View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 11:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
It's wasn't all the time, but was VERY COMMON in my area. I don't know if it's lack of skillful players or coaching philosophy in this area, but teams were more than happy to hold onto the ball for 1-2 minutes to get the last shot.

Some of you(not necessarily you personally) veteran, decorated officials are acting like the addition of a shot clock substantially changes your job. I'm surprised at the reaction. Is it because you work primarily 2 man crews?
I have been working 3 person for over 20 years for every varsity contest. And I have one college ball for about 15 of those years. Working college took some time to get used to the little idiosyncrasies and does change some basic things you have to watch. We have officials at the high school level that struggle with just the clock. Now you want to add a very specific element to the game that will influence games, especially near the end if you mess up a basic reset or reset when there is not possession. I can tell you that this is a problem at the small college level where they have multiple table people and even a play-by-play record and people keeping other information. We are lucky at the high school level to get 3 good people at the table and even then we have to correct them. I just do not think this is necessary to make the game better. We will just have multiple stoppages and corrections I would rather not have people that cannot rotate well, asking them to now look at the clock more.

Again, I have no huge problem personally with the shot clock. It is probably coming, but there are officials I do not trust to get these things right. And I certainly do not trust the table people to get things right with people who are basically fans trying to run this system. Heck just having a system where "recall" is used is a must a lot of time. Instead of hearing about slow down games, we will hear about shot clock situations as we hear about at the D1 level and officials that are much more experienced miss a basic shot clock situation and they have a monitor. We will not have a monitor. Good luck with that as stated.

Peace