The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm letting this thread go mainly because I can't believe the crew did so well last night that most of the discussion is around the freaking jump ball.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not even a video request for the jump ball or an interest in discussing what we can do better. Just a sarcastic "do they allow that, LOL?" How anyone thinks a thread like this is productive or helpful is beyond me.
My question is when was the last time they saw a stolen tip called? I do not know when that took place.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My question is when was the last time they saw a stolen tip called? I do not know when that took place.

Peace
I think it was with about 20 minutes left in the first half. Sorry that I can't be more precise -- but I hope that's close enough for you to be able to find the video.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm letting this thread go mainly because I can't believe the crew did so well last night that most of the discussion is around the freaking jump ball.
I didn't even notice either of last night's jump balls. If I see a stolen tip, I whistle it back. I know I've done it once within the last year, but it was so unmemorable to me that I don't even remember what the game was. I think it was a preseason college scrimmage.

Now I'm sitting back waiting for a teaching point so I can make my games better. For some reason I don't think there will be any type of teaching point forthcoming.

chapmaja, thedewed, matt s.---what do y'all have for me?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 11:35am.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think it was with about 20 minutes left in the first half. Sorry that I can't be more precise -- but I hope that's close enough for you to be able to find the video.
Are you sure it wasn't 20 minutes after halftime intermission?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I think I would have had a hard time finding it since there were two in this game. Not sure when the other one happened either.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Like other “rare” calls, it has to be blatantly obvious for me to whistle it. A lot of jump balls probably are “technically” stolen, but everyone I’ve ever looked up to says you don’t want to start the game off with that call unless you really have no other option.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I didn't even notice either of last night's jump balls. If I see a stolen tip, I whistle it back. I know I've done it once within the last year, but it was so unmemorable to me that I don't even remember what the game was. I think it was a preseason college scrimmage.

Now I'm sitting back waiting for a teaching point so I can make my games better. For some reason I don't think there will be any type of teaching point forthcoming.

chapmaja, thedewed, matt s.---what do y'all have for me?
Well, since you called me out, I'll humor you:

1. Call the obvious
2. Calling back a marginally-stolen tip is likely setting a precedent for that game that an official might regret - because both coaches (especially the one who was penalized) are going to expect you to call EVERYTHING.
3. Why can't we all get along??!!
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
Wasn't it a stolen tip?
By NFHS rule 6.3.6, yes, there was a violation on the jump ball to start the game. "One or both jumpers must touch the ball after it has reached its highest point."

I'm guessing the rule for college men's is the same, but not positive.

I've been seeing this type of play happening more and more at both the college and high school level with no whistle. Either it's U1's and U2's not being ready to observe this or maybe it's a growing thought of "as long as nothing egregious occurs, let's just get the game going", as the jump ball procedure becomes more of a 'nuisance' in today's game.

On the flips side however, the NBA still loves the jump ball!!
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
By NFHS rule 6.3.6, yes, there was a violation on the jump ball to start the game. "One or both jumpers must touch the ball after it has reached its highest point."

I'm guessing the rule for college men's is the same, but not positive.

I've been seeing this type of play happening more and more at both the college and high school level with no whistle. Either it's U1's and U2's not being ready to observe this or maybe it's a growing thought of "as long as nothing egregious occurs, let's just get the game going", as the jump ball procedure becomes more of a 'nuisance' in today's game.

On the flips side however, the NBA still loves the jump ball!!
The other team gets two of the next three.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a stolen tip, but the other jumper was trying to do the same thing and got beat to it. Interesting situation. do you call it? how bad does it need to be before you call it? Is it relevant that the other jumper was right there with him?

It is a conversation moment. I found it ironic that they appeared to miss something so quickly.

But I will say I thought that group last night did a great, great job.

I still maintain that the instant replay changing calls on o/b plays does change calls that normally aren't even thought about in live play. If a defender gets hand on ball, but doesn't follow through completely, much of the time the ball possessor is technically the last to touch, because his hand is still on it last. We all tend to call it out on the one that gave it the most impetus. That was the case with the reversal in the last minute. And I didn't think the activity as TT was gathering the ball in transition was a foul.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No More Jump Balls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
... the NBA still loves the jump ball!!
Since when is NBA the initials of Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

No more jump balls, give the ball to the visitors to start the game and use the possession arrow for the rest the game, including any overtimes.

Retire the jump ball and send it to where they keep the peach baskets and chicken wire boundaries, in Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s attic.

Also, as a preemptive strike, "Shut up Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Now I'm sitting back waiting for a teaching point so I can make my games better. ...
Here's a sequence maybe Rut can dial up for us:

About 6:00 to go in regulation, Kyle Guy from UVA is seemingly tied up or fouled on the perimeter …

… play continues, UVA player ends up with the ball under the hoop. He backs into and displaces TT's Tariq Owens to create space for a good hoop and a foul. Owens fouled out on the play.

I'd like to hear people's perspectives on the whole sequence, but particularly the foul that was whistled. I might have gone PC, if anything.

There is an overhead replay of this too, Rut. Thanks.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Neve mind. I missed the "2019 Nat Ch Game video request thread."
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 03:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Neve mind. I missed the "2019 Nat Ch Game video request thread."
Are you saying the play was posted? I just want to make sure I posted that play you are talking about?

Peace