The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 09:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The schools around here simply have the timer sound the horn three times when the clock reaches 3 minutes.
That is the case in Indiana. Every gym has a horn going off. I noticed this first when I would do college games in Indiana and obviously noticed it when I started doing HS games here too.

Peace
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 10:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Notified ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The schools around here simply have the timer sound the horn three times when the clock reaches 3 minutes.
Certainly fulfills the requirement of the teams being notified.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 10:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not My Job ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Some states make it a requirement.
I've often heard that here on the Forum, so I agree.

But that's on the state, not on the NFHS.

If I don't see any "fashion" problems in the pregame warmups, I will just say to the coaches "Coaches, please make sure that your uniforms and equipment are legal, and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit good sportsmanship".

Short and sweet, and hopefully fulfilling my NFHS requirement of verification.

I may add a statement regarding the coaching box, or about thirty/sixty second timeouts, but that depends on my mood, who the coaches are, who my partner is, and whether I'm the referee, or the umpire.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 02, 2019 at 12:47pm.
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The rule states that it is the responsibility of the referee to have each team notified three minutes before each half is to begin.

If I'm the referee, when I grab my jacket at the beginning of the halftime intermission, I just say to the timekeeper, "Notify both teams and the officials when there are three minutes left in halftime".
Yes, "have", but the point is the same. I have never done it and have never seen any other referee tell anybody to have the teams notified. Never.

Quote:
Why ask? Who says we have to ask?
Um, I thought you (NFHS) did when you posted:

"Referee’s Pregame Duties
2-2-5: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest."

Verifying carries with it the same context as asking IMO. It is impossible to verify with a coach that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest. No one can predict the future can they? And few coaches are aware of what their players are wearing. Coaches may at times go out of their way to point certain items out (thick padding, mask, etc.), but only because they may be abnormal. I understand that the point is to simply plant the idea that everyone is good to go, but my point is that, to me, this, in the rules, is irrelevant to the game and that very few officials do it. Also, that the coaches could answer with a "no" or that they give an insincere (because they are not sure) "yes" or that they use the default answer of "should be."

Quote:
Certainly fulfills the requirement of the teams being notified.
Yes, there are horns to notify teams but there are few teams in locker rooms that can hear them. Come to think of it, I have never heard a 3-minute warning horn from an officials locker room and have never heard one that was simultaneous with someone knocking on the door to personally notify us. Where are these gym and locker rooms where people can hear a horn at 3 minutes? And for college games, rarely can you hear a horn from a locker room. That's what makes having the clock in the officials locker room so nice. I would not call it fulfilling the requirement if there is a possibility that a team may not hear it.

I can see it now:

Coach: Why didn't anyone come get us?
Official: Sorry, you should have been able to hear the horn from your locker room that was down the hall and through two doors.

Last edited by bucky; Thu May 02, 2019 at 03:14pm.
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 03:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
...Where are these gym and locker rooms where people can hear a horn at 3 minutes? And for college games, rarely can you hear a horn from a locker room. That's what makes having the clock in the officials locker room so nice. I would not call it fulfilling the requirement if there is a possibility that a team may not hear it.
You guys need stronger horns.

Quote:
I can see it now:

Coach: Why didn't anyone come get us?
Official: Sorry, you should have been able to hear the horn from your locker room that was down the hall and through two doors.
If a team isn't back by the 1:00 mark, I send someone to go get them.
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 03:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Verification ...

Quote:
Verifying carries with it the same context as asking IMO
Here in my little corner of Connecticut:

Quote:
I don't ask. I mention it and then point out any visible problems that I might have observed pregame, and then tell the coach to take care of said problems before the game starts ... problems do exist, they can be taken care of by the coach pregame, otherwise some starters or substitutes may be delayed getting into the game.
Quote:
If I don't see any "fashion" problems in the pregame warmups, I will just say to the coaches "Coaches, please make sure that your uniforms and equipment are legal, and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit good sportsmanship". Short and sweet, and hopefully fulfilling my NFHS requirement of verification.
We don't ask simply because most coaches have no idea what's legal and what's illegal and really don't know how to answer.

I can understand why some will "ask" to verify, but it's there's another way to verify without asking, I say go for it.

Remember, it's all about the purpose and intent of the rule, not necessarily the literal rule as written.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 02, 2019 at 04:58pm.
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Ounce Of Prevention Is Worth A Pound Of Cure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If a team isn't back by the 1:00 mark, I send someone to go get them.
Same here.

