The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in NFHS

Team A scores a basket. Everybody but B1 & B2 run up the court. B1 in bounds the ball and runs up the court. B2 does not control the ball, but just puts out his/her hand and stops the pass. The ball falls to the floor and stops bouncing. B2 then bends down to tie their shoe.
When does the 10 second count start?
Is it different between NCAA and NFHS?
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in NFHS

Count starts as soon as the ball is legally touched. Team B has team control in this entire sequence. The rulebook states “A player must not be, not may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds” continuous team control in the backcourt would begin as soon as the ball is touched in the backcourt.

See 9-8 NFHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 02:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Team A scores a basket. Everybody but B1 & B2 run up the court. B1 in bounds the ball and runs up the court. B2 does not control the ball, but just puts out his/her hand and stops the pass. The ball falls to the floor and stops bouncing. B2 then bends down to tie their shoe.
When does the 10 second count start?
Is it different between NCAA and NFHS?
In NCAA-Men's, the shot clock and 10-second count begin when the ball is legally touched inbounds.

I have found no rule, case play, or past interp in the NFHS that would allow us to begin a 10-second count in your scenario.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Oct 24, 2019 at 02:59pm.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In NCAA-Men's, the shot clock and 10-second count begin when the ball is legally touched inbounds.

I have found no rule, case play, or past interp in the NFHS that would allow us to begin a 10-second count in your scenario.
Same for NCAAW
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodar View Post
Count starts as soon as the ball is legally touched. Team B has team control in this entire sequence. The rulebook states “A player must not be, not may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds” continuous team control in the backcourt would begin as soon as the ball is touched in the backcourt.

See 9-8 NFHS.

This is not true.

Team control during a throw-in (and the subsequent loose ball when the throw-in is legally touched but not controlled) is for foul purposes only. Team control for violation purposes (10 seconds, backcourt, 3 seconds) does not start until there is player control.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

See 9-8 NFHS.

Team Control on a throw in only applies to fouls committed by a player on the throw in team, not to violations such as 3 seconds or back court violations. The confusion based on 9-8 has been discussed here before. The ten second count does not begin until a player from Team B has gained control in the back court. A similar play to illustrate is Case Book 4.12.2.B
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in NFHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Team Control on a throw in only applies to fouls committed by a player on the throw in team, not to violations such as 3 seconds or back court violations. The confusion based on 9-8 has been discussed here before. The ten second count does not begin until a player from Team B has gained control in the back court. A similar play to illustrate is Case Book 4.12.2.B

My supporting argument to counter this would be that the throwing in team had team control and never lost it. Once the ball is touched by a teammate of the thrower in, the 10 second count begins due to team control in the back court. Same thing if a defender tipped the throw in pass. Team B is still in team control and the count will begin unless someone on Team A were to gain player control.

The only reason I brought up team control on the throw in was to illustrate that Team B had team control once the ball is legally touched in the backcourt, unless player control is gained by a member of team A.

Last edited by rwodar; Thu Oct 24, 2019 at 03:30pm.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Continuous Control ...

NFHS 9-8: A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

"Continuous control".

NFHS 4-12: CONTROL, PLAYER AND TEAM
ART. 1 A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or -
dribbling a live ball.
There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a
jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper,
or during an interrupted dribble.
ART. 2 A team is in control of the ball:
a. When a player of the team is in control.
b. While a live ball is being passed among teammates.

c. During an interrupted dribble.
d. When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in.
ART. 3 Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
ART. 4 While the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in
control of the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap
for goal.

Situation 10 is not the same as the original post but the language is quite clear, "continuous control".

2017-18 Interpretations
SITUATION 10: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her backcourt. The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball onto the court. A1’s pass to A2, who is also in Team A’s backcourt, takes several bounces and six seconds before A2 picks up and controls the ball. RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the 10-second rule specifically requires that a player/team be in continuous control in its backcourt for 10 seconds for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the backcourt. (4-35-2, 9-8)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 25, 2019 at 10:23am.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Backcourt Count ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
A similar play to illustrate is Case Book 4.12.2.B
Nice citation billyu2.

4.12.2 SITUATION B: During a throw-in by A-1 from the
end line by Team A’s basket: (a) A2 is in the restricted lane
area for four seconds of the throw-in count; or (b) the throw-in
is touched by A2 before it goes across the division line where
it is recovered by A3. RULING: Legal in (a) and (b), even
though Team A is in team control during the throw-in. There
is no three-second count in (a) since team control had not yet
been established in Team A’s frontcourt. There is no
backcourt violation in (b) since team control had not yet been
established in team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into
Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally
touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until
A3 gains control in his/her backcourt.
(9-7, 8, 9)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 9-8: A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

"Continuous control".

NFHS 4-12: CONTROL, PLAYER AND TEAM

ART. 1 A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or -

dribbling a live ball.
There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a

jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper,

or during an interrupted dribble.

ART. 2 A team is in control of the ball:

a. When a player of the team is in control.

b. While a live ball is being passed among teammates.

c. During an interrupted dribble.

d. When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in.

ART. 3 Team control continues until:

a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

b. An opponent secures control.

c. The ball becomes dead.

ART. 4 While the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in

control of the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap

for goal.

Situation 10 is not the same as the original post but the language is quite clear, "continuous control".

2017-18 Interpretations

SITUATION 10: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her backcourt. The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball onto the court. A1’s pass to A2, who is also in Team A’s backcourt, takes several bounces and six seconds before A2 picks up and controls the ball. RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the 10-second rule specifically requires that a player/team be in continuous control in its backcourt for 10 seconds for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the backcourt. (4-35-2, 9-8)

Maybe my original reply was poorly worded but I think we are on the same page here. The count begins when B2 touches the ball in this example.

Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is There Team Control On A Throwin ???

It depends.

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2017-18
2. Team control, throw-in. The relevance of team control during a throw-in only applies when a member of the throw- in team fouls. Such fouls shall be ruled team control fouls. Team control during a throw-in is NOT intended to be the same as player control/team control inbounds. Team control inbounds is established when a player from either team who has inbound status gains control of the ball. During the throw-in, 10-seconds, 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are NOT factors as there has yet to be player control/team control obtained inbounds.

Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Holds Or Dribbles A Live Ball Inbounds ...

Quote:
The count begins when B2 touches the ball in this example.
No it doesn't.

The ten second count begins when a player holds or dribbles a live ball inbounds.

Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I am having fun NOW

To add onto the original play.... The possession arrow is pointing towards Team A. The Trail Official sounds his/her whistle. Signals 10 second/Back court violation.
Now what do you do? Team B never established Team Control. Inadvertent Whistle from Trail Official.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No it doesn't.

The ten second count begins when a player holds or dribbles a live ball inbounds.

...If team A isn’t pressing team b can just touch the ball in bounds and sit in the backcourt as long as they’d like?

Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It depends.

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2017-18

2. Team control, throw-in. The relevance of team control during a throw-in only applies when a member of the throw- in team fouls. Such fouls shall be ruled team control fouls. Team control during a throw-in is NOT intended to be the same as player control/team control inbounds. Team control inbounds is established when a player from either team who has inbound status gains control of the ball. During the throw-in, 10-seconds, 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are NOT factors as there has yet to be player control/team control obtained inbounds.

This also doesn’t make sense. other than a field goal or free throw attempt There is NEVER a live ball situation where team control does not exist. If what you’re saying is true, that would mean if team B commits a foul while the ball is sitting there in the back court and team A were in the bonus, we would shoot free throws, which is NOT the case.