The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 20, 2019, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Anyone out there whose state has high school officials going "opposite table" after reporting?
Arizona goes opposite table in three person.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2019, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Jimmie, is your group an IAABO board? If so, then your group might be following standard IAABO mechanics. Do non-IAABO groups in Arizona also go opposite in 3-person? I'd really love to know.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2019, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I know we aren't IAABO. A decision was made at the state level for all 3-person mechanics calling official goes away from table. That is all that is taught at any AIA camps. AZ was mostly 2-person. Last year was first full season where there were options for 3-persons and all state tourney games were 3-person.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2019, 09:09pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
As far as I know we aren't IAABO. A decision was made at the state level for all 3-person mechanics calling official goes away from table. That is all that is taught at any AIA camps. AZ was mostly 2-person. Last year was first full season where there were options for 3-persons and all state tourney games were 3-person.
AZ is not an IAABO state. A prominent leader of that state explained to me that AZ is an NFHS state that broke from the code to go "opposite table".
Old Thu Jun 20, 2019, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. I asked, because I knew that there were at least 2 IAABO boards in AZ. Maybe the practice of the IAABO boards somehow informed the rest of the state.

Perhaps Gessner wants officials to go opposite the table to reduce confrontations. This is the reasoning why opposite the table became the norm in men's college. It could also be that Brian Gessner used to work men's college, and is importing what he is familiar with to the AIA.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2019, 07:58am
Courageous When Prudent

The mysteries of the universe shall be revealed in this thread.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2019, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The IAABO Galaxy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... there were at least 2 IAABO boards in AZ. Maybe the practice of the IAABO boards somehow informed the rest of the state.
From March/April 2019 IAABO Sportorials magazine:

IAABO Transplants Spread The IAABO Way To The Southwest

John McDonnell, Bd. 326, Arizona and Jeff Jewett, Bd. 71, Arizona, both IAABO Life Members formerly of Boards 6 CT and 20 ME, respectively, have migrated to the Southwest. John and Jeff have formed boards in Arizona and are spreading the IAABO “One Rule, One Interpretation” method of training and educating high school basketball officials.

All the way from New England to Arizona to fight for truth, justice, and the IAABO way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 21, 2019 at 10:55am.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2019, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From March/April 2019 IAABO Sportorials magazine:

IAABO Transplants Spread The IAABO Way To The Southwest

John McDonnell, Bd. 326, Arizona and Jeff Jewett, Bd. 71, Arizona, both IAABO Life Members formerly of Boards 6 CT and 20 ME, respectively, have migrated to the Southwest. John and Jeff have formed boards in Arizona and are spreading the IAABO “One Rule, One Interpretation” method of training and educating high school basketball officials.

All the way from New England to Arizona to fight for truth, justice, and the IAABO way.
John McDonnell evaluated under the previous state commissioner. The reasoning of going away is to avoid the confrontation as previously stated.

Last edited by Jimmie24; Fri Jun 21, 2019 at 11:41am. Reason: inability to spell
Old Fri Jun 21, 2019, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
John McDonnell evaluated under the previous state commissioner. The reasoning of going away is to avoid the confrontation as previously stated.
Before he retired to Arizona, John McDonnell was the Connecticut State IAABO Interpreter.

His day job was that of a middle school physical education teacher, and he used his superior teaching skills to be a really outstanding State Interpreter.

Before the days of Power Point, and easily accessible slow motion videos, he would teach with a deck of three by five index cards and grease markers with an overhead projector.

He truly believed that the IAABO way of "one rule, one interpretation, (one mechanic)" was the only way to officiate properly.

They say that three things are important in real estate: Location. Location. And location.

According to John McDonnell, three things are important in basketball officiating: Consistency. Consistency. And consistency.

Self-consistency. Consistency within the crew. Consistency from crew to crew.

Accurate rules knowledge. Proper interpretations. Uniform mechanics. Approved signals.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 22, 2019 at 10:53am.