No three minute horns here in my little corner of Connecticut. We usually get a knock on the door.

For us, I would guess that about 75% of the timekeepers remember to send someone to knock on the official's locker room door and the team's locker room doors, even when reminded by the referee before halftime. Lower percentage for non-varsity games.

As officials we always try to keep track of time and often end up walking back the court on our own with no three minute knock on the door.

How about some classic 1970 Tony Orlando and Dawn?

Anybody over a certain age should know what song this is without clicking, if not, you should be ashamed of yourself.

https://youtu.be/wT5ms2Nvpco

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 02, 2019 at 05:01pm.
Old Sat May 11, 2019, 07:23am
Do not give a damn!!

NCAA (some) Changes you will see (or not see)

At a camp where this was discussed right from the NCAA Committee Meeting.
  • The NCAA Men's is not going to quarters. They would lose a media timeout and they make too much money off of that media timeout set up.
  • Not advancing the ball.
  • Moving the 3 point shot to the international level and not widening the lane.
  • Stopping the clock is not going anywhere. They like the fact they have reduced "blarges."
  • 20 second reset after offensive rebounds.
  • Coaches get timeout request ability in the last two minutes of regulation and last two minutes of overtime.

Finally, we were told the Women's Tournament loses 15 million dollars a year.

The Men's Tournament makes a little over a Billion dollar (YES with a "B"). Just because the women's games does something does not mean the Men's game feels the need to do things.

Some of these have not been officially approved, that will happen in June. There was more changes I am sure, but we only addressed the ones that were asked of the person that sits in those meetings.

Peace
Old Sat May 11, 2019, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

If history serves, the NFHS rules changes will be out this week. Last year, the release was dated May 16, which was Wednesday.

I don't expect much.
Old Sat May 11, 2019, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
[*]20 second reset after offensive rebounds.
This will be a DISASTER with JuCo/small college tables.

Are all shot clocks even capable of having two different live-ball reset options?

Also I find it funny what you said about blarges. They literally had one in the first round of the tournament this year.
Old Sat May 11, 2019, 10:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anticipation (Carly Simon, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If history serves, the NFHS rules changes will be out this week. Last year, the release was dated May 16, which was Wednesday.
It's like Heinz ketchup.

https://youtu.be/02dpccX6LNU

Old Sat May 11, 2019, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're fortunate here in Connecticut … the $13.00 we individually pay for annual dues to belong to the state interscholastic sports governing body's officials association … free admission to all regular season interscholastic sports, free admission to all post season interscholastic tournament basketball games ...
Now that is sweet. Anyone else have this? I'm jealous.
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 08:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Are all shot clocks even capable of having two different live-ball reset options?

Also I find it funny what you said about blarges. They literally had one in the first round of the tournament this year.
"Blarges" used to be very common and they are not as common anymore. I did not say or it was not said they never happened. BUt when people get so in their feelings about why that requirement is not removed, this is why. Bottom line they have stats on this issue and said it was proven they have gone down since the emphasis.

Also if there are officials that were to be chosen for the NCAA Tournament based off of one or two things and things like not stopping the clock was considered, he would pick someone else. So it matters if the boss says they want you to do something and you say it is silly and do not do it. Kind of how a lot of things work. Again, I am just passing along information.

Peace
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 10:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Tickets ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Now that is sweet. Anyone else have this? I'm jealous.
Nice benefit.

The $13.00 isn't paid individually, it's built into my local board's annual dues.

Observed my buddies working about a dozen tournament games this past season, saved me over $60.00.

Dues this year were only $100.00, down from $125.00 the year previous.

We saved some money on our end of year banquet.

Buffet instead of sit down, open bar only during the cocktail hour.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 12, 2019 at 04:32pm.
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Daktronics shot clocks do have 2 reset options. Newer Nevco models also have 2 options, as do Fair-Play models. Daktronics shot clock controllers have Reset 1 and Reset 2 buttons, Fair-Play shot clock controllers have 2 buttons as well, and the newer Nevco shot clock controllers that look like a small walkie-talkie also have separate buttons for each shot clock reset value (a controller can have up to 3 values saved). This means that reseting to 30 or 20, and keeping the shot clock running, should not be an issue, as long as the operator does not press the start-stop button to stop the shot clock while it is being reset.

Note: I have been an ECO, mostly with Daktronics scoreboards with shot clock capabilities. I know how Daktronics scoreboards work, less so about Fair-Play and Nevco (reading through the scoreboard operation manuals).