The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 11:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
It's wasn't all the time, but was VERY COMMON in my area. I don't know if it's lack of skillful players or coaching philosophy in this area, but teams were more than happy to hold onto the ball for 1-2 minutes to get the last shot.

Some of you(not necessarily you personally) veteran, decorated officials are acting like the addition of a shot clock substantially changes your job. I'm surprised at the reaction. Is it because you work primarily 2 man crews?
I have been working 3 person for over 20 years for every varsity contest. And I have one college ball for about 15 of those years. Working college took some time to get used to the little idiosyncrasies and does change some basic things you have to watch. We have officials at the high school level that struggle with just the clock. Now you want to add a very specific element to the game that will influence games, especially near the end if you mess up a basic reset or reset when there is not possession. I can tell you that this is a problem at the small college level where they have multiple table people and even a play-by-play record and people keeping other information. We are lucky at the high school level to get 3 good people at the table and even then we have to correct them. I just do not think this is necessary to make the game better. We will just have multiple stoppages and corrections I would rather not have people that cannot rotate well, asking them to now look at the clock more.

Again, I have no huge problem personally with the shot clock. It is probably coming, but there are officials I do not trust to get these things right. And I certainly do not trust the table people to get things right with people who are basically fans trying to run this system. Heck just having a system where "recall" is used is a must a lot of time. Instead of hearing about slow down games, we will hear about shot clock situations as we hear about at the D1 level and officials that are much more experienced miss a basic shot clock situation and they have a monitor. We will not have a monitor. Good luck with that as stated.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Another rule change I would like to see is changing the requirement for the book to be ready at the 10 minute mark. How many times is the book anywhere near ready in a pre-season tournament when the teams only have 10 minutes or so to warm up?

I suppose it needs to be done and set for bookkeepers to not be rushed at the end, and coaches to figure defensive match-ups, but maybe move it to the 3 or 5 minute mark. I think few officials strictly enforce it now because its looked at as a bookkeeping thing that has no real impact on the game. Sort of like the rule change of going OOB to avoid a screen was changed from a T to a violation because no one would call it, maybe making it a more reasonable time would help.

And btw, I'm not looking to call it then either, but it feels odd to seemingly set aside a rule when teams don't have ample warm-up time. It would be just nice to be consistent regardless of the circumstances.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

The book doesn't have to be ready by 10 minutes. The requirement is for the team to supply the scorer with a numbered roster and designate the starting five. Whether that information is recorded properly in the book at that point is irrelevant.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Another rule change I would like to see is changing the requirement for the book to be ready at the 10 minute mark. How many times is the book anywhere near ready in a pre-season tournament when the teams only have 10 minutes or so to warm up?
The book doesn't have to be ready at 10 minutes. The teams only have to have provided their roster and designated their starters by the time. If the scorer is just slow in getting the info transferred it's not a technical foul.

This is why I don't understand why some officials are so anal about going over at 12ish minutes to "correct anything before you have to give a T." There is nothing that says you have to give a T if the official book isn't completely filled out at 10:00.

Unfortunately many officials just simply don't know the rule.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The book doesn't have to be ready at 10 minutes. The teams only have to have provided their roster and designated their starters by the time. If the scorer is just slow in getting the info transferred it's not a technical foul.

This is why I don't understand why some officials are so anal about going over at 12ish minutes to "correct anything before you have to give a T." There is nothing that says you have to give a T if the official book isn't completely filled out at 10:00.

Unfortunately many officials just simply don't know the rule.
What if said officials are going over to make sure that the roster and 5 starters has been submitted to the scorer and they aren't necessarily checking the book? If you can go over around the 12 minute mark and check that, you can remind the coaches to submit their roster and 5 starters to the table by the 10 minute mark. However long it takes the scorer to transfer the information to the official book is irrelevant. By doing that, you are avoiding a T.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
What if said officials are going over to make sure that the roster and 5 starters has been submitted to the scorer and they aren't necessarily checking the book? If you can go over around the 12 minute mark and check that, you can remind the coaches to submit their roster and 5 starters to the table by the 10 minute mark. However long it takes the scorer to transfer the information to the official book is irrelevant. By doing that, you are avoiding a T.
Perhaps but in my experience most R's are going over to sign the book, not to just make sure teams have submitted the required info. And many have the notion that the book must be ready at 10:00.

