The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advanced Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
2--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt. While dribbling, he places one foot on the division line, but the other foot and the ball remain in the frontcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Next question.

Does the hand have to be in contact with the ball for the backcourt violation to be called? What if the foot in on the division line while the ball is mid-dribble (not being touched by the ball handler at that second), and then the foot comes off the division line back into the frontcourt when the dribbler next touches the ball?

9-3-1-Note: A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds. The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

The citation above twice mentions out of bounds.

Boundary is mentioned once.

The division line is a boundary line, but it's not out of bounds.

The citation is 9-3-1-Note.

9-3 deals with Out Of Bounds.

9-9 deals with Backcourt.

I never check for the hand in contact with the ball when a dribbler touches the division line with his foot in this situation, I just sound my whistle for the backcourt violation and move on.

Is that technically and/or literally correct?

Or is it only correct by purpose and intent?

Or is it incorrect?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 12:32pm.
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why didn't you say so earlier?
The poster did when he indicated "dribbling"
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 05:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Does Anyone Refer To Grasshopper Any More ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Ah, young grasshopper, there are many parts to dribbling.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue May 14, 2019, 08:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
That would be the common sense assumption.

How many fans and inexperienced officials would think they have to explicitly state the ball returned to the player's hand?
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Untouchables ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How many fans and inexperienced officials would think they have to explicitly state the ball returned to the player's hand?
How many experienced officials would think they have to explicitly state the ball returned to the player's hand?

Not sure about the relevance of either of these questions, but bottom line, the ball does have to return to the hand, both on a written test, and in a real game, for this to be a violation.

Any official that calls this violation when the ball first touches the backcourt, without waiting for the next offensive touch, could be open for a little criticism, maybe not from most fans, or from inexperienced officials, but from experienced officials observing, or a few knowledgeable fans, or perhaps even a few knowledgeable coaches, especially if the ball takes an odd bounce and bounces a few feet away from the dribbler, untouched, into the backcourt.

Even little kids seem to know the rule. If one officiates little kids long enough, eventually one will observe a little kid, who in this situation, knows that they can't be the first to touch the ball, so they follow the ball closely, with both hands ready to grab the ball after an opponent barely touches it. This, of course, never works. The dribbler either grabs the ball first, or the opponent grabs the ball first. I've been playing, coaching, officiating, and observing basketball games for fifty-five years and I've never observed this "play" work. Never. Ever. But it's always fun watching little kids try it. And, maybe, someday I'll see it work. There can always be a first time.

I've observed high school players, in this situation, avoid a backcourt violation by following the ball, but not touching it, oddly choosing an out of bounds violation instead of a backcourt violation, sometimes leading to an oddly advantageous throwin for the opponents.

Quote:
Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt. While dribbling, he has both feet in the front court, but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Regardless of the frontcourt status of the feet and the ball, this play (original post above) as written (before bbcowboy's Post #14 additional information), is never a backcourt violation. The ball touching the floor in the backcourt (alone) does not make this a backcourt violation. Something else (an offensive touch), unwritten in the original post, needs to happen for this to be a backcourt violation. If it's a controlled dribble, it's probably going to happen (offensive touch and thus, backcourt), but if the dribble takes an odd bounce and bounces a few feet away from the dribbler, untouched, into the backcourt, it doesn't become a backcourt violation until that offensive touch happens, so, in this specific case, it's important that officials don't sound a premature whistle.

While I may be at fault for not reading something into the original post that's definitely not there, one can also be faulted for reading something into the original post that's definitely not there. My takeaway point throughout this thread: The ball has to return to the hand, both on a written test, and in a real game, for this to be a violation, and I believe, especially for young'uns, that this is a valid point to make in situations like this.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 05:24pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How many experienced officials would think they have to explicitly state the ball returned to the player's hand?

Not sure about the relevance of either of these questions, but bottom line, the ball does have to return to the hand, both on a written test, and in a real game, for this to be a violation.

Any official that calls this violation when the ball first touches the backcourt, without waiting for the next offensive touch, could be open for a little criticism, maybe not from most fans, or from inexperienced officials, but from experienced officials observing, or a few knowledgeable fans, or perhaps even a few knowledgeable coaches, especially if the ball takes an odd bounce and bounces a few feet away from the dribbler, untouched, into the backcourt.

Even little kids seem to know the rule. If one officiates little kids long enough, eventually one will observe a little kid, who in this situation, knows that they can't be the first to touch the ball, so they follow the ball closely, with both hands ready to grab the ball after an opponent barely touches it. This, or course, never works. The dribbler either grabs the ball first, or the opponent grabs the ball first. I've been playing, coaching, officiating, and observing basketball games for fifty-five years and I've never observed this "play" work. Never. Ever. But it's always fun watching little kids try it. And, maybe, someday I'll see it work. There can always be a first time.

I've observed high school players, in this situation, avoid a backcourt violation by following the ball, but not touching it, oddly choosing an out of bounds violation instead of a backcourt violation, sometimes leading to an oddly advantageous throwin for the opponents.

