The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:17pm
CJP CJP is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That begs the question, would the game have not improved absent the seatbelt rule?
Depends on how much tolerance you have. I don't have much for a coach who already got his first T.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Depends on how much tolerance you have. I don't have much for a coach who already got his first T.
That has nothing to do with the seatbelt rule.

In other words, the game improves because the coach got a T, not because he has to sit.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:56pm
CJP CJP is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That has nothing to do with the seatbelt rule.

In other words, the game improves because the coach got a T, not because he has to sit.
If you say so.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Disagree 100%. We adopted the shot clock a few years back and you hardly notice it at all. Keeps the pace of the game up. You also don't get teams holding the ball for 2 minutes of game time any more.
I don't see that without the shot clock more than 1-2 times a year....it is a solution looking for a problem.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Disagree 100%. We adopted the shot clock a few years back and you hardly notice it at all. Keeps the pace of the game up. You also don't get teams holding the ball for 2 minutes of game time any more.
I cannot remember the last time I have seen a team hold the ball for 2 minutes in my career. I have certainly had it happen, but we are talking over 10 years ago. And the only time I see a team hold the ball for more than 30 or 40 seconds, is so they get the last shot in the quarter. That is actually very common in college games too more than high school.

I love how the narrative is to suggest this is something going on all the time when it simply is not the case.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,661
I don't understand why the pro-shot clock crowd talks about how awful stalling is but never says anything about the defenses sitting back and not making any attempt to get a count or force action.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:25pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,730
Shot Clock and Lack of Sufficient Action.

Since most everyone knows my position with regard to Shot Clocks, my suggestion is to bring back the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule with one tweak bring back the Mid-Court and Forecourt Areas to make the Rule easier to adjudicate.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 02:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,353
And We'll Need A Ladder Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Since most everyone knows my position with regard to Shot Clocks, my suggestion is to bring back the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule with one tweak bring back the Mid-Court and Forecourt Areas to make the Rule easier to adjudicate.
And don't forget the peach baskets. We gotta get the peach baskets back.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Since most everyone knows my position with regard to Shot Clocks, my suggestion is to bring back the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule with one tweak bring back the Mid-Court and Forecourt Areas to make the Rule easier to adjudicate.

MTD, Sr.
I love your nostalgia on these things, but they are not bringing back that rule. They will put in the shot clock before they bring back that silly rule.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That has nothing to do with the seatbelt rule.

In other words, the game improves because the coach got a T, not because he has to sit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
If you say so.
That's been my experience at the college level. HC gets a T and pretty much STFU the rest of the game and sticks to coaching.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't see that without the shot clock more than 1-2 times a year....it is a solution looking for a problem.
That may be true in your area, but not in mine. Saying it's a solution looking for a problem does not make it true for the whole high school basketball playing population.

In our area, it was common to see a team pass/hold a ball for 1-2 minutes at the end of a quarter or game to get the last shot.

I understand that adding the shot clock to areas where 2 man crews are the norm may make it harder, but if you work 3 man, the shot clock doesn't have much effect on the officials. If you can't handle adding the shot clock, well.......
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot remember the last time I have seen a team hold the ball for 2 minutes in my career. I have certainly had it happen, but we are talking over 10 years ago. And the only time I see a team hold the ball for more than 30 or 40 seconds, is so they get the last shot in the quarter. That is actually very common in college games too more than high school.

I love how the narrative is to suggest this is something going on all the time when it simply is not the case.

Peace
It's wasn't all the time, but was VERY COMMON in my area. I don't know if it's lack of skillful players or coaching philosophy in this area, but teams were more than happy to hold onto the ball for 1-2 minutes to get the last shot.

Some of you(not necessarily you personally) veteran, decorated officials are acting like the addition of a shot clock substantially changes your job. I'm surprised at the reaction. Is it because you work primarily 2 man crews?
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't understand why the pro-shot clock crowd talks about how awful stalling is but never says anything about the defenses sitting back and not making any attempt to get a count or force action.
It's not out of the question to have a quality team be very capable of passing the ball around and dribbling around for 1-2 minutes if the defense forces the action.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
It's not out of the question to have a quality team be very capable of passing the ball around and dribbling around for 1-2 minutes if the defense forces the action.
Good for them. Seriously. They should be allowed to continue to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Good for them. Seriously. They should be allowed to continue to do so.
Absolutely! That's not inactivity, that's not a game killer. I don't know why we seem determined to force teams out of a possession.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 nfhs agr8zebra Softball 3 Sun Feb 03, 2019 01:22pm
2019 NFHS Rule Changes Stat-Man Softball 16 Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54pm
NFHS questionnaire SNIPERBBB Basketball 94 Tue Feb 14, 2017 01:17pm
NFHS Questionnaire BillyMac Basketball 42 Mon Mar 02, 2015 02:37pm
NFHS survey questionnaire 26 Year Gap Basketball 34 Tue Feb 21, 2012 02:38pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1