And for the record, I sign the book at 10:00 if it's ready, but if it's not I'm not standing over the scorer's shoulder waiting for him/her to get everything in.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I usually go over between 11:00 and 12:00 to make sure both teams have submitted rosters with starters. Then I go back to sign it if the scorer has not finished copying everything in the book.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I usually go over between 11:00 and 12:00 to make sure both teams have submitted rosters with starters. Then I go back to sign it if the scorer has not finished copying everything in the book.
Why not sign it there when you there the first time? Your signature in the book has nothing to do with it being filled out. It is just identifying who the officials were for the game.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why not sign it there when you there the first time? Your signature in the book has nothing to do with it being filled out. It is just identifying who the officials were for the game.
Different areas have different requirements and meanings on this.

I put a line after the last name and initial the line. Now, I can see if someone was added afterwards (recognizing that there might be a legitimate reason to do so). So, I need the book completed before I can do that.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

The book just has to be ready when the game starts honestly. And if you requrire the book to be ready before then, you are putting that on people that might not be associated with the teams or have an interest to get the book done before that time. I have literally had scorebook people get up and not come back until a minute before game time and both teams submitted all their information. And in one case, the scorekeeper did not put any of the information in the book correctly, so we literally had several players from both teams not listed properly.

All I do is when the book is filled out, I have the coach sign off on the fact that all information is correct. Then if there is a mistake or they find something, they can have it corrected immediately without any penalty. I do this so that we do not have a player not listed or the wrong started listed and someone is claiming there should be a penalty. It also puts the responsibility on the coaches so that they cannot tell me later, "We gave them this list and they copied that list instead." This is especially true during tournaments where the host school or entity is not playing the game at hand.

For the record, I only sign the book when all of this is done. I do not want anyone claiming I saw something and allowed it to take place. Just another way to cover all the bases of the recording information.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Back in my days as a manager everybody(or so it except us) played zone. So late in games where we had leads or were trying to get a last shot we pulled the ball out to force them out of the zone. AND if the game went OT and we won the tip and the other team played zone we pulled it out to make them come out and play man. Once we changed leagues our strategy changed as almost everybody in the other league played man.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I am strongly against a shot clock. I haven’t been on a game in a couple years where it was necessary. Not to mention that’s one more major thing for us to worry about, one more major thing that will get screwed up at the table. This is a solution looking for a problem.
We have had a shot clock in Maryland for 2 years now. It works well. I would say I have had about 3 shot clock violations and I work about 50 games a year here it is used. It makes the game easier in the last 2 or 3 minutes, where I have seen teams with a lead, in the past, stall from the 3 minute mark.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I would say I have had about 3 shot clock violations and I work about 50 games a year here it is used.
This is why so many of us think the shot clock is not necessary. It's a solution to a non-existent problem.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

To me, this is just the sign of Maryland teams getting used to playing with a shot clock. In DC, I have also had shot clock violations in my games, although most have come without them. I have also (informally) timed games across the bridge in VA with a shot clock, and I have noticed between 2 and 5 shot clock violations per game on average. There tend to be more shot cook violations in girls games, and in the playoffs, in my experience.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
To me, this is just the sign of Maryland teams getting used to playing with a shot clock. In DC, I have also had shot clock violations in my games, although most have come without them. I have also (informally) timed games across the bridge in VA with a shot clock, and I have noticed between 2 and 5 shot clock violations per game on average. There tend to be more shot cook violations in girls games, and in the playoffs, in my experience.
How much time is on the shot clock? 30, 35 seconds?