Regardless of the frontcourt status of the feet and the ball, this play (original post above) as written (before bbcowboy's Post #14 additional information), is never a backcourt violation. The ball touching the floor in the backcourt (alone) does not make this a backcourt violation. Something else (an offensive touch), unwritten in the original post, needs to happen for this to be a backcourt violation. If it's a controlled dribble, it's probably going to happen (offensive touch and thus, backcourt), but if the dribble takes an odd bounce and bounces a few feet away from the dribbler, untouched, into the backcourt, it doesn't become a backcourt violation until that offensive touch happens, so, in this specific case, it's important that officials don't sound a premature whistle.
How about this Billy? Wheb somebody says a player is dribbling, we're going to assume the ball returns to his hands unless it is explicitly stated that it did not.

That's what normal people do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Ifs, Ands, Or Buts ...

Quote:
When somebody says a player is dribbling, we're going to assume the ball returns to his hands unless it is explicitly stated that it did not.
Here's the explicit qualifying statement, the ending statement of the original post's description the situation: "but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt". That's how the description ends.

Are you saying that me stating that he ball has to return to the hand for this to be a violation is not a valid point to make in situations (written test, or real life game) like this?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 10:46am.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Here's the explicit qualifying statement, the ending statement of the original post's description the situation: but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt. That's how the description ends.
Everyone, other than you knew what he meant

Anything to keep your word and post count up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Horton Hears A Who ...

Quote:
Everyone? Then why did bob jenkins agree with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree it wouldn't be a backcourt violation.
I kinda knew what bbcowboy meant, but wanted it further qualified, which bbcowboy kindly replied to.

Note: Original question could have been presented better, with ODog's and JRutledge's questions regarding frontcourt status, and my question about a second offensive touch.

Again,
Quote:
Are you saying that me stating that he ball has to return to the hand for this to be a violation is not a valid point to make in situations (written test, or real life game) like this?
Valid point, or not?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 12:33pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Talk Amongst Yourselves (Coffee Talk) ...

Quote:
Would like to see some discussion regarding original post situation #2.

Quote:
2 Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt. While dribbling, he places one foot on the division line, but the other foot and the ball remain in the frontcourt, Is this a backcourt violation?
Quote:
Does the hand have to be in contact with the ball for the backcourt violation to be called? What if the foot in on the division line while the ball is mid-dribble (not being touched by the ball handler at that second), and then the foot comes off the division line back into the frontcourt when the dribbler next touches the ball?

9-3-1-Note: A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds. The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

The citation above twice mentions out of bounds. Boundary is mentioned once. The division line is a boundary line, but it's not out of bounds. The citation is 9-3-1-Note. 9-3 deals with Out Of Bounds. 9-9 deals with Backcourt.

I never check for the hand in contact with the ball when a dribbler touches the division line with his foot in this situation, I just sound my whistle for the backcourt violation and move on. Is that technically and/or literally correct? Or is it only correct by purpose and intent? Or is it incorrect?
Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 12:32pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Basically. And he posted two more times with multiple quotes after you made this comment. LOL!!!!

Peace
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm A Cheap Bastard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... posted two more times ...
I must maintain my Esteemed Forum Member status. If I don't post enough, I lose my Esteemed Forum Member status, but more importantly, I lose my Esteemed Forum Member discount and have to pay Regular Forum Member annual dues.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 01:21pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I must maintain my Esteemed Forum Member status. If I don't post enough, I lose my Esteemed Forum Member status, but more importantly, I lose my Esteemed Forum Member discount and have to pay Regular Forum Member annual dues.
If you slow down--just a bit--I'll open a kickstarter account to cover your dues.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 02:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Miss Mark Padgett ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
If you slow down--just a bit--I'll open a kickstarter account to cover your dues.
It appears that Mark Padgett has hung up is whistle for good. Hopefully he didn't get it stuck in his pants zipper.

He always told me that he was the Official Forum treasurer and that I must send him my annual Official Forum dues, in small, unmarked, non-sequential serial numbers, US currency. And would always give me the Esteemed Forum Member annual dues discount.

Who's the Official Forum treasurer now? Do I still get my Esteemed Forum Member annual dues discount? Must Official Forum annual dues still be paid in small, unmarked, non-sequential serial numbers, US currency? Or can I just provide my checking account routing number and account number?

I miss Mark Padgett. When he wasn't joking around, which was almost all the time, he had a lot to add to Forum discussions regarding basketball officiating, especially recreation level basketball.

I also loved his "hard nosed, blue collar, south side of Chicago" philosophy.

Even though he lived in Oregon, and was a pot smoking, tree hugging, pig heart transplanted, Jewish hippie, he was always, first, a proud Chicagoan.

And, of course, he was our resident Law and Order expert.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 02:59pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's the explicit qualifying statement, the ending statement of the original post's description the situation: "but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt". That's how the description ends.

I will say it regarding situations like this.

You quoted it as "the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt."

"On the dribble" is the key phrase for me. If it did not return to the hand, then it would not be a dribble. To me that sounds far more logical than your point.

Love you BM.