bonus free throws are awarded?

foul in backcourt going the other way, he will go back and throw the ball in as new trail where he was when the foul was called after reporting it....everyone else will slide down the court in same positions

Free throws awarded?

he will be trail table side during the free throws after reporting

If you could help, we would appreciate. Why change rotation if the NF will not issue an officals manual?

they only print books every two years, so next year it will have all the good stuff you need in it!!! money thing i guess
[/B]
Esteemed Participant

There won't be a rotation...since the T is table-side already, he will report the foul and then step back to handle the throw-in, or simply head up court and be T during the bonus free throws if those are required...
Official Forum Member

We would report the foul and return to the T position.

The Officials' Manual is only printed in odd numbered years. But they still make changes during even numbered years. The change will be in next year's book.

The change in the switching mechanic is not that difficult.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I can only comment what our state is doing. We do not long switch on any non-shooting foul. If we are shooting the bonus, then we go tableside (the same as NCAA from what I understand). Now that is what we do here in Illinois. They might do it differently in your area.

Peace